• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pickle girl

Phssthpok

imported post

Everyone who has been around the Washington board for any decent length of time is probably aware of the language of RCW 9.41.270 re: 'warranting' alarm.

We have also heard of many instances where someone wearing a badge (or patch as they sometimes are these days) attempting to bulldog (intimidate you into) compliance with their opinion by claiming that your actions are (or could be) illegal because your sidearm 'caused' alarm.

HERE is a perfect demonstration of the difference between 'causing' alarm, and 'warranting' alarm.

Note that while this girl is most decidedly 'alarmed' at the presence of the pickles (assuming it's not all an act), I doubt even the most jack-booted of thugs could twist this into a case of that alarm being 'warranted'.

The plain fact is this: Just because someone IS (or becomes) alarmed it does not automatically extend to that alarm being 'warranted'.

sirpuma

imported post

I believe that she may have had a very traumatic experience with a pickle when she was very young. This is a textbook example of an extreme phobia. My guess is that when a very little girl someone molested her with a pickle or cucumber. It's very sad.

I have known people with phobias because of traumatic childhood experiences. I myself have had to deal with phobia because of traumatic experiences. Some of the comments on that video were cruel. :cuss:

And yes, there is a major difference between causing and warranting alarm. Officers need to learn the difference.

phoneguy

imported post

That poor women. We my laugh but it's very real to her! So your saying if a person got shot with a gun or faced a hold up in a bank 7 11 ETC. And see our gun and reacts in a extreme negative way and call 911 and she is freaking out we can be in trouble?
This is what that cop was telling me last week in Everett at the restaurant.

joeroket

imported post

phone guy wrote:
That poor women. We my laugh but it's very real to her! So your saying if a person got shot with a gun or faced a hold up in a bank 7 11 ETC. And see our gun and reacts in a extreme negative way and call 911 and she is freaking out we can be in trouble?
This is what that cop was telling me last week in Everett at the restaurant.

No you can not get in trouble just because it causes alarm. The circumstances must warrant the alarm for the safety of others in order to violate .270.

Hammer

imported post

I can see it all now:
First, you will need a concealed pickle permit.
Then, folks will begin to carry open vegetables.... it is the right of the people.
Then, there will at times be pickle alarm.
Was it warranted? Or was this pickle-phobia?
Was the owner brandishing their pickle?
Cops will walk around saying "Cover your pickle- you'll cause alarm!"
Businesses will have to post their doors
"Vegetables not welcome"
"Leave your pickle in your car"

It doesn't take long to see how nonsensical it is to bow to phobias.

Manu

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I can see it all now:
First, you will need a concealed pickle permit.
Then, folks will begin to carry open vegetables.... it is the right of the people.
Then, there will at times be pickle alarm.
Was it warranted? Or was this pickle-phobia?
Was the owner brandishing their pickle?
Cops will walk around saying "Cover your pickle- you'll cause alarm!"
Businesses will have to post their doors
"Vegetables not welcome"
"Leave your pickle in your car"

It doesn't take long to see how nonsensical it is to bow to phobias.
Thats really funny.

FMCDH

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
I believe that she may have had a very traumatic experience with a pickle when she was very young. This is a textbook example of an extreme phobia. My guess is that when a very little girl someone molested her with a pickle or cucumber. It's very sad.

I have known people with phobias because of traumatic childhood experiences. I myself have had to deal with phobia because of traumatic experiences. Some of
I agree, and have had both friends and acquaintances with phobias that can almost ALL be tracked to one or more childhood traumas, even though those traumas may not have anything directly to do with the particular item with which they have a phobia or hangup about.

The entire purpose the Brady Campaign is based around such traumatic events. The trauma of which drives Sarah and others to seek a cause, seek a blame point to make themselves feel better. The focus is on the gun instead of spending their focus and energy in healing themselves from the trauma of the events.

People with an unreasonable fear don't seek to understand the fear, they only seek to control it, and THAT is very unhealthy indeed.