Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: encounter at the airport

Post imported post

I take my Niece to the airport to drop her off. While giving our hugs and good-byes on the drive, standing next to my car, I see an officer come out of the terminal and she stops in her tracks. Now I'm thinking oh great here we go.

I help my wife back in the car and as soon as I close the door-----

Officer: Why are you open carrying?

Me: Because it's warm and I didn't feel like wearing a jacket.

Officer: it is against the law now.

Me: Since when? I thought it was only controlled in the secure areas.

Officer: No they changed it a short while ago and this area was deemed under federal control as well.

Me: I thought it was only the areas inside the security zone.

Officer: Just put a jacket on. It could cause alarm.

Me: (the puzzled wtf look,:what: no answer)

Officer: Are you with THAT group?

Me: (a simple nod)

Officer: oh

I then get in my car and drive off and she gets in her car, which I stopped right in front of , and was followed until I was back out on hwy 99.

Ok guys I think she was blowing smoke up my azz because if it was true I think I would have been arrested because they would love to give us a black eye over open carry. What say you?

We are now THAT group

Post imported post

mtlhdtodd wrote:
    We are now THAT group
    Yeah, that's great.

Post imported post

So do we add that to the Tshirts now?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

probably should. That cop sounds like a bag o' crap. Find out who she is and file a report.

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    So do we add that to the Tshirts now?
    i'll by two shirts with that name

Post imported post

So because it is supposedly under federal control it is only illegal to OC?? What an idiot.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

OK so OpenCarry.Org on the pocket, and "Yes, I'm with THAT group" on the back?:quirky

And a nice aggressive image of an unnecessarily large gun
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Post imported post

Vandal wrote:
    probably should. That cop sounds like a bag o' crap. Find out who she is and file a report.
    Dopey me I didn't think to get her name or badge no. The whole thing seemed like so much bovine scatology. I was half way home when I realized I screwed up by not getting her name and such. A learning experience for me I guess.

Now where's that thread on digital recorders?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Yah the officer was blowing smoke. If it were illegal you would have been arrested. Notice how she tried to bully you around until she figured out you were part of OCDO? If nothing else that speaks for how well rights and law are understood around here.

Post imported post

I have a question somewhat related to airport carry, I'm going back to AK to visit my folks and I'm going to have to lock my gun in its case for transit. I was thinking that if someone wanted to steal my weapon that I should make it unusable, so my plan is to remove the barrel and keep that in my carryon.

I was wondering if this is a bad Idea and that they would confiscate a barrel if they new what it was?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Eh, if they steal your gun and you remove the barrel, it's not hard to get another. They will have the most valuable parts already... If you are really paranoid, strip it down, and just fly with the frame. Mail the rest of the parts ahead of you... Or just pack it normal like everyone else does.

Post imported post

If I remember correctly you are not allowed to have any portion of a gun in the sterile area or passenger compartment. I could be way of but that is how I remember it.

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Just pull the firing pin out, and keep it in your pocket. Not enough metal to set off the alarms!

Back on topic... it's too bad that cop was pushing her own agenda while on the job. I wish more of them were more professional about their work, considering the way they constantly interact with the public. Too bad you didn't get her info, but hindsight's 20-20 and all that :?

Glad nothing came of it though, and it sounds like you handled it well. Keep it up!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    my plan is to remove the barrel and keep that in my carryon.
    Quite possibly a violation of federal law that could wind you up in major trouble.

Post imported post

Nivek wrote:
    Too bad you didn't get her info, but hindsight's 20-20 and all that :?
    The OP could always file an FOIA request for which female officers where on duty at that location and time.
    DISCLAIMER: This post may contain libertarian ideas and language that are consistent with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, including a belief in liberty, rule of law, and natural rights. It may also contain opinions critical of government and the tyrannies being committed by such. If you are an authoritarian, statist, or other freedom hater, side effects of reading this post may include high blood pressure, loose stool, severe genital itching, and diarrhea of the mouth.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Yah the officer was blowing smoke. If it were illegal you would have been arrested. Notice how she tried to bully you around until she figured out you were part of OCDO?
    And that was one of the arguments I used in my encounter, "If I am doing something illegal, then charge me." Sure, you need to KNOW the law if you're willing to go there, but that puts the ball squarely in their court to either put up or shut up.
    +1.....I don't like playing games. "I'm not getting into an argument with you, officer. Either charge me with something or I'll be on my way. Now which is it going to be?"

Post imported post

mtlhdtodd wrote:

Me: (a simple nod)

I am not as informed, nor as articulate as most all of you that frequent this forum, however if I were asked, "Are you with THAT group?", I would have probably replied, "You mean the group oflaw abiding citizens thathas never committed a crime and is ready, willing, and able to protect themselves, others, and you if necessary, from those that would harm and kill?"... "Silly me, I am"....

A bit smart ass, which is never a good idea... But christ allmighty, I get tired of always being on the defensiveaboutthis stuff...

Post imported post

I think I might have just asked, "What group is that?"
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Is there a definitive answer to the nonsecured area? Boise Airport has a sign as you enter the ticket purchasingarea that is not in the secured area thatstates no guns or weapons.
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Post imported post

WA State law specifically says it is legal to go almost anywhere in the airport with a firearm as long as you don't pass the security gates.

I am pretty sure federal law says nothing about anything prior to passing through the security gates.

So that makes it specifically legal and preemption ensures it will stay legal no matter what rules the airport makes.

However, I am too lazy to look up the specific statutes right now, sorry.

Post imported post

"However, I am too lazy to look up the specific statutes right now, sorry."

Candor is always appreciated. Well, almost always.

MD

Post imported post

carracer wrote:
    Is there a definitive answer to the nonsecured area?Â* Boise Airport has a sign as you enter the ticket purchasingÂ*area that is not in the secured area thatÂ*states no guns or weapons.
    The secured areas of the airports are anything past a TSA Security checkpoint. The non-secured area is anything prior to a TSA checkpoint.

Also since we are talking about Wa. laws you will need to look at Id. laws and see if that is an allowed restriction.

Post imported post

Machoduck wrote:
    "However, I am too lazy to look up the specific statutes right now, sorry."

Candor is always appreciated. Well, almost always.

MD
    Actually I was just trying to get the post completed so I could go to lunch, but I figured saying I was lazy would get a more interesting response... Which it did.

I am however TIRED of looking up RCW's for people all the time when most of them are discussed in the FAQ, and those that aren't are easily available via this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RCW&l=1

Post imported post

mtlhdtodd wrote:
    "Yes, I'm an American."

Seriously though, next time don't engage them in conversation. Whatever comes out of his or her mouth; ask, “Am I being detained?” If you are not, then go about your business. If they don’t answer, ask again.

Post imported post

mtlhdtodd wrote:

Me: That's right! that group of American's from the home of the free and the land of the brave, now (a simple nod)

Officer: oh
    I’m proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast