Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Finally had somebody say something...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg/Richmond, VA, ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    Well it had to happen eventually I suppose. Last night was the first time I've had someone even mention my gun out in public (I've been OCing since November, so it hasn't really been all that long). However, this guy had a lot to say.

    At about 1:30 am last night, or this morning- whichever way you want to put it, I went to pick up some food I had ordered because I was fairly hungry. I went with one of my roommates up to Alpha Pizzaria, a local takeout place up here in Blacksburg. Well, upon arriving, I got out of my roommate's truck while he stayed to wait. I noticed one guy, probably a delivery driver, standing just inside the open doorway. As I was about to enter the door he turned around to face the back of the place and yelled "Pick up!" I then walked up to the counter and that's when the 'delivery driver' noticed my gun...

    First thing he did is make the :what:face and then go "whoa!!" and jump back about 5 or 6 feet. The guy is obviously scared and then starts yelling to the back "Just give this guy his food man!!! He don't need to pay!" and I couldn't help but laugh a little. I immediately started trying to reassure him by saying I had already paid online and that there was no reason to be scared or anything. The main chef was laughing at this point and then handed me my food. Before I could leave though, the scared guy decided to stark asking a million questions like,
    him: "Are you a cop?"
    me: "No."
    him: "Are you a gangster?"
    me: "Haha... no"
    him: "So what are you?"
    me: "I'm just a normal guy. I wear this for my protection, and it's legal in Virginia to carry a firearm openly."

    He then went on to say something along the lines of thinking people with guns are either undercover cops or "feds" etc and that it was just unexpected to see a "normal guy like [me] with the glasses and all" carrying a gun. He also said I could scare people to which I replied that scaring people was not my intention and that I simply carry for my own defense. He finally told me to have a good night and gave me a fist pound and told me to come back (still obviously scared quite a bit as he jumped back again immediately after the fist pound) and I told him to have a good night as well and that I'd definitely be back as I love the food. Overall it was a decent experience and at the very least somewhat educational to this poor man. My roommates and I definitely got a good laugh out of it though .

  2. #2
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Oh the sheeple:P

  3. #3
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    I've had numerous constructive experiences such as this, a few rather neutral, only one minor negative while in Harrisonburg and only one very minor confrontation with the po-po in Alexandria. Overall I haven't had much but rather positive confrontations with other people. I get the "eyes" a bit but rarely does anyone say anything. I try my best to hear if anyone whispers anything and I never hear whispers either. Maybe its because i'm still relatively young and thin (minus a baby beer belly). I'm always asked if I'm a cop....as I suppose a lot of people on here are....I don't like it because as long as people think I'm a cop I'm not really doing much to help the entire desensitization process. Oh well.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Neplusultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Christiansburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,228

    Post imported post

    Long, long ago a friend of mine bought a 9mm for self-protection. I've shot guns for years and years and had no fear of them. Or so I thought. This gun was different, he bought it to kill someone, so to speak. I saw it on his coffee table one day and picked it up to take a look at it. It was really weird, like an electric shock went through me with a real uncomfortable feeling. I had to set it back down immediately, I was so shocked.

    I recognized this on reflection as an emotional and intellectual immaturity, I had no firm grip on the potential necessity and rightfulness of taking another's life, so it scared me. As should be expected in that state of mind. Emotional, moral and intellectual uncertainty about taking someone's life is one of the roots of mental trauma a soldier experiences IMO.

    I'm sure that's where this guy was coming from, he was confronted with a reality he was not prepared to deal with which shocked him in his mind because you, someone who *is* sure, suddenly appeared and put the issue front and center....

    I'm also pretty sure this is at least part of the reason the antis are against guns. They cannot, will not, allow themselves to face and deal with the emotions surrounding killing someone. Thus their emotional and irrational reactions.

  5. #5
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Neplusultra wrote:
    Long, long ago a friend of mine bought a 9mm for self-protection. I've shot guns for years and years and had no fear of them. Or so I thought. This gun was different, he bought it to kill someone, so to speak. I saw it on his coffee table one day and picked it up to take a look at it. It was really weird, like an electric shock went through me with a real uncomfortable feeling. I had to set it back down immediately, I was so shocked.

    I recognized this on reflection as an emotional and intellectual immaturity, I had no firm grip on the potential necessity and rightfulness of taking another's life, so it scared me. As should be expected in that state of mind. Emotional, moral and intellectual uncertainty about taking someone's life is one of the roots of mental trauma a soldier experiences IMO.

    I'm sure that's where this guy was coming from, he was confronted with a reality he was not prepared to deal with which shocked him in his mind because you, someone who *is* sure, suddenly appeared and put the issue front and center....

    I'm also pretty sure this is at least part of the reason the antis are against guns. They cannot, will not, allow themselves to face and deal with the emotions surrounding killing someone. Thus their emotional and irrational reactions.
    that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Blacksburg/Richmond, VA, ,
    Posts
    27

    Post imported post

    agreed on the increasing our numbers... I've not seen one single other person openly carrying a gun around here other than one of my roommates (so that doesn't really count). I know they're out there though, lol.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers.
    I've seen one other person OCing (outside of our gatherings, of course) - at Golden Corral in Manassas, though I understand from reading here and other forums that there are a number of OCers in my area. There just aren't enough of us, I guess.

    I've only had one (very small) conversation regarding carrying. No one is ever going to mistake me for a cop, or "Fed", or whatever.


  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran joeamt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers.
    I've seen one other person OCing (outside of our gatherings, of course) - at Golden Corral in Manassas, though I understand from reading here and other forums that there are a number of OCers in my area. There just aren't enough of us, I guess.

    I've only had one (very small) conversation regarding carrying. No one is ever going to mistake me for a cop, or "Fed", or whatever.
    I opencarry at the Golden Corrall in Manassas every time i go.. might have been me... Fat guy with 2 kids and the wifey?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    joeamt wrote:
    Riana wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers.
    I've seen one other person OCing (outside of our gatherings, of course) - at Golden Corral in Manassas, though I understand from reading here and other forums that there are a number of OCers in my area. There just aren't enough of us, I guess.

    I've only had one (very small) conversation regarding carrying. No one is ever going to mistake me for a cop, or "Fed", or whatever.
    I opencarry at the Golden Corrall in Manassas every time i go.. might have been me... Fat guy with 2 kids and the wifey?
    Could have been you - but it was a big fella and his buddy - no kids and wifey. Back in early March.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    You shouldn't laugh at @#$%s like that. Just give them a snotty look for a minute, and then go on about your business.

    I have high hopes that swine flu will thin them out some

    Damn dirty word filter, can't even call an ******* an ******* anymore!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    i've only seen ONE person openly carrying
    I have seen six:
    Shopper'sin Herndon -2005
    Harris Teeter in Reston-2006
    Sunoco in Chantily (non GS wknd)-2007
    Guy on RT 28 in Manassas/ Manassas Park area (not GS employee)-2007
    Guy in Tysons Corner he was CC'ing poorly.-2007
    I meet Southernboy @ McDonalds in Haymarket (random chance incident)-2008

    I lived within a few blocks of two maybe three other OC'ers and never ran into them, whenI lived in Centreville.


    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran Dutch Uncle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,715

    Post imported post

    RoisinDubh wrote:
    I've not seen one single other person openly carrying a gun around here.......
    I've only seen one, at Lowe's, but please keep in mind that most people don't even notice that YOU are carrying a firearm, so likewise unless we are trying to spot someone, we have probably missed a number of OC'ers because we weren't really looking.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers.
    Are you sure? I don't recall ever carrying at a Wendy's. Not that it *couldn't* happen; I just don't often go there.

    I think you saw Harper1227. if I recall the story correctly.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!

  16. #16
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!
    I have tried to cut out fast food and actually have had a lot more success since I have fun OCing at walmart now

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!
    Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year.

  18. #18
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!
    Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year.
    Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!
    Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year.
    Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods.
    Man I wish I weighed 150. I told myself I was going to start running tonight, since it's my first full day home from school, but I don't think I'm going to get around to that today lol.

  20. #20
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    I get home tomorrow. I'll be doing lots of yard work this week for my dad to make a little cash. That should give me a nice tan and some more muscle:P

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    970

    Post imported post

    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I get home tomorrow. I'll be doing lots of yard work this week for my dad to make a little cash. That should give me a nice tan and some more muscle:P
    Haha, I wish my parents would pay me to do yard work. My neighbor gives me $40 to cut his grass though, and that only takes about 90 mintues! :celebrate:

    Sorry for threadjacking, RoisinDubh.

  22. #22
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I get home tomorrow. I'll be doing lots of yard work this week for my dad to make a little cash. That should give me a nice tan and some more muscle:P
    Haha, I wish my parents would pay me to do yard work. My neighbor gives me $40 to cut his grass though, and that only takes about 90 mintues! :celebrate:

    Sorry for threadjacking, RoisinDubh.
    Since I have no job right now he's trying to help me out.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
    Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches!
    Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year.
    Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods.
    Man I wish I weighed 150. I told myself I was going to start running tonight, since it's my first full day home from school, but I don't think I'm going to get around to that today lol.
    I'm working at dropping 40 myself.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods.
    Man I wish I weighed 150. I told myself I was going to start running tonight, since it's my first full day home from school, but I don't think I'm going to get around to that today lol.
    I'm working at dropping 40 myself.
    Hehe. I try to lose weight. It keeps finding me again.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Riana wrote:
    nova wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods.
    Man I wish I weighed 150. I told myself I was going to start running tonight, since it's my first full day home from school, but I don't think I'm going to get around to that today lol.
    I'm working at dropping 40 myself.
    Hehe. I try to lose weight. It keeps finding me again.
    Haha I should add I haven't had much luck since I try to make it to every OC dinner I can

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •