• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ross dress for less

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Aberdeen? I've heard of that place. There are like what, four people there? :p I don't think anyone in Grays Harbor County can AFFORD to tell a customer to leave, gun, no gun, or strange hippie crawled out of the woods.

okkid

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Aberdeen? I've heard of that place. There are like what, four people there? :p I don't think anyone in Grays Harbor County can AFFORD to tell a customer to leave, gun, no gun, or strange hippie crawled out of the woods.
I think you got a good point there with the AFFORD. And there is five now that I have a grandbaby ;)

FMCDH

imported post

Ahh! Now I understand. They are one of those towns lagging 20-30 years behind the rest of the country.

Just check the local radio stations to tell you what year they are in. :cool:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Ahh! Now I understand. They are once of those towns lagging 20-30 years behind the rest of the country.

They still use smoke signals there...

FMCDH

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
Ahh! Now I understand. They are once of those towns lagging 20-30 years behind the rest of the country.

Ahh, puffin to the oldies. ;)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

FMCDH wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
FMCDH wrote:

Ahh, puffin to the oldies. ;)
No, that would be The Evergreen State College. Or rather they would be Puffin' on something....

bugly

imported post

Soooo, just put 'em on the list of do not patronize and let corporate know why it happened. Doesn't really matter if it is their policy or not, you were approached by an "employee" and were told it was policy. Let that employee explain why they have been put on a "blacklist" of sorts, and let that employee figure out where corporate is now going to make up the lost revenue for his actions. (They could save a lot of that lost revenue by letting him go... after all, if your customers are openly armed, you probably don't need security guards, do you?).
If corporate gets hold of this board and lets us know they allow OC, then its a win for everybody, right?
If they don't allow it, they lose customers and some added security. They lose...
Otherwise, it's really now up to them as to whether they want to ride out this economic redepressession with fewer customers.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
That's not how the DNP list works.
Morbo says DNP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!
morbo1.jpg

bugly

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I know how it works, but it can also be a reminder to companies that don't allow guns in their place of business that there are honest good people avoiding spending their money because of a ridiculous policy that panders to the knee-jerk liberals.

kenshin

imported post

bugly wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
I know how it works, but it can also be a reminder to companies that don't allow guns in their place of business that there are honest good people avoiding spending their money because of a ridiculous policy that panders to the knee-jerk liberals.
Agreed, the DNP list should be used to show the companies with anti-gun policies that they will lose money if they discriminate against citizens exercising their rights, as well as rewarding those who do support them.

However, there is no evidence so far that Ross has an anti-gun policy. So far it's just an a$$hat employee with a grudge. He would not/could not (because there probably isn't one) provide a copy of the "policy" that he was trying to enforce.

bugly

imported post

Exactly my point, this way, the corporate office is aware that their security personnel are claiming something false if it is indeed not their policy, if it is policy, then they will know there are many people who disagree with their choice and will shop elsewhere.

Sorry for the confusion in my original post on this.

just_a_car

imported post

kenshin wrote:
bugly wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
Agreed, the DNP list should be used to show the companies with anti-gun policies that they will lose money if they discriminate against citizens exercising their rights, as well as rewarding those who do support them.

However, there is no evidence so far that Ross has an anti-gun policy. So far it's just an a$$hat employee with a grudge. He would not/could not (because there probably isn't one) provide a copy of the "policy" that he was trying to enforce.
Disagree.

The reason I created the DNP List was a resource for the board members; not to try to bully companies, who have every right to make their own policies, into changing their policy. The DNP List is something we can all go to and say to ourselves "Do I want to support the policy of this company with my hard-earned money?" and make a decision of where to shop based on the list and the information linked to on the thread.

As many fly-by posters have pointed out, OC'ers are not a large subset of the population, so our dollars won't likely be missed that much. BUT, since companies want to keep customers happy (at least, companies I want to shop at do) they will try to please as many customers as possible, whether that means respect state law or bar carry of firearms. I respect their property rights as I hope they respect my right to self-defense.

If you feel the need to use the list as a guide for activism, that's your own initiative, as that's not what I intended it for.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
My wife wanted to meet for lunch and she was at Ross's so I went there to meet her and decide where to eat.

A security gaurd was at the front door. I walked in we exchanged freindly greetings and I proceeded to look for my wife and found her shortly after. She didn't find what she was looking for so we meandered toward the exit discussing where to eat.

The security guard came up to me and said "Come with me"

Me "Why"

Him "You are not allowed to have that in here, come with me."

Me "Oh is that a corporate policy, I didn't see a sign posted outside stating that"

Him " It doesn't matter, come with me"

ME "No we are leaving"

I had a feeling he thought he could detain me and call the Police. I tried to find out Ross's corporate policy on the matter (here and google) but to no avail. Anyway we left went to Luis's, a mexican restaurant who have always been freindlywe have been familiar with them for years. Was the first time I Open Carried there though, the owner and his staff never batted an eye . We had our usual freindly conversations and excellent food.
good work - finallya gun owner who declines private security suggestions and simply leaves the premises of unfriendly establishments. well done.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Thanks for the kudos Mike.

Update a little. I called the manager of the store yesterday. And outlined what happened, explained that I respect the rights of private property owners but wanted to know what their corporate policy was.That I didn't want to change my shopping habits due to unreasonable fear of guns of employees or individuals. I also mentioned several stores I shop at that are gun freindly including banks.

She was very professional and freindly and told me she would look that information up or get an answer from someone who would know. She also stated that if it was corporate policy to follow state law she will inform her security and staff that it is allowed in her store. So crossing my fingers and hoping fro the best.

joeroket

imported post

Thanks for the kudos Mike.

Update a little. I called the manager of the store yesterday. And outlined what happened, explained that I respect the rights of private property owners but wanted to know what their corporate policy was. That I didn't want to change my shopping habits due to unreasonable fear of guns of employees or individuals. I also mentioned several stores I  shop at that are gun freindly including banks.

She was very professional and freindly and told me she would look that information up or get an answer from someone who would know. She also stated that if it was corporate policy to follow state law she will inform her security and staff that it is allowed in her store. So crossing my fingers and hoping fro the best.

You will find that most stores will follow state law as they have no actual written policy in regards to firearms. The reason the companies have no written policy is because people CC and it has never been an issue that needed a policy.

This is my experience in the different management jobs I have held and in casual conversation with others at different companies.

KBCraig

imported post

She was very professional and freindly and told me she would look that information up or get an answer from someone who would know. She also stated that if it was corporate policy to follow state law she will inform her security and staff that it is allowed in her store.

In other words, she didn't know of a policy, which meant the security guard wasn't following any directions she might have given.

He was making up his own rules.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I agree with the last too posts.

I haven't received an update from the manager has been a real busy week for me. I will try to give her a follow up call. When I get a chance.