• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alki Beach Shooting

DrewGunner

imported post

Shooting victim on Alki suffers 'life-threatening injuries'

By Rose Egge
May 2, 2009 updated 7 hours ago

Last night, at approximately 7:30 p.m., a young male, reportedly in his late-teens, was shot on Alki Beach just across the street from Pepperdocks restaurant.

According to Detective Jeff Kappel, the victim was standing near a parked car with his friends when he was shot from behind, multiple times, by suspects across the street.

Kappel said it appears there was no dispute before the shooting, and that the act was very sudden.

Suspects then reportedly fled the scene, running northbound. Friends of the victim loaded him into their car and began driving away from the scene until officers intersected the car at the 1600 block of Harbor Ave. S.W. The victim was transported to Harborview Medical Center by medics with life-threatening injuries.

The victims friends were transported to police headquarters where they are being interviewed by detectives. The vehicle was impounded and taken to the evidence room for processing.

A K-9 track was conducted but was unsuccessful. Homicide and Gang Unit detectives responded to the scene and continue to actively investigate.

The shooter has been described as a black male in his late teens wearing a black shirt.

No one else was injured in the shooting.

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2009/05/01/news/shooting-victim-alki-suffers-life-threatening-injuries

http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=16447

Vandal

imported post

I hate seeing articles like this, seemingly senseless violence. It serves as another reminder to be aware of our surroundings and take your protection with you.

DrewGunner

imported post

UPDATE:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009242441_webalkiarrest20m.html

A Federal Way teenager will be prosecuted as an adult in a shooting earlier this month near Alki Beach that left another teen partially paralyzed.

Seattle police arrested 17-year-old Anthony Verzola last week on suspicion of first-degree assault and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm, according to charging papers filed late last week. Verzola is accused of firing at least five shots outside Pepperdock's Restaurant at 2618 Alki Ave. S.W. on May 1, hitting 19-year-old Yusuf Mohamed in the back.

Verzola was initially booked as a juvenile into the King County Youth Service Center on May 12 but was transferred to the King County Jail on Friday.

Jail officials apparently misread Verzola's bail information, allowing him to be released after he posted $25,000 on Sunday instead of $250,000 bail, Dan Donohoe, a spokesman for King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg, said Wednesday. Verzola was rearrested and booked back into jail Tuesday and is now being held on $250,000 bail, Donohoe said.

Under state law, prosecutors can automatically charge 16- and 17-year-olds as adults if they are suspected of committing serious, violent crimes such as homicide or first-degree assault.

Around 7:30 p.m. on May 1, a man dining at Pepperdock's Restaurant looked out the window and saw a young man walking north on Marine Avenue with a black revolver in his left hand, according to charging documents. The gunman walked toward the water and fired five times across Alki Avenue, striking a man who was standing on the north side of the street.

compmanio365

imported post

When I worked up in Seattle, there was a couple times we went to Pepperdocks for lunch; great food, but Alki beach is just as gang ridden as everywhere else in Seattle. Always was carrying, company policy be damned.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Manu wrote:
That happened right n front of my cousin's restaurant. He was tellig me that he lost lots of business because of this shootout.
We should have an OC meet at your cousins place. Give him a bit of business and let the neighborhood know there are lawful gun carriers around.

PolskiG

imported post

Bookman wrote:
Could someone please tell me why the charge isn't "attempted murder"?
Cause then you would have to charge him with "aggravated attempted murder" which doesn't exist. Plus the legal system is racist so with the victim being named, Yusuf Mohamed, he obviously isn't white and doesn't get special treatmentby having his attacker charged with a more serious crime.

DrewGunner

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Bookman wrote:
Cause then you would have to charge him with "aggravated attempted murder" which doesn't exist. Plus the legal system is racist so with the victim being named, Yusuf Mohamed, he obviously isn't white and doesn't get special treatmentby having his attacker charged with a more serious crime.
Yea, I heard somewhere that "attempted murder" isn't a charge in washington. "first degree assualt" is equivalent, butthe intent only has to be to “inflict great bodily harm.”

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Bookman wrote:
Yea, I heard somewhere that "attempted murder" isn't a charge in washington. "first degree assualt" is equivalent, butthe intent only has to be to “inflict great bodily harm.”
That would explain it. I'm a transplant and hadn't heard that.