• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Status of carry in National Parks?

KBCraig

imported post

Currently waiting on the Park Service. A judge ordered NPS to suspend implementation of the new rule, which means they returned to the old rule (no guns). NPS has supposedly started the environmental impact study that was missing from the implementation of the new rule.

Of course, they did include in the rulemaking process their finding that no environmental impact study was needed, because there was no plausible environmental impact. That's all the law requires (either a study, or an explanation of why one isn't needed), but the judge didn't care.

Tomahawk

imported post

So in other words, we're back to watching the NPS drag its feet and make up reasons why the "study" will take longer until they make up an environmental (BS) reason why carrying is bad?

Wasn't this ruling being appealed?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
So in other words, we're back to watching the NPS drag its feet and make up reasons why the "study" will take longer until they make up an environmental (BS) reason why carrying is bad?

Wasn't this ruling being appealed?

The NRA filed an appeal. No word on any movement since that.

Please prepare to stand by for a possible notification that there may be an event requiring that you be ready to implement a preparatory movement allowing for the standing by for a standby. That is all.

stay safe.

skidmark

XD40coyote

imported post

No natl parks for me. Documented are various attacks by wild animals and by loony people. I think of the murdered women at that one park, and the woman who was murdered by that nutjob on the appalachian trail, despite her martial arts training and having a dog. Nothing beats carrying a handgun, sorry. I wince when I watch some show with some people in the wilds of Canada not having a backup to their rifle and bear spray in case of bear problems. All the people in the expedition should have a .44 mag or bigger on their hips. I bet the hunting guides in AK do.Canada is a whole nother bunch of STUPID

This dumb judge is a woman! Offends me to no end how stupid she is! But she probably has a bodyguard and lives in a gated community and never hikes in parks. Clueless, totally clueless...

david.ross

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Nothing beats carrying a handgun, sorry.
You can't carry one of your skinning knives? >:3 Many good firearms instructors are leery around knives, mainly because of people who know how to spill a person's guts quickly.

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It's go from one liberal judge to another. This probably will not be overturned.

Obama will do nothing to help it.

The park service will just drag out the "study" for as long as possible, or will not perform it at all citing "insufficent funding" and then stall it indefinitely.

The legislation in Congress to legalize it will almost certainly gain some support but will then be referred to a commitie and will never make it out, and even if by some miracle it does make it out, it probably will never even be brought to a vote.

I doubt that there will be any progress on this until Obama is out of office.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's go from one liberal judge to another. This probably will not be overturned.

The park service will just drag out the "study" for as long as possible, or will not perform it at all citing "insufficent funding" and then stall it indefinitely.

The legislation in Congress to legalize it will almost certainly gain some support but will then be referred to a commitie and will never make it out, and even if by some miracle it does make it out, it probably will never even be brought to a vote.

Now that's the old spirit! Down and out, draggin' our butts just like it's 1993 again! Boy, I miss the old days when gun rights supporters just gave up and waited for republicans to come save us.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

INERTbullet material that is already approved for the enviroment .

If we can not beat them let's use their rules .

Who wants to slit a box of this ammo to save on cost just for OC in these parks ?

:banghead::uhoh:.... or ....;)

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Now that's the old spirit! Down and out, draggin' our butts just like it's 1993 again! Boy, I miss the old days when gun rights supporters just gave up and waited for republicans to come save us.

I didn't say give up. I've called, emailed, and writtenall of my representatives. I'm donating money to pro gun organizations also. I'm just laying out a likelyhood based on the current political climate.

We'll probably see nothing as far as new gun control laws for the moment as far as the Feds go. It's very unlikely that we'll see any progress for our side in the federal legislature.

States are another storey entirely. Winter just ended as far as the states go.... except for California and New York...

You can bet the antigunners will hold onto every little vestige of gun control that is currently on the books.

I remember a quote from a member of the Brady Campaign related to this ruling that invalidated the rule that allowed us to carry. They said something to the effect of how this was not really a final stop for this, but they wereand are going to do everything they can to slow right to carry efforts, even if in the long term we will win.

You can bet that if we even do get another judge to rule in our favor here, the Brady Bunch will appeal till they are blue in the face. This will drag the process out for years. We WILL win, that's not the issue here, but as long as Obama is in office and the Demo's control the Senate, there will probably not be any new pro-gun legislation in the Federal Congress.