• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La Crosse Co.

WIG19

imported post

ccwinstructor wrote:
You could also let her know that you consider it your duty to protect her, and that is a major reason why you value the right to keep and bear arms so much.
+1 Good advice. While this is an OC forum, the ultimate reason for carrying - regardless of the manner of bearing, open or concealed - is to protect life because we love it. Ours, and those we love or who we're determined to protect. Has nothing to do with statistics about aggravated assaults per capita in a given locale and everything to do with taking care of you & her at the moment when the statistics become meaningless.

Keep pluggin' logan.

:)

Woodchuck

imported post

logan wrote:
Went to a MN Carry Permit class with Mark Thole yesterday. Going to be applying for a MN Carry Permit soon, and also probably the Florida permit as well. I don't travel out of Wisconsin much, but I am going out to Yellowstone later this summer. Getting these permits would allow me to carry for most if not all of the trip.
Did your course have a Utah Supplement? The Utah permit is cheaper, good in more states and you don't have to incur the costs and time to retake the class when you go to renew.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
logan wrote:
Went to a MN Carry Permit class with Mark Thole yesterday. Going to be applying for a MN Carry Permit soon, and also probably the Florida permit as well. I don't travel out of Wisconsin much, but I am going out to Yellowstone later this summer. Getting these permits would allow me to carry for most if not all of the trip.
Did your course have a Utah Supplement? The Utah permit is cheaper, good in more states and you don't have to incur the costs and time to retake the class when you go to renew.
No :( I didn't realize how good the Utah was until after the class. I had heard get the Minnesota and Florida permits, so that's what I was going for. Gonna cost me a bit more but it's all good. Mark Thole is a good guy and it was a good class.

skamp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WIG19 wrote:
Has nothing to do with statistics about aggravated assaults per capita in a given locale and everything to do with taking care of you & her at the moment when the statistics become meaningless.

Keep pluggin' logan.

:)
well said.. everyone cares about statistics until you become one.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I believe "logan," "Woodchuck," and I are carrying regularly in La Crosse County (me when I'm there). We should try to updatethis thread regularly, like the "east coast" does to help others "see the light."

Edit to add:

To that end, was in Monroe County today. OC'd at the Hardees at the intersection of Hwy - PP and I-94 in Oakdale. Another NON event.

That makes (Burlington, Onalaska, Greenfield, Wisconsin Rapids, Plover, Stevens Point, Oakdale). Is it any wonder I can't afford ammunition, just look at how much I'm spending in gas $$$ traveling across the state.

Carry On

Woodchuck

imported post

To Date

I have carried without incident all but once in LaCrosse

Ace Hardware 3x

Quillins 1x

Home Depot 1x

Farm & Fleet 1x

Alltel Store by Quillins 1x

South Side Walmart 1x second time I was asked by manager to disarm I've OCed in there 1x since

Tractor Supply in Viroqua 1x

WalMart in Viroqua 5x

Open carried in Quillins and Ace yesterday

Getting more and more comfortable with it and preparing my mind much better for when the next encounter comes.

Had the wife and 6 month old with me at Wally World in Viroqua last weekend, shopping for baby clothes packin'. Anyway a mom and her 2 daughters come 3ft from me, she picked out some clothes, looked at my gun and us, went about her business as usual.

Gotta bring my daughter with more, I wanna use the "I'm her bodyguard" comment so bad.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Okay, I don't know where this thread went for a while. I'd try searching 'la crosse' in this forum and couldn't find it. Just got a PM from Hubert and he had a link to it, and now I see it on the main forum again. Anyways...

Yesterday I carried at the Wal-Mart in Tomah, had to pick up a card for a wedding reception. Also, my friend worked there and he's not a gun owner and didn't believe me I would carry a gun into a store. So put it on the holster and walked in and chatted with him a bit, before going and getting a card.

Today I had to go to Wal-Mart again, ran out of frozen pizzas, plus had to buy some meat to grill for a cookout I went to tonight. I parked next to one of the cart things in the parking lot. As I pulled into my spot, 2 guys with a line of carts were swinging around my car to pick up the carts next to me. I got out, opened my trunk, put my holster on, and then loaded and hostered the gun as they were walking right behind me. Neither of them said anything. I then walked inside and back to the sporting goods. Asked the guy there for some .22 bullets, which they were out of! He may have seen my Glock, if he had, he didn't say anything or seem surprised. Then walked over, got my pizza and steaks, then paid at the self check-out. Was another un-eventful trip to Wal-Mart for me.

So far, OCed about 5 times in the Wal-Mart in Onalaska, and once at the Wal-Mart in Tomah. Have yet to have anyone talk to me, or even notice any real reactions to me carrying. I went to Target and Kohls the other night, but didn't carry because 1) I forgot since I was with my gf and didn't think about it, and 2) I was shopping for clothes so I wouldn't have wanted to have that on me while pulling pants up and down. Otherwise haven't been any place else since I've started to carry.

My gf does work at Valley View Mall, has anyone OCed in there yet? I've looked the last couple times I went there and didn't see a "no gun" sign and saw nothing about them on their website. Next time I go there, even if just to eat I may bring my Glock with. Just don't want the security to mess with me.

bnhcomputing wrote:
I believe "logan," "Woodchuck," and I are carrying regularly in La Crosse County (me when I'm there). We should try to updatethis thread regularly, like the "east coast" does to help others "see the light."
Added this thread to my favorites now so I don't lose it. I will post every time I carry (don't worry I don't get out much), just to keep people updated.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wal-Mart again today! Getting sick of that place :? Just had to get a couple prescriptions. Walked in and was first in line, then a few people behind me. I'm sure some of them saw me but nobody said anything. Then when I was doing the self check-out, the lady had to come over and confirm my signature on my card, she didn't say anything either.

Woodchuck

imported post

logan wrote:
Wal-Mart again today! Getting sick of that place :? Just had to get a couple prescriptions. Walked in and was first in line, then a few people behind me. I'm sure some of them saw me but nobody said anything. Then when I was doing the self check-out, the lady had to come over and confirm my signature on my card, she didn't say anything either.

Glad to hear it, we're not gonna gain acceptance by never doing it.

Which Wally World? Curious if I'm the only one they ever asked to disarm at the South side one

We gonna get to meet thursday eve?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
Glad to hear it, we're not gonna gain acceptance by never doing it.

Which Wally World? Curious if I'm the only one they ever asked to disarm at the South side one

We gonna get to meet thursday eve?
The Onalaska Wal-Mart. I live right across the street from it! lol, so thats why I go there all the time, just easy.

I plan on showing up Thursday, be able to meet all the local guys.

Woodchuck

imported post

Haven't OC all week, never really stopped anywhere. Was going through withdrawals so I went shopping with wife and MIL.

OCed in Shopko south today for a full hour with my wife, daughter and mother-in-law. Had multiple encounters with store employees and a few with what I am almost positive was a manager. Everyone was friendly, helpful and I think everyone of em noticed I was packing.

Poor young gal working in the shoe dept seemed pretty nervous but my wife and MIL kept her busy most of the time. When they weren't she would peek around corners at us or walk by and smile alot more than normal. Was kinda comical really.

edit to add

A buddy of mine said he OCed in Goodwill for about 25 min yesterday without a problem.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
Haven't OC all week, never really stopped anywhere. Was going through withdrawals so I went shopping with wife and MIL.
I haven't been shopping for a while either. I want to...but I just got my new Crossbreed SuperTuck holster for CC and I wanna wear it but can't leave my apartment with it on :(

Woodchuck

imported post

logan wrote:
Woodchuck wrote:
I haven't been shopping for a while either. I want to...but I just got my new Crossbreed SuperTuck holster for CC and I wanna wear it but can't leave my apartment :(

Probably not the best holster to carry here with unless your looking to be a test case of the "what is concealed" debate. Probably not a good plan IMHO.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Went to Wal-Mart tonight after school, so about 9:15 pm when I got there. OCed again. Grabbed a cart as I had extra shopping to do. Headed back to the sporting goods and as I got to the counter, 2 employees were walking by. Good thing cause I needed them to check for ammo for me. Was funny tho cause the guy looked right at my gun and almost jumped! Then I turn to him and say "Can you check if you have any 9 mil ammo in stock?" Heh he never said anything, but was funny. Other than that nothing exciting and nobody said anything about it. A couple poeple shopping may have noticed it, no staring or weird looks though. The cashier had to have seen it, as it was RIGHT THERE as I was unloading my cart. But she didn't say anything or seem to care.

So can still say my Wal-Mart experiences have been good so far!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Our next event will be dinner at about 6:30PM onThursday July 9, 2008. We will be visiting one of our local establishments. Anyone who is interested, please PM for details.

Carry on

Woodchuck

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

Our next event will be dinner at about 6:30PM on Thursday July 9, 2008.  We will be visiting one of our local establishments.  Anyone who is interested, please PM for details.

Carry on

I think this will be a great evening and highly recommend anyone that can make it to come. Would love to see a few more in the area participate.

If your reluctant or nervous to OC, I understand completely. I know I was nervous as hell the first time I did. This will be the perfect ice breaker for ya & we would love to help you out.

Woodchuck

imported post

Needed a haircut after work so I stopped into the southside Fantastic Sams, I parked down by Ace to make sure I walked by a few more people.

I don't think the lady about to cut my hair noticed till I sat down in the chair. She didn't say anything but I noticed a slight demeanor change. Not bad just a little on edge it seemed. Paid, gave her a tip and wished everyone there a great weekend.

Walked down to Ace to get a sump pump. Had about 5-7 employees that I'm positive noticed but all went smooth.

Oh, Also stopped into Quillins a couple evenings ago and everything went smooth without any reactions at all

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Went to Wal-Mart yesterday, was looking for the Off Clip-ons. Ran into a fellow OCDO member (hauling4u) and was talking to him. Apparently one of the guys he who was right next to him and still there when I got there, was very anti-carry. This guy was an off-duty police officer for a small town and told hauling4u that if he saw him carrying, he'd have to arrest him. This off-duty cop never even noticed my Glock 19. Also while I was standing there, one of the managers was nearby for a while and never said anything.

Later I went to Gander Mountain, looking for the same thing. Don't think a single employee even noticed...least not till I got outside and had to case it back up, think a couple people outside noticed then.

Woodchuck

imported post

logan wrote:
Don't think a single employee even noticed...least not till I got outside and had to case it back up, think a couple people outside noticed then.

This is probably my biggest deterrent right now from carrying everywhere I legally can. I carry almost everywhere now but the real quick stops. Takes just as long to holster up and put away as it does to run into KT for them damn Salt & Pepper sunflower seeds.

Glad ya had a couple good trips.

I stopped into Pro Cellular to replace a broken phone today. Karen, the manager, didn't notice for a minute or two till she walked right by me. She says "What the hell ya doing carrying a damn gun in here!" I say, "I wasn't aware you had a no firearms policy." She says, "You can carry it if I can shoot back", I laughed a little and that was the end of that.

10 min later a father and son(prbly 25ish)walk in. As Karen is now multitasking with both of us the two other customers are constantly glancing at my G20. After a little chit chat I hand them each a pamphlet on Wisconsin Gun Rights. They both perk up and tell me how great it is to see a citizen openly carrying a gun and the father talks about an armed society is a much better place to be, we need more people carrying and how we're losing our country. I tell them about the LaCrosse Tea Party and they were excited to hear about it. They tell me their coming and they hope to see me and I better be carrying. Told them they could count on it and I left.