• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama gets to replace retiring Justice Souter - BOHICA

j2l3

imported post

Bobby, you're telling your young age.... it's Henny, not Henry....

However, your sentiment is dead on, she is feigning humility and saying she wouldn;t take it.... we'll see.

Richard6218

imported post

Just heard a rumor on KONG-TV this AM that our illustrious guvna may be in the running. I don't know which is worse, Gregoire as guvna or Gregoire as Supreme Court Justice. This could be a case of frying pan to the fire. :banghead:

Bobarino

imported post

oops. well, you get the idea :) if Chrissy gets picked, i do believe we would get Lieutenant Governor Brad Owen. guess i'll need to read up on him. don't know much about him but he simply cannot be worse that Gregiore.

Bobby

PT111

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:
Just heard a rumor on KONG-TV this AM that our illustrious guvna may be in the running. I don't know which is worse, Gregoire as guvna or Gregoire as Supreme Court Justice. This could be a case of frying pan to the fire. :banghead:
Just remember that a person can be voted out of the office of Gov. but justices are for life. It is also on a noational level with much more power than as Gov.

amlevin

imported post

Richard6218 wrote:

"Queen Christine" may be mentioned but I'll wager that the real contenders are on the rolls of Federal Court Judges. Also, if you look at Gregoire's legal scorecard, it isn't all that great. As an AG she ran a pretty sloppy ship.

Tomahawk

imported post

Souter voted against Heller. Worst case: we lose an anti and gain an anti. I don't see a reason to panic. Besides, Obama may screw up and accidentally nominate someone who isn't as leftist as he's like (this was the mistake made when Souter was nominated by Bush, wasn't it?).

Richard6218

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Souter voted against Heller. Worst case: we lose an anti and gain an anti. I don't see a reason to panic. Besides, Obama may screw up and accidentally nominate someone who isn't as leftist as he's like (this was the mistake made when Souter was nominated by Bush, wasn't it?).
Exactly -- there have been a number of cases of justices who don't turn out as advertised. As to Crissy, the nomination is more political than legal, so it wouldn't matter to Obama if she did run a sloppy ship. After all, he's out to promote his agenda, not to interpret the Constitution. But I agree, mention of Crissy as a candidate was really just some wishful thinking by the local drive-by media.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
+1

Exactly right, Obama can't do worse than what we've got in this case. The odds are in fact way better for us than if Souter wasn't retiring. :)