• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anyone else in Grand Rapids Alpine area? Lets talk outing!

Smoothsounds21

imported post

I am just wondering If I am the only one besides my friend who I got to start OCing, that carries in The Grand Rapids area. I have never seen anyone else. Him and I would like to plan some sort of outing. Since we are both new to this and have only carried a few times this would be good for us and the grand rapids area. I want to bring awareness to GR so that there are more people who will carry and so that I don't have any problems. Let me know what you guys think, and what would be fun to do. The larger group the better. Also I am thinking of starting a facebook group for GR, Let me know if you would be interested in either.

Thanks Steve

EM87

imported post

If you want to learn the basics about open carry (and you'll need to if you plan on doing it), check out the stickied threads on this forum. Also make sure you read the stickied thread Wash, Rinse, and Repeat. Welcome to OCDO!

Good luck finding some OC buddies in GR!

joshuaeberly

imported post

welcome. there's a few of us around the greater GR area. lunch or something sounds fun. pick a date, a few weeks in advance, pick a place(remember, some of our guys don't have CPL, so NO likker license), and post it up.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

Sounds good to me. I am open to suggestions on a place that wouldn't mind several people with guns eating there. Maybe Sandmans BBQ? They have awesome BBQ and I won't go without a gun. Also pretty open on the time. And what about Frisbee golf at Riverside when the water goes down.

mooseracing

imported post

I have thought about it, but since my work doesn't allow them onsite I haven't. Also my boss has informed me that Kent County Sheriff will be nice enough to write up a ticket for disturbing the peace, branishing, or the usually excuse.

That being said I have my CCW class today.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

mooseracing wrote:
I have thought about it, but since my work doesn't allow them onsite I haven't. Also my boss has informed me that Kent County Sheriff will be nice enough to write up a ticket for disturbing the peace, branishing, or the usually excuse.

Welcome to OCDO Mooseracing. Please indicate your location by going to My Account and then to Profile.

ghostrider

imported post

mooseracing wrote:

Well,

Last July we had an OC picnic on a beautiful summer day in John Ball Park. People were right in a high traffic area of the park, OC'ing for over five hours on a busy, summer Saturday. Last winter, we had lunch at Arnie's on Lenard with at least four people openly carrying. Other members have been OC'ing around town, and some have even reported LE encounters. So far, what your boss reports would happen, hasn't happened.

Have you read, "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO" yet?

If not, then you need to, as this topic is coverend in that thread, which is basically an info thread for people who have such questions about OC in Michigan.

Can the police ticket you for OC. Of course they can. They can do whatever they want. They can just as easily ticket you for standing on the sidewalk, but that doesn't mean that it will amount to anything. Just as you have every right to stand on the sidewalk, you also have every right to OC. They can also just as easily give you a ticket for wearing a purple shirt on Sunday, and it also amounts to the same thing.

In turn, you could also turn around and sue them for malicious prosecution, mainly (more importantly) in the form of Section 1983 violations. The difference is, Their ticket would be bogus, while your suite is something they would have great difficulty in defending against (to the point that most governmental units have been smart enough (so far) to settle out of court to avoid accumulating greater legal fees that they would be required to pay when they loose the eventual court case).

Threats and intimidation (which is all such predictions amount to) have long been used by authorities to coerce private citizens into not exercising their rights. It's understandable if you don't want to "be that guy", but if your going to say that they'll give out bogus tickets for something that is lawful, then you should at least provide a cite where people have been prosecuted for such bogus charges.

joshuaeberly

imported post

DougWG got the AR. as far as lunch goes.

we got together at arnies last winter,

I've been to dennys, the first time, the hostess saw my CPL in my wallet, and asked if I was carrying, :banghead:, then, when I looked down and said "uhhhh, yeah", her eyes went:what:, no issues, got a brochure.
last time, our server got a brochure, cuz she wanted to know why anyone would carry an airsoft gun around:lol:. lol.

no issues with perkins, burger king, mcdonalds so far.

pretty much anyplace works, just remember, no alcohol(for the non-cpl guys).

seee, I'm finally using those emoticon thingys.