• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton University shooter charged with "possession of a firearm on school grounds"

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Kid that shot people in a dorm at Hampton U. How is it that he was on a university's campus and got that charge? I thought it was K-12 only?

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/police-identify-suspected-hampton-university-shooter

Reads in part:
Odane Greg Maye, 18, of Richmond was charged Wednesday with two counts of aggravated malicious wounding, two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, one count of breaking and entering while armed, one count of possession of a firearm on school grounds, and one count of discharging a firearm in an occupied dwelling.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
How is that even a charge? It is a public university!?:cuss:
I think they are private...I mistakenly typed "public university" earlier and then edited it. Either way it shouldn't matter. Trespassing might apply since it is private, but doesn't change the charge.

I also wondered about the lack of 'attempted murder'. Something must not have fit the criteria.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
How is that even a charge? It is a public university!?:cuss:
I think they are private...I mistakenly typed "public university" earlier and then edited it. Either way it shouldn't matter. Trespassing might apply since it is private, but doesn't change the charge.

I also wondered about the lack of 'attempted murder'. Something must not have fit the criteria.
I wouldthink that shooting someonewould be attempted murder.

TexasNative

imported post

I'd be willing to bet Ed's paycheck that some dumba... erm... underinformed police official is unaware that the law the suspect is charged with breaking only applies to K-12 schools.

doug23838

imported post

This guy robbed a bank (with a kinfe )and was charged....

Taylor is being held at the Dinwiddie County Jail without bond and is charged with robbery and entering a bank armed with a deadly weapon. He will appear in Dinwiddie General District on Thursday.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?s=10227472

Sometimes I wonder if the reporter is clueless, or if the story is worded in such a way as to lead 99% of the public to conclude that "possession of a gun or knife in a bank is illegal."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

doug23838 wrote:

Taylor is being held at the Dinwiddie County Jail without bond and is charged with robbery and entering a bank armed with a deadly weapon. He will appear in Dinwiddie General District on Thursday.

Sometimes I wonder if the reporter is clueless, or if the story is worded in such a way as to lead 99% of the public to conclude that "possession of a gun or knife in a bank is illegal."
It called poetic license, though it has neither rhyme nor reason.

All the news that is fit to distort.

Yata hey

vt357

imported post

doug23838 wrote:

I believe there is a Va law that says it's illegal to enter a bank with a weapon if you intend to commit a crime. It's basically an add-on charge to the robbery. Kind of like use of a firearm in commission of a felony added to murder charges. I do believe you're right though, most people hear what the reporter says and assume it's always illegal to have a weapon in a bank.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I think public laws are kinda like the military UCMJ. You get charged with a truckload of stuff by someone creatively writing the charges, then throwing it against the walland then it goes to the courts and they see what actually sticks... How persuasive can a trial lawyer be? We've probebly all heard about soem pretty silly charges that "stuck" because a slick lawyer sold the jury a "pint of snake oil".

Mr. Engineer

imported post

Hampton University is a private university. Thank goodness the government isn't involved in the administration process :celebrate