• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

encounter at the airport

mtlhdtodd

imported post

I take my Niece to the airport to drop her off. While giving our hugs and good-byes on the drive, standing next to my car, I see an officer come out of the terminal and she stops in her tracks. Now I'm thinking oh great here we go.

I help my wife back in the car and as soon as I close the door-----

Officer: Why are you open carrying?

Me: Because it's warm and I didn't feel like wearing a jacket.

Officer: it is against the law now.

Me: Since when? I thought it was only controlled in the secure areas.

Officer: No they changed it a short while ago and this area was deemed under federal control as well.

Me: I thought it was only the areas inside the security zone.

Officer: Just put a jacket on. It could cause alarm.

Me: (the puzzled wtf look,:what: no answer)

Officer: Are you with THAT group?

Me: (a simple nod)

Officer: oh

I then get in my car and drive off and she gets in her car, which I stopped right in front of ;), and was followed until I was back out on hwy 99.

Ok guys I think she was blowing smoke up my azz because if it was true I think I would have been arrested because they would love to give us a black eye over open carry. What say you?

We are now THAT group :lol::lol::lol:

mtlhdtodd

imported post

Vandal wrote:
probably should. That cop sounds like a bag o' crap. Find out who she is and file a report.
Dopey me I didn't think to get her name or badge no. The whole thing seemed like so much bovine scatology. I was half way home when I realized I screwed up by not getting her name and such. A learning experience for me I guess.

Now where's that thread on digital recorders? :banghead:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Yah the officer was blowing smoke. If it were illegal you would have been arrested. Notice how she tried to bully you around until she figured out you were part of OCDO? If nothing else that speaks for how well rights and law are understood around here.

FunkTrooper

imported post

I have a question somewhat related to airport carry, I'm going back to AK to visit my folks and I'm going to have to lock my gun in its case for transit. I was thinking that if someone wanted to steal my weapon that I should make it unusable, so my plan is to remove the barrel and keep that in my carryon.

I was wondering if this is a bad Idea and that they would confiscate a barrel if they new what it was?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Eh, if they steal your gun and you remove the barrel, it's not hard to get another. They will have the most valuable parts already... If you are really paranoid, strip it down, and just fly with the frame. Mail the rest of the parts ahead of you... Or just pack it normal like everyone else does.

joeroket

imported post

If I remember correctly you are not allowed to have any portion of a gun in the sterile area or passenger compartment. I could be way of but that is how I remember it.

Nivek

imported post

Just pull the firing pin out, and keep it in your pocket. Not enough metal to set off the alarms! :dude:

Back on topic... it's too bad that cop was pushing her own agenda while on the job. I wish more of them were more professional about their work, considering the way they constantly interact with the public. Too bad you didn't get her info, but hindsight's 20-20 and all that :?

Glad nothing came of it though, and it sounds like you handled it well. Keep it up!

compmanio365

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Yah the officer was blowing smoke. If it were illegal you would have been arrested. Notice how she tried to bully you around until she figured out you were part of OCDO?
And that was one of the arguments I used in my encounter, "If I am doing something illegal, then charge me." Sure, you need to KNOW the law if you're willing to go there, but that puts the ball squarely in their court to either put up or shut up.
+1.....I don't like playing games. "I'm not getting into an argument with you, officer. Either charge me with something or I'll be on my way. Now which is it going to be?"

Idlechater

imported post

mtlhdtodd wrote:
Officer: Are you with THAT group?

Me: (a simple nod)

I am not as informed, nor as articulate as most all of you that frequent this forum, however if I were asked, "Are you with THAT group?", I would have probably replied, "You mean the group oflaw abiding citizens thathas never committed a crime and is ready, willing, and able to protect themselves, others, and you if necessary, from those that would harm and kill?"... "Silly me, I am"....

A bit smart ass, which is never a good idea... But christ allmighty, I get tired of always being on the defensiveaboutthis stuff...

carracer

imported post

Is there a definitive answer to the nonsecured area? Boise Airport has a sign as you enter the ticket purchasingarea that is not in the secured area thatstates no guns or weapons.

arentol

imported post

WA State law specifically says it is legal to go almost anywhere in the airport with a firearm as long as you don't pass the security gates.

I am pretty sure federal law says nothing about anything prior to passing through the security gates.

So that makes it specifically legal and preemption ensures it will stay legal no matter what rules the airport makes.

However, I am too lazy to look up the specific statutes right now, sorry.