• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why open carry other than it is your right?????

Charlie

imported post

All right I understand the 2nd amendment. But with all the leagal mumbo jumbo why should I open carry? I can't see shooting someone and if I did I would more than likely be f-ed. If I go into the wrong area " school zone " I am f-ed so why take the risk?

I'm new to this sight and have been hearing a lot about open carry lately, just looking for some answers. I own several guns and am a hunter but have never open carried.

GJD

imported post

Open carry is legal in Wisconsin apart from taverns, school zones, and government buildings. Thats about it. You might get detained by police for OC but it is NOT illegal. There are prohibitions for concealed carry so our only legal option is to carry out in the open.

Also - that is why we open carry - because it is our right!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Charlie wrote:
All right I understand the 2nd amendment. But with all the leagal mumbo jumbo why should I open carry? I can't see shooting someone and if I did I would more than likely be f-ed. If I go into the wrong area " school zone " I am f-ed so why take the risk?

I'm new to this sight and have been hearing a lot about open carry lately, just looking for some answers. I own several guns and am a hunter but have never open carried.

My postion of "Why take the risk" has more to do with being un-armed and not being able to defend myself or my loved ones from a would be attacker. Imagine needing that firearm to save your loved ones life, and not having it with you. How would you feel about that for the rest of your life?

Your statement catches me oddly, What If I were to say that about driving a car, "With all the speed limits and stoplights, and accidents out therewhy should I take the risk?

Nobody is forcing you to carry a firearm, we are just trying to keep that right alive and well so if you choose to do so, you still have that right!

I keep a fire extinguisher on hand in both my truck and the house! although I am not planning on having aa fire!
I keep my insurance policies valid! although I do not plan on getting into a car wreck or havingmy home being damaged by either vandalism or a storm.

And I carry a firearm to defend myself and my family against any people that may be intent on harming us in a robbery attempt or random act of violence, I would rather be prepared than have nothing to defend myslef and others against someone intent on harming us.
To many people carrying a firearm is not even about it being a firearm at this point, it is about exercising their rights! Although I am not required by law to vote, I exercise my right to vote. You are not required by law to exercise your right to free speech, but instead you choose to do it.

Wisconsin isone of 2 states that do not allow concealed carry of a firearm, therefore to legally carry a firearm we must carry it openly in an exposed holster. if we had concealed acarry provisions, I would still carry openly in many circumstances

I carrymy firearm becuase I cannot carry a police officer on my hip!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

because inWisconsin you have to OC as CC is illegal by statute, though possibly defensible "as applied" to lawful conduct , per Hamdan and Vegas.

also, open csary is expressive conduct - a form a pro-gun speech.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

But with all the leagal mumbo jumbo why should I open carry?

Why would you ask yourself why you should open carry? Open carry is not an obligation??? I seriously have to question why someone would come here and ask "why should I open carry".

You have no obligation to exercise your rights. People who believe in their rights don't need to ask "why".

If you came here, I would reason its because you believe in rights. If you do, then you don't have to ask yourself "why you SHOULD open carry" You already know that answer.

I understand why people who WANT to open carry don't. But I DO NOT understand why someone would ask others to justify why they SHOULD.
I own several guns and am a hunter but have never open carried.
How did you go hunting if you didn't open carry????

Charlie

imported post

Is there a map of school zones online? Please correct me if I am wrong but don't the hunting regs say somethng about having a loaded fire arm within so many feet of a road? How does that one work? If we can legally open carry why would the hunting regs put a limit on it? What hapens when your comfronted by the DNR?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Charlie wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong but don't the hunting regs say somethng about having a loaded fire arm within so many feet of a road? How does that one work? If we can legally open carry why would the hunting regs put a limit on it? What hapens when your comfronted by the DNR?
If memory serves, the rules prohibit HUNTING closer than 50 feet from the center line of a road. Nothing about merely having a loaded firearm.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Charlie wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong but don't the hunting regs say somethng about having a loaded fire arm within so many feet of a road? How does that one work? If we can legally open carry why would the hunting regs put a limit on it? What hapens when your comfronted by the DNR?

Here is what I know from talking with various people at the Wisconsin DNR.

Open Carry is REQUIRED by law in order to hunt. You can carry a loaded firearm while walking on the shoulder of the road, or crossing the road, I do it all the time.

They may try to get you for hunting without a license, but my opinion (IANAL) is that as long as the firearm is holstered, they would have a heck of a time prooving it. The wardens here in La Crosse county actually do their job correctly, they observe first and act second.

So, you holster the firearm, and head out of the house. You walk your driveway, or the dog. The entire time, the firearm is holstered. You return to your home. As your were walking the dog, and not hunting, I don't think the wardens here will bother you.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The actual wording says "discharge a firearm" accross a highway or within 50 feet of the centerline of a roadway. 167.31(2)(d). There is nomention of carrying, loaded or unloaded.