Thread: Nebulous O.C. Laws

Post imported post

I live in Columbus, GA and cant get any one to verify if O.C. is actually legal. So called gun experts at a certain well known gun store tell methat O.C. is restricted to LEO's and military personell. I spoke with someone at the probate court in the dept. that issues the permits and they told me that O.C. is legal to a certain extent.They gave the impression that the legality of O.C. is questionable and up to an officer's discretion whitch leaves it open to stereotyping.

It seems that the O.C. laws in Geogia are purposefully vague to keep citizens from fearlessly doing what they have every right under the constitution to do. I am certain that I have the right to O.C. ,but am afraid to do so not because of the law ,but because of LEOs' possible ignorance of the laws. Not bashing LEO's just stating that there are alot LEO's that honestly don't think that citizens are allowed to O.C..

Does anyone have any suggestions that may clear up this dilema.

Post imported post

woven pariah wrote:
    I live in Columbus, GA and cant get any one to verify if O.C. is actually legal. So called gun experts at a certain well known gun store tell methat O.C. is restricted to LEO's and military personell. I spoke with someone at the probate court in the dept. that issues the permits and they told me that O.C. is legal to a certain extent.They gave the impression that the legality of O.C. is questionable and up to an officer's discretion whitch leaves it open to stereotyping.

It seems that the O.C. laws in Geogia are purposefully vague to keep citizens from fearlessly doing what they have every right under the constitution to do. I am certain that I have the right to O.C. ,but am afraid to do so not because of the law ,but because of LEOs' possible ignorance of the laws. Not bashing LEO's just stating that there are alot LEO's that honestly don't think that citizens are allowed to O.C..

First off, there is no law saying Open Carry of Firearms is legal in the great state of Georgia, none at all.
    There's also no law saying that you can eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on Sunday while dressed only in your pajamas.
    Laws are generally prohibatory in nature and there is no law prohibiting open carry of firearms (subject to having a GFL on one's person at the time and certain other limitations.)

Perhaps the best site in Georgia to understand your Rights and responsibilities is Georgia Packing.Org. There are some very knowlegable legal and law enforcement type that can answer any question you might have.

Post imported post

It's legal. It's just that there are so many places off-limits that it's a hassle. Not to mention the ambiguous "public gathering" law.

It's one of the reason I don't open carry. I don't want to have to avoid a place just because the law says I can't carry a firearm there. I have no idea how a police officer is going to interpret the law in regards to a gathering in public. I might be open carrying in my town and there be a parade going on. Wouldn't that be a public gathering? Hell you legally can't even carry to a protest.

If the law were changed I might carry out in the open. Till then concealed is concealed.

Post imported post

I open carry here in LaGrange just above you in Columbus. I'll make it plain and simple. You can legallyopen carrywith a GFLanywhere concealed carry is allowed unless the business has signs posted otherwise.

For a complete list of Georgia carry laws in plain English you can go here...

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

Post imported post

Signs don't hold the weight of law in Georgia since there's no law on the books enforcing signs. If you see a business posted with a sign prohibiting guns then it's up to you to obey the store owner/manager.

Post imported post

I recently moved from Kentucky. It's a world of difference. In Kentucky the only two places off limits to open carry are schools and bars, statutorily speaking. As well you don't need a license to OC. Compare this to Georgia where you have so many places off limits and a license is needed outside of personal property.

Post imported post

woven pariah wrote:

Might this shop have the initials S.O.C. ? If so, they tried to tell me the same thing... Kind of sad, that I knew the law better than they did I'm an out of stater. Other than their ignorance of the law, it seemed like a good shop and range.