• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally had somebody say something...

RoisinDubh

imported post

Well it had to happen eventually I suppose. Last night was the first time I've had someone even mention my gun out in public (I've been OCing since November, so it hasn't really been all that long). However, this guy had a lot to say.

At about 1:30 am last night, or this morning- whichever way you want to put it, I went to pick up some food I had ordered because I was fairly hungry. I went with one of my roommates up to Alpha Pizzaria, a local takeout place up here in Blacksburg. Well, upon arriving, I got out of my roommate's truck while he stayed to wait. I noticed one guy, probably a delivery driver, standing just inside the open doorway. As I was about to enter the door he turned around to face the back of the place and yelled "Pick up!" I then walked up to the counter and that's when the 'delivery driver' noticed my gun...

First thing he did is make the :what:face and then go "whoa!!" and jump back about 5 or 6 feet. The guy is obviously scared and then starts yelling to the back "Just give this guy his food man!!! He don't need to pay!" and I couldn't help but laugh a little. I immediately started trying to reassure him by saying I had already paid online and that there was no reason to be scared or anything. The main chef was laughing at this point and then handed me my food. Before I could leave though, the scared guy decided to stark asking a million questions like,
him: "Are you a cop?"
me: "No."
him: "Are you a gangster?"
me: "Haha... no"
him: "So what are you?"
me: "I'm just a normal guy. I wear this for my protection, and it's legal in Virginia to carry a firearm openly."

He then went on to say something along the lines of thinking people with guns are either undercover cops or "feds" etc and that it was just unexpected to see a "normal guy like [me] with the glasses and all" carrying a gun. He also said I could scare people to which I replied that scaring people was not my intention and that I simply carry for my own defense. He finally told me to have a good night and gave me a fist pound and told me to come back (still obviously scared quite a bit as he jumped back again immediately after the fist pound) and I told him to have a good night as well and that I'd definitely be back as I love the food. Overall it was a decent experience and at the very least somewhat educational to this poor man. My roommates and I definitely got a good laugh out of it though :lol:.

richarcm

imported post

I've had numerous constructive experiences such as this, a few rather neutral, only one minor negative while in Harrisonburg and only one very minor confrontation with the po-po in Alexandria. Overall I haven't had much but rather positive confrontations with other people. I get the "eyes" a bit but rarely does anyone say anything. I try my best to hear if anyone whispers anything and I never hear whispers either. Maybe its because i'm still relatively young and thin (minus a baby beer belly). I'm always asked if I'm a cop....as I suppose a lot of people on here are....I don't like it because as long as people think I'm a cop I'm not really doing much to help the entire desensitization process. Oh well. :)

Neplusultra

imported post

Long, long ago a friend of mine bought a 9mm for self-protection. I've shot guns for years and years and had no fear of them. Or so I thought. This gun was different, he bought it to kill someone, so to speak. I saw it on his coffee table one day and picked it up to take a look at it. It was really weird, like an electric shock went through me with a real uncomfortable feeling. I had to set it back down immediately, I was so shocked.

I recognized this on reflection as an emotional and intellectual immaturity, I had no firm grip on the potential necessity and rightfulness of taking another's life, so it scared me. As should be expected in that state of mind. Emotional, moral and intellectual uncertainty about taking someone's life is one of the roots of mental trauma a soldier experiences IMO.

I'm sure that's where this guy was coming from, he was confronted with a reality he was not prepared to deal with which shocked him in his mind because you, someone who *is* sure, suddenly appeared and put the issue front and center....

I'm also pretty sure this is at least part of the reason the antis are against guns. They cannot, will not, allow themselves to face and deal with the emotions surrounding killing someone. Thus their emotional and irrational reactions.

richarcm

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Long, long ago a friend of mine bought a 9mm for self-protection. I've shot guns for years and years and had no fear of them. Or so I thought. This gun was different, he bought it to kill someone, so to speak. I saw it on his coffee table one day and picked it up to take a look at it. It was really weird, like an electric shock went through me with a real uncomfortable feeling. I had to set it back down immediately, I was so shocked.

I recognized this on reflection as an emotional and intellectual immaturity, I had no firm grip on the potential necessity and rightfulness of taking another's life, so it scared me. As should be expected in that state of mind. Emotional, moral and intellectual uncertainty about taking someone's life is one of the roots of mental trauma a soldier experiences IMO.

I'm sure that's where this guy was coming from, he was confronted with a reality he was not prepared to deal with which shocked him in his mind because you, someone who *is* sure, suddenly appeared and put the issue front and center....

I'm also pretty sure this is at least part of the reason the antis are against guns. They cannot, will not, allow themselves to face and deal with the emotions surrounding killing someone. Thus their emotional and irrational reactions.
that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers. :)

RoisinDubh

imported post

agreed on the increasing our numbers... I've not seen one single other person openly carrying a gun around here other than one of my roommates (so that doesn't really count). I know they're out there though, lol.

Riana

imported post

richarcm wrote:
that and you just don't see people carrying guns everyday. so far i've only seen ONE person openly carrying a gun and that was Tess last summer in the Wendy's parking lot. This, of course is not including gun or political related gatherings....just means we need to keep increasing our numbers. :)
I've seen one other person OCing (outside of our gatherings, of course) - at Golden Corral in Manassas, though I understand from reading here and other forums that there are a number of OCers in my area. There just aren't enough of us, I guess.

I've only had one (very small) conversation regarding carrying. No one is ever going to mistake me for a cop, or "Fed", or whatever. :lol:

joeamt

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Riana wrote:
richarcm wrote:
I've seen one other person OCing (outside of our gatherings, of course) - at Golden Corral in Manassas, though I understand from reading here and other forums that there are a number of OCers in my area. There just aren't enough of us, I guess.

I've only had one (very small) conversation regarding carrying. No one is ever going to mistake me for a cop, or "Fed", or whatever. :lol:
I opencarry at the Golden Corrall in Manassas every time i go.. might have been me... Fat guy with 2 kids and the wifey?

Riana

imported post

joeamt wrote:
Riana wrote:
richarcm wrote:

I opencarry at the Golden Corrall in Manassas every time i go.. might have been me... Fat guy with 2 kids and the wifey?
Could have been you - but it was a big fella and his buddy - no kids and wifey. Back in early March.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You shouldn't laugh at @#$%s like that. Just give them a snotty look for a minute, and then go on about your business.

I have high hopes that swine flu will thin them out some;)

Damn dirty word filter, can't even call an asshole an asshole anymore!

Marco

imported post

i've only seen ONE person openly carrying
I have seen six:
Shopper'sin Herndon -2005
Harris Teeter in Reston-2006
Sunoco in Chantily (non GS wknd)-2007
Guy on RT 28 in Manassas/ Manassas Park area (not GS employee)-2007
Guy in Tysons Corner he was CC'ing poorly.-2007
I meet Southernboy @ McDonalds in Haymarket (random chance incident)-2008

I lived within a few blocks of two maybe three other OC'ers and never ran into them, whenI lived in Centreville.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RoisinDubh wrote:
I've not seen one single other person openly carrying a gun around here.......
I've only seen one, at Lowe's, but please keep in mind that most people don't even notice that YOU are carrying a firearm, so likewise unless we are trying to spot someone, we have probably missed a number of OC'ers because we weren't really looking.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

richarcm wrote:
Are you sure? I don't recall ever carrying at a Wendy's. Not that it *couldn't* happen; I just don't often go there.

I think you saw Harper1227. if I recall the story correctly.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches! :)

Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year. :cry:
Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods. :)

hunter45

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
nova wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
mmm....Wendy's. Now I'm hungry.
Mmmm I love their spicy chicken sandwiches! :)

Ah they are the best!! I should avoid eating at Wendy's for a while. I need to lose all the weight I gained at school this year. :cry:
Yea that happened to me last year. I'm back down to 150 now after I cut sweets and the majority of fast foods. :)

Man I wish I weighed 150. I told myself I was going to start running tonight, since it's my first full day home from school, but I don't think I'm going to get around to that today lol.