• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ross dress for less

sudden valley gunner

imported post

My wife wanted to meet for lunch and she was at Ross's so I went there to meet her and decide where to eat.

A security gaurd was at the front door. I walked in we exchanged freindly greetings and I proceeded to look for my wife and found her shortly after. She didn't find what she was looking for so we meandered toward the exit discussing where to eat.

The security guard came up to me and said "Come with me"

Me "Why"

Him "You are not allowed to have that in here, come with me."

Me "Oh is that a corporate policy, I didn't see a sign posted outside stating that"

Him " It doesn't matter, come with me"

ME "No we are leaving"

I had a feeling he thought he could detain me and call the Police. I tried to find out Ross's corporate policy on the matter (here and google) but to no avail. Anyway we left went to Luis's, a mexican restaurant who have always been freindlywe have been familiar with them for years. Was the first time I Open Carried there though, the owner and his staff never batted an eye . We had our usual freindly conversations and excellent food.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I know I felt like laughing but remained composed. He never mentioned to leave or remove the firearm from the premesis just kept wanting me to follow him to some undisclosed location. I tried to engage him in a friendly conversation but he wasn't having it. Had is Hoplophobic blinders on.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yea I think so.

I still haven't found any corporate policy from them so I will try to call corporate Monday. Maybe I will shoot off an e-mail if I can find some time to draft one up this weekend.

sirpuma

imported post

I have OCed in a couple different Ross stores and have never been approached. I've OCed in the one off I90 in Issaquah and one or two others. I don't think they have a corporate policy.

Manu

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
The security guard came up to me and said "Come with me"

Me "Why"..............
Dude maybe he was trying to take you somewhere and compair yours with his and see whose is bigger ;)............... I think you did the right thing.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Do I really have to say this again? :banghead:

"Are you detaining me?"
Erm. Is that really necessary with a security guard?

I know that they can legally detain you on reasonable suspicion of a crime as can any citizen, but if you are capable of getting up and walking away from them just do so.

I think svg's response was appropriate.

just_a_car

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
Do I really have to say this again? :banghead:

"Are you detaining me?"
Erm. Is that really necessary with a security guard?

I know that they can legally detain you on reasonable suspicion of a crime as can any citizen, but if you are capable of getting up and walking away from them just do so.

I think svg's response was appropriate.
+1.

SVG, let us know what you hear from corporate.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I will keep everybody updated. It's good to hear others haven't had problems at the other Ross's.

I agree with Mainsail to respond am I being detained when approached by LEO's .This was a security gaurd though on private property I felt leaving and clarifying Ross's position on firearms more prudent than engaging the security gaurd.

heresolong

imported post

You could also respond by pointing out that you are busy shopping and don't have time to go with him. Until such time as he asks you to leave you are under no legal obligation to do anything.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

heresolong wrote:
You could also respond by pointing out that you are busy shopping and don't have time to go with him. Until such time as he asks you to leave you are under no legal obligation to do anything.
I might have done that but he stated I wasnt allowed to have "that in here". And we were making our way to the door at that time. Were only a few steps from it when he stopped us. Wich I find amusing, we were leaving and he wanted me to follow him to talk about me not being in there store with a gun. That's what made me suspicious he had something else in mind, like trying to detain me and call the police.

FMCDH

imported post

"Come with me!"

Indeed, a line right out of the Wackenhut play book. :?

You did exactly the right thing.

Sad thing is, most of the time the line works on people. :quirky

Keep this in mind:

He can call the police.
He can ask you to leave.
He can use physical force only to the same extent as any other citizen, which is to say to protect himself or others from immanent harm.
Private or public, a security guard in Washington has no more arrest or detainment authority than any other citizen, period.

If he would have laid a hand on you, I guarantee he would have lost his job and would have opened himself for an assault charge and the store for liability.

That said, the guy is just doing the job he has been told to do with the limited amount of training he has been given.

Again, you did the right thing and that made your day and his a lot easier overall.