• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which outdoor range was vandalized?

hunter45

imported post

I remember seeing a thread on here about an outdoor range that was recently vandalized and there was a phone number to call to get information about helping clean it up. I tried to search for it but I can't find it. The JMU Students for Concealed Carry on Campus group is trying to find some type of community service to do, so I thought this would be a good idea. Thanks for the help!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I remember seeing a thread on here about an outdoor range that was recently vandalized and there was a phone number to call to get information about helping clean it up. I tried to search for it but I can't find it. The JMU Students for Concealed Carry on Campus group is trying to find some type of community service to do, so I thought this would be a good idea. Thanks for the help!
I believe it was a Va. Dept. of Game & Fisheries range.

BTW - none of their ranges allow pistol shooting. My inquiry as to why, got the response that their ranges were for hunters. I pointed out that some hunt with pistols and got nothing back.

Yata hey

essayons

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
I believe it was a Va. Dept. of Game & Fisheries range.

BTW - none of their ranges allow pistol shooting. My inquiry as to why, got the response that their ranges were for hunters. I pointed out that some hunt with pistols and got nothing back.

Yata hey
There used to be a great pistol range at the Chickahominy WMA, but they closed it down. The statement released by VGDIF was that it was overly crowded due to pistol shooters and most of the users were non-hunters. Apparently it was costing alot to maintain the range because of the amount of shooters and the purpose of the VGDIF was to serve hunters.

Perhaps the VCDL could put pressure on lawmakers to support recreational shooting?

EDIT: WMA's statement on closure of the Chickahominy range

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wmas/cwma-shooting-range.pdf

hunter45

imported post

I just realized that it was in a VCDL newsletter where I read about this. For some reason I thought that there was a thread about this on the forum, but I think it was just in the e-mail where I saw it. This is the part of the newsletter that was I referring to:

Our rights to use firearms have come under fire during the past several months, and so have the places we can legally practice those rights. Many of you may be familiar with the Westside Shooting Range, a facility operated by the National Forest Service in Brandywine, WV. It is located on Rt. 33 west of Harrisonburg, just over the West Virginia border.

The range has recently been vandalized and after speaking with the gentleman in charge of its care, I got the impression that the Forest Service is at its wits end.

This is one of the very few places left within a short drive of the people of Harrisonburg to shoot, and is free of charge.

It is appropriate for us, the citizens who use the location, to lend a small hand to show the Forest Service that it is valuable to us.

The individual I contacted mentioned that the most help that could be provided would be in the form of a cleanup crew to come out with 30 gallon trashbags and bag up the garbage left by individuals. The VCDL is experienced at marshalling its exceptionally active membership.

I would like to know if someone would lead the charge to help this effort. I am willing to help with grunt work but having just had a baby, can't commit the energy required to get it off the ground.

I can be contacted at 202 684 6138.

Thanks!

Eric Korn

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

When I lived in NJ, there was a county park that was built on donated land. The man donating it was an avid bowhunter and he donated it on the condition that it was built as an archery target range. It had about 20+ walking trails, hay bales, and it was lots of great fun. I was a target shooter, not a hunter but I used that range several times a week to bone up on my accuracy with my bow. The cost? free.

Years later, the county claimed eminent domain and shrunk the range down to a few stationary targets in one empty field. They built a highway through the rest of the area.

It would be awesome if someone willed some land to the state with the sole purpose of having an outdoor pistol shooting range.

Tomahawk

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
When I lived in NJ, there was a county park that was built on donated land. The man donating it was an avid bowhunter and he donated it on the condition that it was built as an archery target range. It had about 20+ walking trails, hay bales, and it was lots of great fun. I was a target shooter, not a hunter but I used that range several times a week to bone up on my accuracy with my bow. The cost? free.

Years later, the county claimed eminent domain and shrunk the range down to a few stationary targets in one empty field. They built a highway through the rest of the area.

It would be awesome if someone willed some land to the state with the sole purpose of having an outdoor pistol shooting range.

As long as VA doesn't do what NJ did with the land and dishonor the owner's wishes!

Bill C.

imported post

I Just happened to stumble into this site & can provide some info relative to the Shooting Range Vandalism Question.

The range is the National Forest Service Range in Brandywine West VA. It does, in fact, include a pistol range, although primative in nature. Someone apparently shot-up the facilities pretty badly. I called the phone number posted at the site entrance last week, (& unfortunately have misplaced the number), but it was the National Forest Service in Harrisonburg, VA. They told me about the Vandalism & the fact that they have no budget for repairs.

Bill C.

imported post

Just a Quick P.S. It was the West Side Shooting Range, Located outside Brandywine, West VA., & the Phone Number is the Dry River Ranger District 540-828-2591