• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what happens to confiscated guns?

AGust82

imported post

I just read on another board that a county in Georgia is considering selling off some of it's supply of confiscated guns to raise some cash. This makes me wonder if CT has some orphan guns that need good homes.

minus

imported post

I do believe there is a provision for administrative services to auction them off. As far as I know however they are destroyed if they can not be used by the state police or the local police department.

AGust82

imported post

romma wrote:
IMO Non-Violent Felons should get their rights restored aftera period of time.
I agree 100%. I have a co-worker who had a felony drug arrest for cocaine residue on paraphanalia over25 years ago, when he was 17. He is not a dangerous criminal, he was just a stupid kid.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

AGust82 wrote:
romma wrote:
I agree 100%. I have a co-worker who had a felony drug arrest for cocaine residue on paraphanalia over25 years ago, when he was 17. He is not a dangerous criminal, he was just a stupid kid.

All non-violent felons? And how long of a period of time?

AGust82

imported post

HankT wrote:
AGust82 wrote:
romma wrote:

All non-violent felons? And how long of a period of time?
Yes, all non-violent felons. I consider sex offenders to be violent felons, just for the record. I think ten years after incarceration and probation ends would be a fair amount of time. If you can keep you nose clean for that long I'd say your rehabilitated.

bennettprescott

Opt-Out Members
imported post

JoJo's in Southington has a manhole cover out front that is stamped "made from your confiscated guns". I assume that's what happens in CT.

Former felons should have all of their rights restored. If they have been released back into society, they are citizens. If they are too dangerous to own a gun, what the hell are they doing living next door to me?

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Any one know what New Haven is doing with all of its old service pistols. I saw on the news that they are upgrading from 9MM to .40 cal.
Good question. I was going to email them, but they don't list any addresses on their website.

romma

imported post

Code:
Welcome to fuggin' Connecticut. :quirky

While I am for the most part a lifelong Connecticut resident, It is hard to not feel like a guest in this State the way the government agitates it's very own citizens...

A guest that has overstayed his welcome that is...

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

romma wrote:
Code:
Welcome to fuggin' Connecticut. :quirky

While I am for the most part a lifelong Connecticut resident, It is hard to not feel like a guest in this State the way the government agitates it's very own citizens...

A guest that has overstayed his welcome that is...
Tell me about it. The ONLY reason I'm here is for a good job. You know you're phucked when the Governor LIES TO YOUR FACE saying she would repeal the annual car tax when they raised the state income tax. Never did and I never heard anyone publicly call her out on it.

wrightme

imported post

gutshot wrote:
AGust82 wrote:
I just read on another board that a county in Georgia is considering selling off some of it's supply of confiscated guns to raise some cash. This makes me wonder if CT has some orphan guns that need good homes.
Here in Ky. confiscated guns were destroyed until a few years ago. For years they were melted down or dumped into the Ohio River. No effort was made to determine if they were stolen or to return them to the rightful owners. Then the General Assembly stepped in and passed legislation requiring a good faith effort to see that stolen property was returned to owners. All other guns were to be sold and the money was to be used to purchase body armor for the local police dept. Great idea, right.
The Mayors in Jefferson (Louisville) and Fayette (Lexington) Counties ordered their Police Chiefs to not comply. At the next yearly session of the General Assembly the law was changed and the State Police were ordered to pick up all of these guns state wide and handle the sale and attempted return to rightful owners. This set up a direct confrontation between the two local PDs and the State Police. The locals backed down and now everything works smoothly. Some tax money is freed up for other things, the cops get their vests and some people even get their property back. This type of grass roots work and cooperation between the gun owners and the legislature is one reasons Ky. is a gold star state.
Sounds reasonable. Would you be able to link me to the BDRs in question for me to plaigarize for Nevada efforts to get our laws upgraded a bit? Thanks.