• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incorrect info on OCDO

swillden

imported post

Nuttycomputer wrote:
The Federal law says you cannot carry within 1000' of a K-12 school zone unless you are on your own property or have a permit Issued by the state in which the school zone resides.

So if you have a UTAH permit you are clear from both Federal and Utah Law. If you have a permit from another state you are only clear from UTAH's laws.

Though the Federal one has been known to be ignored because the last one was ruled unconstitutional and State/County/City Leos could only hold you for the FBI (If they know the law)

I don't have the Federal law handy but I'm sure someone could point to it.
US Code Title 18 section 922(q)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000922----000-.html

Bushidonate

imported post

Thank you agian. I thought that was the case, but just was not sure. It'd be a shame to getconvicted for something I was not sure of. "Knowlage is power." And I welcome any and all assistance I can get on aquiring new knowlage.

Just a side note I know Wal-mart has been a major pain in the past to some of us. But the Layton store has said nothing to me about open carry. And i do it all the time there. As well as the Layton Denny's. I have coffee there at least once a week with a few friends and they have ever said anything to me about open carry.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

The Federal law says you cannot carry within 1000' of a K-12 school zone unless you are on your own property or have a permit Issued by the state in which the school zone resides.

So if you have a UTAH permit you are clear from both Federal and Utah Law. If you have a permit from another state you are only clear from UTAH's laws.

Though the Federal one has been known to be ignored because the last one was ruled unconstitutional and State/County/City Leos could only hold you for the FBI (If they know the law)

I don't have the Federal law handy but I'm sure someone could point to it.
i thought the Federal law was struck down in a courtcase called Lopez therefore it no longer applies, only the state law, am I correct about these things anyone?

NewZealandAmerican

imported post

Hey Sarge! I saw this pic of you with your holster and wanted to ask what brand and type is it? It looks really cool, does it have good retention? I was looking at a brand called Serpa and they told me that they don't have the forward cant like your holster pictured looks about 20-25 deg cant.Is it a Duty holster where your gun is about 1 to 2 inches away from your body or snug against you like Concealment, see me with my leather belt loop "De-Santis" for my Colt Govt .45 http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/26010.htmlTo me personally the forward cant looks and feels normal instead of straight up and down (vertical).

Nuttycomputer

imported post

NewZealandAmerican wrote:
i thought the Federal law was struck down in a courtcase called Lopez therefore it no longer applies, only the state law, am I correct about these things anyone?

The Gun Free School Zone Act of 1990(GFSZA) was struck down in Lopez (1995)because of Congress trying to regulate under the commerce clause.

Congress Re-Enacted the law in 1996. The new law is essentially the same but says it's only applicable to firearms that have moved inor effect interstate commerce. Which is essentially every firearm.

The new law would probably be ruled unconstitutional as well but it hasn't been tested. Nor have I or others found a single individual that has been prosecuted under this law.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Hey Sarge! I saw this pic of you with your holster and wanted to ask what brand and type is it?
It is the Blackhawk! SERPA Level 2 CQC holster. It can be adjusted to straight up and down, forward canted, or rear canted. It has 5 adjustment positions total.

It has great retention. When worn with a good belt, you could be lifted of the ground by the grip of your pistol. (We've tried it.) ;)

I have been looking at getting a Level 3 Duty SERPA, but I am still unsure if it can be canted forward.

thx997303

imported post

I also use and swear by the Serpa. I want to get the Level 3 Serpa, but they don't make it for the XD for some bizzare reason.

mqondo

imported post

Well since my thread has been hijacked, I might as well chip in. I love my serpa. I want to get a level 3 as well for my side arm, but they don't make it, and most likely never will. I also wanted to be able to have a paddle for the level 3, but I asked them about that too, and it's pretty much never going to happen. So I'm pretty much hosed on that issue. So I guess I'll stick to the level 2, which I quite injoy. I'm wearing it right now.

swillden

imported post

mqondo wrote:
Well since my thread has been hijacked, I might as well chip in. I love my serpa. I want to get a level 3 as well for my side arm, but they don't make it, and most likely never will. I also wanted to be able to have a paddle for the level 3, but I asked them about that too, and it's pretty much never going to happen. So I'm pretty much hosed on that issue. So I guess I'll stick to the level 2, which I quite injoy. I'm wearing it right now.
I'll hijack the hijack :)

I also love my Serpa, but it annoys me that they call it a level 2. It's not, it's a level 1, according to the terminology that everyone but Blackhawk uses. The "level number" is just a count of the active retention devices that must be released before the gun can be drawn normally. In the case of the Serpa "level 2", that number is 1. In the case of the Serpa "level 3", that number is 2.

If you look at, for example a Safariland level 2 holster, there are two separate retention devices (thumb break and rock-to-release locking mechanism). Level 3 adds an index finger release.

The Serpas are great holsters, but the little draw-resistance detent is not a retention level. It does keep the gun from falling out, but doesn't do anything to resist a grab.

So, I really love my Serpa LEVEL 1 holster. I also have a similar Blackhawk holster with no retention features and it's also quite nice, though I don't use it for OC.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Hey all you Guru's is their any Federal Laws about OC'ing on the outside of the federal building on the plazza Area located at 125 South State SLC Utah. It's federal property but not inside the Building past the secure area. Have another Tea Party to attend on July 4th plus I want to file a formal complaint against ICE

NewZealandAmerican

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Hey Sarge! I saw this pic of you with your holster and wanted to ask what brand and type is it?
It is the Blackhawk! SERPA Level 2 CQC holster. It can be adjusted to straight up and down, forward canted, or rear canted. It has 5 adjustment positions total.

It has great retention. When worn with a good belt, you could be lifted of the ground by the grip of your pistol. (We've tried it.) ;)

I have been looking at getting a Level 3 Duty SERPA, but I am still unsure if it can be canted forward.
Thanks Sarge, It really does look like a cool futuristic looking holster and I am seriousy considering getting one for my Colt Govt M1911-A1 .45. I like my current holster that you see on me in the picture but i think I need better retention not to mention it must be easier for you to re-holster with one hand than for me. I don't know if there is a way to replace my snap button with one that requires more force to unsnap mine open

rpyne

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I also use and swear by the Serpa. I want to get the Level 3 Serpa, but they don't make it for the XD for some bizzare reason.
I, too, would love a Serpa. but they don't make one that fits any of my three carry firearms. I have a Ruger P89, a Browning Hi-power and a Deawoo DP-51. All three are excellent firearms but next to impossible to find good holsters that fit.

mqondo

imported post

Here is a picture of my Serpa loaded with my SIG P250. Both of them are great. The locking system is awesome on the Serpa. No button to re-snap. You just slide your gun back in, and you'll hear a click, and the gun is locked in to place.

SigSerpa03.jpg