• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry to/from a range

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I understand that some ranges in CT require a carry permit for someone to use their facilities but there are those which do not. Is there a way for those who carry in their home/business to get practice time without having a carry permit?

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

Nope, nada, zero. You can NOT legally carry or even TRANSPORT a handgun from your home/business if you don't have the full State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. I have a good ol' southern boy ex-coworker who is in jail right now because he thought he didn't need no stinkin' permit just to go shooting when he first moved up here. Turns out some undercover staties did a range spot check and he got popped with 6 Class D felonies. Three handguns and two charges for each. Illegal possession (outside of the home) and illegal transportation of a handgun (in the car). The law says REGARDLESS OF CONDITION when referring to a handgun. So, unloaded and locked in a box in the trunk doesn't cut it. Phucking yay for the wonderful state of CT. :banghead:

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Most ranges rent handguns, however you must have a certificate that you have passed the NRA pistol course (this certification is only good for 1 year). This is the same course that you need to obtain a Carry Permit in CT. In my opinion allwho own guns should have a carry permit, even if owned for home or business protection. If you own a gun you should carry it so that you can also protect yourself when not at home or at your business. This also allows you to practice with your handgun, which is essetial for proper self defense.

goinveg if you need a good NRA instructor PM me andI will put you in contact with one of the CCDL members who is a certified NRA instructor.

TL

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Thanks, airgunner23. I saw that CGS 29-35 offers an exception for "formal training" but reading closer that appears to be for competition purposes only.

Thanks, LOVER - I just got my temporary on Friday so I will be heading to DPS in Middletown to get the permanent ASAP.

So much easier - and cheaper - elsewhere :exclaim::X but I'm not there, now.:cry:

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
Most ranges rent handguns, however you must have a certificate that you have passed the NRA pistol course (this certification is only good for 1 year). This is the same course that you need to obtain a Carry Permit in CT.

Not true. I used a several year old certificate from a course I took out at Gunsite in Arizona. Also, if you're prior military, a DD-214 will work as well. Doesn't matter how old it is.

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

goinveg wrote:
Thanks, airgunner23. I saw that CGS 29-35 offers an exception for "formal training" but reading closer that appears to be for competition purposes only.
You are correct. I specifically asked the DPS/SFLU about "formal training" and just going to the range doesn't cut it. You have to be part of a scheduled training session and be able to prove it by being on a roster when going (or having a receipt when returning) if you get stopped and the corrupt nazis find a handgun(s) in your car. :quirky

GoldCoaster

imported post

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*

*Except in Connecticut where you are automatically considered a felon if you step foot off your property regardless of if you're a law-abiding person not prohibited from possessing firearms by any of the disqualifying conditions.

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

GoldCoaster wrote
*Except in Connecticut where you are automatically considered a felon if you step foot off your property regardless of if you're a law-abiding person not prohibited from possessing firearms by any of the disqualifying conditions.
Yeah, no sh!t. Welcome to living behind the fukking enemy lines! :banghead::cuss:

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Sec. 27-2. Classes of militia. The militia shall be divided into four classes as follows: The unorganized militia, the organized militia, the National Guard and the naval militia. The National Guard for the purposes of this chapter shall consist of the National Guard and the Air National Guard. The unorganized militia shall consist of all male citizens and all male residents of the state who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, not exempt from military duty by federal or state laws or by such reasons of physical or mental disabilities as shall be prescribed in general orders or regulations published by the Adjutant General and approved by the Governor and who are not members of the organized militia or of the National Guard or of the naval militia, and all female citizens and all female residents of the state who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, who may voluntarily offer their services to the state. The organized militia shall consist of the Governor's Guards, the State Guard and such other military forces as may be designated by the Governor as commander-in-chief, which may hereafter be organized under the provisions of the laws of this state. The National Guard shall consist of such forces as may be organized and maintained by this state pursuant to the laws and regulations of the United States relating to the National Guard. The naval militia shall consist of such persons as may enlist or be appointed or commissioned therein as a special force for coast protection and as a naval reserve and shall be organized and maintained by this state pursuant to the laws and regulations of the United States relating to the naval militia and may include a marine corps branch of the naval militia subordinate thereto in all matters pertaining to command, discipline or administration. The organized militia, the National Guard, the naval militia and marine corps branch of the naval militia, whenever organized, shall be, for all purposes under the general statutes, the armed forces of the state.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Sec. 27-2. Classes of militia. The militia shall be divided into four classes as follows: The unorganized militia, the organized militia, the National Guard and the naval militia. The National Guard for the purposes of this chapter shall consist of the National Guard and the Air National Guard. The unorganized militia shall consist of all male citizens and all male residents of the state who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, not exempt from military duty by federal or state laws or by such reasons of physical or mental disabilities as shall be prescribed in general orders or regulations published by the Adjutant General and approved by the Governor and who are not members of the organized militia or of the National Guard or of the naval militia, and all female citizens and all female residents of the state who have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, between the ages of eighteen and forty-five years, who may voluntarily offer their services to the state. The organized militia shall consist of the Governor's Guards, the State Guard and such other military forces as may be designated by the Governor as commander-in-chief, which may hereafter be organized under the provisions of the laws of this state. The National Guard shall consist of such forces as may be organized and maintained by this state pursuant to the laws and regulations of the United States relating to the National Guard. The naval militia shall consist of such persons as may enlist or be appointed or commissioned therein as a special force for coast protection and as a naval reserve and shall be organized and maintained by this state pursuant to the laws and regulations of the United States relating to the naval militia and may include a marine corps branch of the naval militia subordinate thereto in all matters pertaining to command, discipline or administration. The organized militia, the National Guard, the naval militia and marine corps branch of the naval militia, whenever organized, shall be, for all purposes under the general statutes, the armed forces of the state.

So what this is telling me is that for onlyone more year I may be able tobe partthe "unorganized" Militia.

Over the hill at 45. That sucks!!

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Nope. You can still join with the unorganized militia if it is called up. You turning a year older just takes you out of the mandatory classification and puts you into the voluntary class.

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Nope. You can still join with the unorganized militia if it is called up. You turning a year older just takes you out of the mandatory classification and puts you into the voluntary class.
Are you saying CT can press civilians into militia service against their will?

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
Yup, and it's in the law books therefore it's "legal" according to your definition because it says so in the law.
Even if you already did a sh^tload of active duty military time and aren't even in a reserve component? I'd like to see them make it stick, but it will never happen anyway.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

airgunner23 wrote:
JUMPMASTER wrote:
Yup, and it's in the law books therefore it's "legal" according to your definition because it says so in the law.
Even if you already did a sh^tload of active duty military time and aren't even in a reserve component? I'd like to see them make it stick, but it will never happen anyway.
That I don't know. I tried asking some people in the state military department that same question and got no answer. One guy told me to call JAG and gave me a phone number of 860-548-3203. I'm going to call and see if I can get an answer out of them.

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

I just curious as to how they can legally "draft" civilians against their will. I bet it would fail miserably in court. But, I'm not really concerned that this would ever happen anyway. I'd never serve in the CT militia because if things got that bad in CT, I'd be bugging out far away from this libtard blue piece of sh^t state. :quirky

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
You won't get far because Janet Napolitano already has your name and everyone else that posts herenear the top of her watch list.
Own much stock in Reynolds, do ya? Hey, I work for the largest "black helicopter" company in the world! :shock:

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

airgunner23 wrote:
JUMPMASTER wrote:
So you will toe the line on not OC'ing even though the law doesn't say you can't but you will fight the govt when they try to make you defend the state?

airgunner23

Banned
imported post

goinveg wrote
So you will toe the line on not OC'ing even though the law doesn't say you can't but you will fight the govt when they try to make you defend the state?
Yup, exactly...I did my duty for a LONG time already. I'm done with "serving". And what's this "toeing the line with OC"? I'm NOWHERE near that line for OC in CT. And CT isn't "my state". I'm only here for the job. If I have to leave because things get that bad, I could not care less what happens to/in CT.