• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Wisconsin brethren

1FASTC4

imported post

This June I'll be making my yearly sojurn to your Northwoods. My family has a house on White Sand Lake in Lac du Flambeau and I spend a couple of weeks up there every year. I plan on OC'ing in the area in support of my repressed Wisconsin OC'ers.

Your vehicle laws regarding handguns are some of the most rediculous I've read... they are based on no logic I can fathom. I'll be a scofflaw.

We live under the same Constitution, but consider if the followng had happened in your beautiful State:

On the way to a buddy's house last Friday I partook in what my fellow vette drivers like to call "spirited driving". I wasin the process of actually slowing down when a motorcycle cop tagged me for 82 in a 65. I had my loaded, one in the chamber, holstered, XD .45 on the console in plain sight and easy reach. The motorcylce copped asked what grips I had on it then returned to his bike with my license and registration.

He returned to my car, asked me where I was heading. I realize I didn't have to tell him but there was no harm so I told him the truth: to my buddy's house for some small stakes poker. He wished me luck in the game and handed me a warning ticket.

I can't help but to think what would have happened were this in Wisconsin. Snipers from helicopters? Swat teams?

Geez... hard to believe we live under the same Constitution. Hang in there

:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

You would have gotten a myriad of charges, from that incident. and most likely arrested too.

When you get up this way, give me a holler, We'll take a walk downtown in Minocqua while O-C'ing

BTW, What year corvette? I have a 1975 granny-vette I am restoring and modding. I call it a granny-vette becuase the factory HP rating was a whopping 175 HP and the weight is near 2-tons. I have ridden motorcycles with more HP than that, and my sled Dyno'd at 157 HP!

1FASTC4

imported post

Sounds great! Monacle's for some pizza?I'm buyin for any who wish to join us!

My vette had the same problem: Anemic HP.It was a real dog.

It's an 86. I put a 383 in it, changed tranny and rear, added NOS, headers, lots of goodies.

Can you post pics of your 75? I enjoy work in progress pics! for years there was a vette that parked ata (now closed) Motorcycle shop on 47 just West of 51. I think the shop was Chuck's Cycle. The color was cool, It was a sort of "burnt orange" What a small world it would be if that was your vette. I think the year is about right.

Here's a couple of pics of mine:

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When about in June are you heading up?Me and my little brother have a yearly wilderness camping trip at allequash lake near boulder junction around June 20th the northern fishing opener! :D

Ben

1FASTC4

imported post

Heheheh they are big fatties! They are 315 35 17's. You are right about them being Goodyears too.. lol

opusd2

imported post

I'll be in Wittenberg OC'ing as always. Northern WI is more accepting of it, in Door County where I spend a lot of time at my place there I always OC there was well. I have a "New" neighbor (of about 8 or 9 years) living just down and across the road from me who is always shooting like I am, even at night. It's always been kinda cool, I never got hassled - until the AG memo was handed out and now I have a cruiser slowing down whenever going past my place and then eventually speeding up when past me. Coincidence?

I've even laid down my piece and approached the road waving, so I could ask if there was anything I could help them and all I got in return was them gaining speed and leaving the area. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my neighbor and didn't get any vehicle info so figuring out who it was will be difficult at best. So, have fun in WI and keep to the sticks if you want to be around people with similar comforts with firearms (and freedoms).

By the way, I still have "fans" slowing down past my place all hours of the night and day. And I still carry openly...

1FASTC4

imported post

opusd2 wrote:
I LOVE that Vette! Personally one of my favorite Corvette body styles.

Thanks! There's a good chance it will be a Wisconsin car by the end of next summer.

Nutczack, I'll be in town from June 20th to July 6th. Will you be around?

1911forme

imported post

1FASTC4 said:

I had my loaded, one in the chamber, holstered, XD .45 on the console in plain sight and easy reach. The motorcylce copped asked what grips I had on it then returned to his bike with my license and registration.

Curious , the XD45 has a molded polymer frame , how do put you replacement grips on it? Sweet Vette though!

Nutczak

imported post

Maybe I can answer for C-4,

There a plenty of personalization things that can be done to the XD-XDm frames, A guy can have a custom stipling job, Grip-tape, slip-on sleeves, or even have it coated with dura-coat or another epoxy paint.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Could be that the cop was just unfammilliar with that model gun. I've met plenty of cops who couldn't tell an XD from a Glock and couldn't shoot worth a damn.

Cool car btw. My dad has a '75 vette he just put sidepipes on. Will post pics if I get a chance to snap some.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I beleive the XD-M has a backstrap you can change and maybe part of the grip too. Unfortunately you can't find them anywhere around here. I bought an XD 45 a little while after they came out and sold it two weeks later because the trigger sucked donkey. I did all I could to the trigger but it still stunk. I've heard the XD-M's have way better triggers but haven't gotten my hands on one to check it out.

Nutczak

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
I beleive the XD-M has a backstrap you can change and maybe part of the grip too. I've heard the XD-M's have way better triggers but haven't gotten my hands on one to check it out.

Yes, the XD-m comes with 3 different sized backstraps right in the box, along with a paddle-holster, dual mag holster, 2 magazines, a mag-loader and of course a cheap cable-lock per current laws.

To change out the backstraps, you need to punch out a small roll-pin, some guys deleted the roll-pin and use a Velcro attachment instead. I do not know why they would be changing backstraps so often to need that though.

Trigger feel!
I have not shot mine yet due to the very limited supplies of ammunition, primers, brass and even sizing dies for the .40are very hard to find right now.
But the trigger does feel very creepy with lots of overtravel and not too crisp. Powder river precision, springer, and several other placeshave trigger kits, guide rods, springs and caliber-swap kits available at real decent prices. So customization for this pistol is relatively simple and cheap procedure.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Trigger feel!
I have not shot mine yet due to the very limited supplies of ammunition, primers, brass and even sizing dies for the .40are very hard to find right now.
But the trigger does feel very creepy with lots of overtravel and not too crisp. Powder river precision, springer, and several other placeshave trigger kits, guide rods, springs and caliber-swap kits available at real decent prices. So customization for this pistol is relatively simple and cheap procedure.

I may have some .40 RCBS carbide dies sitting around.:dude:Can't remember if I sold them or not. I've got a crapload of reloading junk, some of it I've never used.

At the time I sold mine there was still very little in aftermarket goodies. I was able to make my trigger super smooth but with the mile of pretravel and half a mile of overtravel I still hated it.

Just after I sold it though; a Springfield Armory fully loaded 1911 fell into my lap for $425 so I don't mind that I lost a couple bucks on the XD. It was kind of like an expensive good luck charm.:D

1911forme

imported post

Ewww , awesome choice ""BM". I have a few Springfield products , one of which is my old favorite. I picked up a used pre- 80's , "Natl Match" 1911 for a song , and turned it into bowling pin match pistol. Very lite trigger (2.5 maybe) , Heinie dual port comp. Custom trigger , hammer , the works. This pistol whistles Dixie , if the wind is right!

Do you know why the 45acp was invented..............................

............................................cuz know one should have to shoot twice!

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
Just after I sold it though; a Springfield Armory fully loaded 1911 fell into my lap for $425 so I don't mind that I lost a couple bucks on the XD. It was kind of like an expensive good luck charm.:D

That's a hell of a deal BM! Good gun too.

1FASTC4

imported post

Thanks for the replies and nice words.... yes yes post vette pics!

My XD has stock grips, just some custom fit grip tape is all that was on it.

In the cop's defense, the color of the gun gripis sort of close the that of the interior of the car and he might not have gotten a good look at it. He treated me very courteously and had me dead to rights for speeding, I was very appreciative of just getting a warning ticket.