• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's been a long road...

Ruckus

imported post

I'm in my 30s now, but in my 20s my parents were not very supportive of me owning a gun, carrying a gun, or exercising my gun rights.

My dad has owned a hunting rifle, and a shotgun, but to my knowledge has never owned a handgun. He has hunted before, but never regularly and not in 15 years.

My mom, has never liked guns, hated me even owning a gun, and has said things to me before like she wouldn't care if they got rid of all guns so nobody could have one.

Over the last 10 years, little by little, I have shared with them the pro gun rights knowledge, the hypothetical scenarios, and realities of what the laws say. We used to have some mildly heated debates that turned into less heated debates, to them ignoring me and tuning me out when I communicate "gun talk". In the last couple years they have actually started asking me sincere questions about gun ownership, cc, and now oc, but still, IMO, non-supporters.

Last month, while having dinner with my folks and daughter I was talking to them about my latest knowledge and insight and I just came out an told them, you two should take the class to get your CPLs. It will be fun. I told my mom how more and more women everyday are getting their CPLs. Anyway, she said no thank you.

Well today, I was picking up my daughter from them after work. We meet in a central location as we live 20 miles apart. Both my parents were in the car and as they're ready to pull away my mom asks, "How much did you pay to take your CCW class?" :what: I answered. She says her friends husband teaches a class for $100. Then my dad asks me, "How much was your pistol and where did you buy it from?" :what: I told them. I asked them, "Are you guys thinking about getting your CPLs?" And they said they were. :what::celebrate

They asked me some questions about how to buy a gun, and the classes, and if you shoot in the class, and how you shoot in class if you don't own a gun yet, so and so told them they should get a revolver first, etc etc. I filled them in, told them to stop by their police station on the way home to get a packet, and that I would email them further info. We drove off and when I got into my truck I started grinning ear to ear.

I never thought in a million years that they would change their minds about guns. Especially my mother the BHL, lol. It will be interesting to see if I can get them to oc when they are good to go. Maybe you'll see us all as a family excersizing our rights at MOC events in the future. :D Rock on!

Ruckus

imported post

Thanks. It was a nice surprise after a long week. Here I thought I was just picking up my daughter as I had to work late and they were watching her for me and they sprang that on me. It was a good day. :)

WARCHILD

imported post

I agree with Doug...snif...snif..... a true Halmark moment. As always when people wake up and see reality. Kudo's to your parents and you for supporting them. I hope to meet you all at an event soon.

jmlefler

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I agree with Doug...snif...snif..... a true Halmark moment. As always when people wake up and see reality. Kudo's to your parents and you for supporting them. I hope to meet you all at an event soon.
We need to celebrate all gun owner's in America. Since it's my birthday, I hereby declare May 15th as "HAPPY GUN DAY"!!!!

Carry on.

ghostrider

imported post

The next wave of the current buying trend. Now, were going to see people who were against gun ownership start buying and then panicking because they can't get what they want.

There is going to be more of this thanks to President Obama.

Congrats on your parents transformation.

jmlefler wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
We need to celebrate all gun owner's in America. Since it's my birthday, I hereby declare May 15th as "HAPPY GUN DAY"!!!!

Carry on.
Happy Birthday!

SQLtables

imported post

ghostrider wrote:

The next wave of the current buying trend. Now, were going to see people who were against gun ownership start buying and then panicking because they can't get what they want.

There is going to be more of this thanks to President Obama.

Congrats on your parents transformation.

Yup, I've had a BUNCH of people asking me for advice on their first handgun. Mostly people who never thought they wanted or needed one, but now they want to get one "before they can't"

And yes, congrats. That's a very good story. :D