Thread: Retiring Justice

Post imported post

This will impact everyone of us so even though OC is not mentioned, it IS ON TOPIC

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...M_Exclude=Juno

State Researcher

Post imported post

Won't really. From what I understand he was considered in the lib camp anyway, and obama will put another lib there. The balance stays the same...

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Won't really.* From what I understand he was considered in the lib camp anyway, and obama will put another lib there.* The balance stays the same...
    Exactly the way I see it.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

He was against DC V Heller so why would it matter if there's another constitution hating judge. I really don't know how they can assume what the framers thought when there are so many writings from them. The framers would want me to have a machine gun because they wouldn't want the government to have such an advantage over the people.

Post imported post

All replies very true, however, one that is more liberal to the point of being radical is the concern I have.

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar

Post imported post

The only issue I see is that Obama will appoint a much younger and probably even more liberal judge to replace him. This means that we will be stuck with whoever the replacement is for many years to come.

Post imported post

joeroket wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Won't really. From what I understand he was considered in the lib camp anyway, and obama will put another lib there. The balance stays the same...
    Exactly the way I see it.
    yup.

Post imported post

On the positive side, with Specter switching to the Dems, it becomes much harder for the Dems to move a judge out of committee. You have to have one minority member to pass a judge to the whole Senate for confirmation. Specter was generally that vote. Jeff Sessions now becomes the ranking minority member on the committee and he is much tougher than Specter. We might be able to block any radical judges and settle for a liberal in Souter's mold.

Post imported post

Souter is a scumbag anyways. Not because of his unconstitutional views on gun rights but because it is a long held practice that if you choose to retire you do so when the party that nominated you is in power. Souter was nominated by the first G Bush and Souter could have just as easily retired last year but he was banking on a democratic win for the big F U to the conservatives.

I mean, Sandra Day O'Conner wasn't a conservative darling but at least she returned the favor to the party that nominated her in the 80's.

Post imported post

This whole problem we're having today stems from our two party system, we need more variety if we are to keep liberty.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

A major problem is not the personal beliefs of the judges. Judges used at least pretend to rule constitutionally. Now there is no pretense on either side and they rule for their parties and both sideshave made unconstitutional decisions.

I believe we need judges who will rule what is constitutional and disregaurd their personal feelings on the matter.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    This whole problem we're having today stems from our two party system, we need more variety if we are to keep liberty.
    The only reason we have a two party system is because people are too lazy and/or stupid to do the research, the last election for president had no less than 12 parties available to vote from, but there were only a few on the ballot, you can write in whomever you wish, BTW.
    If you actually believe there is truly only two parties, you can also boycott the vote.

When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?