• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse Co.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Others on here can give you all the legal stuff, but basically Wisconsin is a ONE (1) party aware state. By that I mean that only one (1) party need be aware the conversation is being recorded. As you would be doing the recording, you would be aware.

Others on here have recommended the Olympus Digital Voice Recorder WS-321M to me, available at Best Buy.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I'll just offer up my personal opinion on this, and its not intended to criticize what you did littleotter. Again, just my opinion and professional experience in dealing with "people" of which, thats what police officers are. They are just "people"

First, when you deal with people, its best to operate from a position of confidence and assuredness. We know what the law is. We know its legal. If in our minds, we are going to sit back and wait for a leo on the street to say "its ok, go ahead" We would NEVER open carry.
I mentioned that open carry was legal state wide, and I was just looking for some clarification on La Crosse's stance.
By asking this question of them, you are NOT operating from a position of confidence and assuredness. By going up to the police and asking "what they will do" you are placing them in the position of power. You are telling the police "I am fearful of you, so before I go about exercizing my rights, I am making sure you aren't going to do bad things to me" That just feeds into the effectiveness of their intimidation tactics. This re-inforces their tactics of fear and intimidation.

We need to send a message to the police that we KNOW what our rights are, and we will exercise them. Going up to them like you did is (if they didn't already know) teaching the police that regardless of the law, people are still afraid to do something the local PD doesn't "approve of"

I open carry in West Allis ALL over the place. Do you think if I call the west allis PD and say "is it ok to open carry" they'll say "yes" HELL NO. I don't need permission from the police. This is a lawful activity. I KNOW IT. They don't need to give me permission.

The police (as demonstrated) have shown NO obligation to know the law, no obligation to be correct in the law. As a matter of attitude, we KNOW cops are not "public servants" but rather "priviliged enforcers" who enjoy special priviliges average citizens do not, who work in an environment that fosters ego's and attitudes that they are the rulers and we are the ruled. Intimidation and fearare their "tools of the trade". We know most cops (almost all) have a "we are the law, you obey us" attitude, AS SUCH they will likely NEVER tell you that you "can" do something.

If you know open carry is legal statewide WHY would you have to ask what La Crosse's stance is? WHY would you indicate to a police officer that it MATTERS what the La Crosse PD's stance is.TheLa Crosse PD doesn't have different laws.By asking this question of them, you are indicating that you are afraid to do what you know is legal until you get the green light from a cop on the street?

If you were not afraid, you would just "do it".

If you have no confidence in the fact that guys like Jesus open carried at will BEFORE the AG memo and NEVER got charged, if you have no confidence that BEFORE the AG memo, Brad Krause was found not guilty. If after all that and THEN the AG memo and ALL the subsequent publicity, you still don't have confidence in that the law will be behind you, don't open carry.

This is not a criticism by any means. Everyone has a different level of fortitude when it comes to standing up for their rights.

Pre AG memo, Jesus was the only one that I know of that was willing to put faith in his constitutional rights and the justice system. BIG balls. There was a lot of risk for him. Not everyone belongs on the front lines of the fight for freedom like Jesus.

Post AG memo, the risk has been WAY reduced from fear of CONVICTION (which WILL NOT HAPPEN) if you are doing nothing else wrong, just OC'ing, to fear of merely being detained.

If you are afraid of merely being detained by police (because we KNOW you can't be charged with a crime, let alone conivcted) then you don't belong on the secondary lines in the battle for freedom. And thats fine. Everyone has their own level of fortitude in these matters.

But we need to stop empowering the police. We need to stop re-inforcing the attitudes that cops already have (that they make the rules). They don't. If you are afraid of the police YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS. NONE.

If you don't know your rights. YOU DON'T HAVE THEM.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090511-open-carry,0,2079684.story

Attorney General Van Hollen in a meeting with police chiefs from across the state:
"In reading the constitution it [open carry] CLEARLY is not [disorderly conduct]"

"it is CLEARLY PERMISSIBLE for law-abiding citizens [to open carry]"

It doesn't matter what a cop with a bad attitude on the street in La Crosse says

Be polite and professional with cops. Do not try and buddy buddy up to them. Do not give them the further misconception that we are asking permission. Just be polite and professional but DO NOT rely on the cops to inform you of what the law is or isn't.

Y2K

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I'll just offer up my personal opinion on this, and its not intended to criticize what you did littleotter. Again, just my opinion and professional experience in dealing with "people" of which, thats what police officers are. They are just "people"

First, when you deal with people, its best to operate from a position of confidence and assuredness. We know what the law is. We know its legal. If in our minds, we are going to sit back and wait for a leo on the street to say "its ok, go ahead" We would NEVER open carry.
I mentioned that open carry was legal state wide, and I was just looking for some clarification on La Crosse's stance.
By asking this question of them, you are NOT operating from a position of confidence and assuredness. By going up to the police and asking "what they will do" you are placing them in the position of power. You are telling the police "I am fearful of you, so before I go about exercizing my rights, I am making sure you aren't going to do bad things to me" That just feeds into the effectiveness of their intimidation tactics. This re-inforces their tactics of fear and intimidation.

We need to send a message to the police that we KNOW what our rights are, and we will exercise them. Going up to them like you did is (if they didn't already know) teaching the police that regardless of the law, people are still afraid to do something the local PD doesn't "approve of"

I open carry in West Allis ALL over the place. Do you think if I call the west allis PD and say "is it ok to open carry" they'll say "yes" HELL NO. I don't need permission from the police. This is a lawful activity. I KNOW IT. They don't need to give me permission.

The police (as demonstrated) have shown NO obligation to know the law, no obligation to be correct in the law. As a matter of attitude, we KNOW cops are not "public servants" but rather "priviliged enforcers" who enjoy special priviliges average citizens do not, who work in an environment that fosters ego's and attitudes that they are the rulers and we are the ruled. Intimidation and fearare their "tools of the trade". We know most cops (almost all) have a "we are the law, you obey us" attitude, AS SUCH they will likely NEVER tell you that you "can" do something.

If you know open carry is legal statewide WHY would you have to ask what La Crosse's stance is? WHY would you indicate to a police officer that it MATTERS what the La Crosse PD's stance is.TheLa Crosse PD doesn't have different laws.By asking this question of them, you are indicating that you are afraid to do what you know is legal until you get the green light from a cop on the street?

If you were not afraid, you would just "do it".

If you have no confidence in the fact that guys like Jesus open carried at will BEFORE the AG memo and NEVER got charged, if you have no confidence that BEFORE the AG memo, Brad Krause was found not guilty. If after all that and THEN the AG memo and ALL the subsequent publicity, you still don't have confidence in that the law will be behind you, don't open carry.

This is not a criticism by any means. Everyone has a different level of fortitude when it comes to standing up for their rights.

Pre AG memo, Jesus was the only one that I know of that was willing to put faith in his constitutional rights and the justice system. BIG balls. There was a lot of risk for him. Not everyone belongs on the front lines of the fight for freedom like Jesus.

Post AG memo, the risk has been WAY reduced from fear of CONVICTION (which WILL NOT HAPPEN) if you are doing nothing else wrong, just OC'ing, to fear of merely being detained.

If you are afraid of merely being detained by police (because we KNOW you can't be charged with a crime, let alone conivcted) then you don't belong on the secondary lines in the battle for freedom. And thats fine. Everyone has their own level of fortitude in these matters.

But we need to stop empowering the police. We need to stop re-inforcing the attitudes that cops already have (that they make the rules). They don't. If you are afraid of the police YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS. NONE.

If you don't know your rights. YOU DON'T HAVE THEM.

hugh jarmis, you're right on this issue. Thank you for your comments.:celebrate

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hugh,
Fully agree. You made a very forceful argument for how to proceed at this point. Now that your AG is reminding the police about the legality of your behavior, folks in WI have really nothing to fear. Early on when we started our Open Carry Dining Out (OCDO) dinners, I made the mistake of asking a restaurant mgr. in VA Beach if they had any problems with OC'ing. Of course they did, and claimed they were posted that way. We went to a nearby restaurant, and saw that the first one WASN'T posted. We had a great time giving our business to the other place and had no problems at all. We never ask permission ahead of time and in almost 3 years of such dinners, we have NEVER been kicked out, scolded, or harrassed in any way. We even had a few patrons and waitstaff come up spontaneously and give us encouragement! The managers in some places know us well by now, and say "Y'all come back now!". In this economy, few managers want to turn away well behaved groups of 15-20 people.

It'll be the same for you all before long.

smithman

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Agreed. The legality of OC is as crystal clear now after the memo as we all knew it to be before. Now LEOs have had their much needed teaching session, which we all agree they seemed to need. Now it's time to OC.

Woodchuck

imported post

I was asked once by a manager to disarm at Walmart because of complaints. But I've OCed the same store again without incident. OCed in Walmart in Viroqua and got some real weird looks, but no problems. Also OCed in Ace and Home Depot.

WIG19

imported post

Apparently the LSE PD take on things is vastly different from the view by the LSE COUNTY Sheriff who responded very cordially & professionally (and correctly) before on the issue and, IIRC, long before Brad Krause's travails.It's in a thread here somewhere.

Still a matter of time before Guv (all lifeforms) attorneys PROPERLY brief their executors charged with enforcing the law. As Hugh nicely points out, you're really not winning this 1:1 biz with the officer on the street.

Stupid-headed legislation in the offing may force this carry issue (regardless of manner of bearing) to the point where, like the Middle East, certain authorities will simply go collectively nuts at the result.

:)

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just OCed for my first time, not counting the picnic. Went to Wal-Mart. Had to use the ATM, pick up a couple things, and then get a sandwich at Subway. Nobody talked to me, and didn't notice any weird looks or anything. But then, I was pretty nervous about it myself and wasn't looking at people too much. Walked by at least a dozen employees who had to have seen me carrying. Especially when I was using the ATM, since its right at the service counter. At Subway the cashier may have seen it. Didn't make a face or anything but seemed a bit nervous. She just gave me my receipt and then didn't look at me or say anything after.

Going to try to start open carrying wherever I can. Should get used to it after a while and not be nervous about it. I just hate attention and didn't want any employees to confront me. Police would probably make me shit my pants! :shock:

Sucks though, cause my girlfriend hates the fact that all of a sudden I seem to care so much about guns and want to carry. She doesn't understand that 1) Open carrying will get people more used to the fact that it's legal and 2) I don't want to carry a gun because I think everywhere I go something is going to happen to me. I want to carry because if I were to ever be in a situation, I want to know I can protect myself, and any victims around me.

She keeps trying to tell me how safe the La Crosse area is and I don't need a gun, and that 1 more person supporting open carry won't help. Going to be hard trying to convince her otherwise!

smithman

imported post

logan wrote:
Sucks though, cause my girlfriend hates the fact that all of a sudden I seem to care so much about guns and want to carry. She doesn't understand that 1) Open carrying will get people more used to the fact that it's legal and 2) I don't want to carry a gun because I think everywhere I go something is going to happen to me. I want to carry because if I were to ever be in a situation, I want to know I can protect myself, and any victims around me.

She keeps trying to tell me how safe the La Crosse area is and I don't need a gun, and that 1 more person supporting open carry won't help. Going to be hard trying to convince her otherwise!
He who keeps fire extinguishers in his house is not fearful of fires. If this was the case, then firefighters who suggest it would be fearmongers.

He who has locks on his doors is not fearful of robbers. If this was the case, stores would be selling pure fear on the store shelves with every deadbolt purchase.

He who has these things is prepared for the unthinkable, it is really that simple. To maintain a constant state of peace by carrying a firearm is more honorable than having to make up a weapon out of your keys or fists.

Ask your girlfriend if she's ever seen some self-defense tips for women. The posters always tell women to find ways to create makeshift weapons to defend themselves like sticking their keys between their fingers to stab an attacker, or to exploit pressure points which are impossibly hard to find during a struggle. These are usually public service things and so they clearly would rather have a woman have a makeshift weapon than actually be carrying a weapon which could be much more effective. If they suggest women make weapons out of keys, then wouldn't you think they would advise women to carry guns to really even things out? Clearly they realize that sometimes women are at risk...and that a cop may not be there to help them...and they may have to defend themselves. Yet they tell women that making a 1 inch blunt stabber out of their keys is better than carrying a gun???

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Logan:

You did fine.

PM, and we'll visit a couple places over the weekend.

Once we exude confidence in ourselves, others will have confidence in us.

comp45acp

imported post

smithman wrote:
logan wrote:

He who keeps fire extinguishers in his house is not fearful of fires.  If this was the case, then firefighters who suggest it would be fearmongers.

He who has locks on his doors is not fearful of robbers.  If this was the case, stores would be selling pure fear on the store shelves with every deadbolt purchase.

He who has these things is prepared for the unthinkable, it is really that simple.  To maintain a constant state of peace by carrying a firearm is more honorable than having to make up a weapon out of your keys or fists.

Ask your girlfriend if she's ever seen some self-defense tips for women.  The posters always tell women to find ways to create makeshift weapons to defend themselves like sticking their keys between their fingers to stab an attacker, or to exploit pressure points which are impossibly hard to find during a struggle.  These are usually public service things and so they clearly would rather have a woman have a makeshift weapon than actually be carrying a weapon which could be much more effective.  If they suggest women make weapons out of keys, then wouldn't you think they would advise women to carry guns to really even things out?  Clearly they realize that sometimes women are at risk...and that a cop may not be there to help them...and they may have to defend themselves.  Yet they tell women that making a 1 inch blunt stabber out of their keys is better than carrying a gun???

Smithman-what a great post! You have captured the essence of the whole issue in one concise and precision thought.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

logan wrote:
She keeps trying to tell me how safe the La Crosse area is and I don't need a gun,
I imagine many of the side streets in La Crosse are "safe" too. Ask if she would advocate taking off those silly, uncomfortable seal belts on the "safe" streets. After all, why be "paranoid" about accidents in the places deemed to be safe. She wouldn't want to look foolish wearing an unneccessary seat belt, right?

People carry insurance and take precautions against very unlikely things because they can be so devastating when they DO happen.

Still, its best not to harangue her or talk about guns much of the time, or you risk wearing her out on the topic. ;)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Have you been able to take your girlfriend out shooting yet? I have had great success in converting people who a nervous around guns by taking them out shooting.

A great number of people simply want to "go with the crowd" and not to stand out in any way that isn't "cool" as defined by the latest fad. Is your girlfriend someone who needs moral support? Most people do. If you could take her to events with a lot of supportive people, like another open carry event, or maybe a gun club, it might help.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great responses guys! Made some very good points to bring up to her if we get on the subject again. I try not to bring it up too often cause I don't wanna make her hate me too much lol. But I just wish she was comfortable with me carrying with her around, because especially if something was to happen to her and I couldn't do anything about it...that would destroy me.

Went to a MN Carry Permit class with Mark Thole yesterday. Going to be applying for a MN Carry Permit soon, and also probably the Florida permit as well. I don't travel out of Wisconsin much, but I am going out to Yellowstone later this summer. Getting these permits would allow me to carry for most if not all of the trip. Only problem...it's with my mom and my girlfriend and my mom is terrified of guns. I need to sign my mom and girlfriend up for a womens firearms defense class. But I doubt they'd ever do that.

I have taken my girlfriend to shoot before, but she ended up just watching. We got a couple who we might go shooting with sometime soon, then hopefully get both of the ladies to shoot and become comfortable with guns.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I recommend that they start with .22 pistols at very close range with excellent hearing protection.

Another approach that I have found useful is to ask a woman to imagine if she would be willing to use a firearm to keep her child from being raped or killed. Women are often more willing to consider the use of force to protect their children than they are to protect themselves.

You could also let her know that you consider it your duty to protect her, and that is a major reason why you value the right to keep and bear arms so much.