Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: It's been a long road...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    I'm in my 30s now, but in my 20s my parents were not very supportive of me owning a gun, carrying a gun, or exercising my gun rights.

    My dad has owned a hunting rifle, and a shotgun, but to my knowledge has never owned a handgun. He has hunted before, but never regularly and not in 15 years.

    My mom, has never liked guns, hated me even owning a gun, and has said things to me before like she wouldn't care if they got rid of all guns so nobody could have one.

    Over the last 10 years, little by little, I have shared with them the pro gun rights knowledge, the hypothetical scenarios, and realities of what the laws say. We used to have some mildly heated debates that turned into less heated debates, to them ignoring me and tuning me out when I communicate "gun talk". In the last couple years they have actually started asking me sincere questions about gun ownership, cc, and now oc, but still, IMO, non-supporters.

    Last month, while having dinner with my folks and daughter I was talking to them about my latest knowledge and insight and I just came out an told them, you two should take the class to get your CPLs. It will be fun. I told my mom how more and more women everyday are getting their CPLs. Anyway, she said no thank you.

    Well today, I was picking up my daughter from them after work. We meet in a central location as we live 20 miles apart. Both my parents were in the car and as they're ready to pull away my mom asks, "How much did you pay to take your CCW class?" :what: I answered. She says her friends husband teaches a class for $100. Then my dad asks me, "How much was your pistol and where did you buy it from?" :what: I told them. I asked them, "Are you guys thinking about getting your CPLs?" And they said they were. :what::celebrate

    They asked me some questions about how to buy a gun, and the classes, and if you shoot in the class, and how you shoot in class if you don't own a gun yet, so and so told them they should get a revolver first, etc etc. I filled them in, told them to stop by their police station on the way home to get a packet, and that I would email them further info. We drove off and when I got into my truck I started grinning ear to ear.

    I never thought in a million years that they would change their minds about guns. Especially my mother the BHL, lol. It will be interesting to see if I can get them to oc when they are good to go. Maybe you'll see us all as a family excersizing our rights at MOC events in the future. Rock on!



  2. #2
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Brings a tear to my eye. Great job!


    Remember people, baby steps, they work.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    Thanks. It was a nice surprise after a long week. Here I thought I was just picking up my daughter as I had to work late and they were watching her for me and they sprang that on me. It was a good day.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WARCHILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Corunna, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,772

    Post imported post

    I agree with Doug...snif...snif..... a true Halmark moment. As always when people wake up and see reality. Kudo's to your parents and you for supporting them. I hope to meet you all at an event soon.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southwest, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    291

    Post imported post

    WARCHILD wrote:
    I agree with Doug...snif...snif..... a true Halmark moment. As always when people wake up and see reality. Kudo's to your parents and you for supporting them. I hope to meet you all at an event soon.
    We need to celebrate all gun owner's in America. Since it's my birthday, I hereby declare May 15th as "HAPPY GUN DAY"!!!!

    Carry on.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post


    The next wave of the current buying trend. Now, were going to see people who were against gun ownership start buying and then panicking because they can't get what they want.

    There is going to be more of this thanks to President Obama.


    Congrats on your parents transformation.

    jmlefler wrote:
    WARCHILD wrote:
    I agree with Doug...snif...snif..... a true Halmark moment. As always when people wake up and see reality. Kudo's to your parents and you for supporting them. I hope to meet you all at an event soon.
    We need to celebrate all gun owner's in America. Since it's my birthday, I hereby declare May 15th as "HAPPY GUN DAY"!!!!

    Carry on.
    Happy Birthday!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Secretary MOC, Inc. Frankenmuth, , USA
    Posts
    894

    Post imported post

    ghostrider wrote:

    The next wave of the current buying trend. Now, were going to see people who were against gun ownership start buying and then panicking because they can't get what they want.

    There is going to be more of this thanks to President Obama.


    Congrats on your parents transformation.
    Yup, I've had a BUNCH of people asking me for advice on their first handgun. Mostly people who never thought they wanted or needed one, but now they want to get one "before they can't"

    And yes, congrats. That's a very good story.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    Ethan_Frome wrote:
    ...I never thought in a million years that they would change their minds about guns. Especially my mother the BHL, lol...
    What's a BHL?

  9. #9
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    BHL = Barack Hussain Lover

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    87

    Post imported post

    dougwg wrote:
    BHL = Barack Hussain Lover
    I think it is traditionally:

    Bleeding Heart Liberal



  11. #11
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Thats soooo yesterday, try to keep up. :P

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    wolverine1856 wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    BHL = Barack Hussain Lover
    I think it is traditionally:

    Bleeding Heart Liberal

    Yeah, I was using it a Bleeding Heart Liberal. As bleeding hearted as she is, she still couldn't bring herself to vote for Obama. She wrote in Hillary instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •