• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT permit holder moving to NC

flibdob

imported post

Hi all, I'm currently an immigrant alien (green card holder) here in CT and have a pistol permit and the obligatory small collection of pistols. I'll be moving to NC within the next year and wanted to know if any of you could advise me of whether 1. a non citizen can hold a NC permit and 2. are there any non-resident permits that I could apply for that would be recognized in NC.

I'm worried I'll have to leave my gun collection here in CT.

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Mr. Glock

imported post

Last time I checked to be able to own, carry, or obtain any CCW permits you had to be a citizen of the United States. NC doesn't issue permits or permit, permits from non citizens. There are two types of permits that NC issue either a purchase or carry concealed weapon permit, other than these, there is no such other permit available. My suggestion is that you first apply for your citizenship.

RayBurton72

imported post

flibdob wrote:
Hi all, I'm currently an immigrant alien (green card holder) here in CT and have a pistol permit and the obligatory small collection of pistols. I'll be moving to NC within the next year and wanted to know if any of you could advise me of whether 1. a non citizen can hold a NC permit and 2. are there any non-resident permits that I could apply for that would be recognized in NC.

I'm worried I'll have to leave my gun collection here in CT.

Many thanks for any help and advice.
There is no permit required to own firearms in NC, and as far as I know, there are no state laws restricting ownership by a green card holder.

Additionally, while NC will not issue a Concealed Handgun Permit to a non-state resident or a non-citizen (See NCGS 14-415.12).

North Carolina recognizes the permits issued by several other states. See: NCGS 14-415.24, including Virginia, which ofers a non-resident permit.

Additionally, I I believe VA will issue to somone holding a green card. Check it out here: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm#Persons%20Not%20Qualified%20to%20Obtain%20a%20Permit.

Hope this helps.

flibdob

imported post

Thanks RayBurton for the advice. I noticed the NC rules do prohibit non-citizens from applying for a permit but as you state, that's to buy or to carry concealed. So, as long as I have some way to get my guns to my house in NC (by a permit holder) I should be okay - just not to carry/transport.

I'm always confused as to whether holding a non-resident permit gets you reciprocity. If I were to hold a Virginia or New Hampshire non-resident permit for example would that entitle me to carry in NC?

In response to Mr Glock - CT (and most other states) will give permits to Immigrant Aliens (Green Card holders). I'd love to apply for Citizenship immediately but the powers that be insist on having to have lived here for 5 years with a green card before I can even apply. I can't wait for that date to get me Citizenship to what is, despite the current political situation, still the best country in the world.

Many thanks for all your help - really appreciate it.

Paul

jkeith

imported post

As others have said, you are not eligible for a ccw in NC, but I believe you are eligible for a pistol purchase permit. In NC you must obtain a purchase permit before buying and having transferred to you any handgun. These permits are issued by the local county sheriff and are kept by whoever you receive the handgun from. This is not registration, simply a permit to purchase (a bill in being considered by our legislature to do away with this requirement).

The rules for obtaining a purchase permit state that someone living illegally in the US cannot obtain a permit. Further, IF the individual was a US citizen and renounced that citizenship, then they are not eligible. However, it does not bar a legal immigrant, such as yourself, from obtaining a purchase permit.

RayBurton72

imported post

flibdob wrote:
Thanks RayBurton for the advice. I noticed the NC rules do prohibit non-citizens from applying for a permit but as you state, that's to buy or to carry concealed. So, as long as I have some way to get my guns to my house in NC (by a permit holder) I should be okay - just not to carry/transport.

I'm always confused as to whether holding a non-resident permit gets you reciprocity. If I were to hold a Virginia or New Hampshire non-resident permit for example would that entitle me to carry in NC?

In response to Mr Glock - CT (and most other states) will give permits to Immigrant Aliens (Green Card holders). I'd love to apply for Citizenship immediately but the powers that be insist on having to have lived here for 5 years with a green card before I can even apply. I can't wait for that date to get me Citizenship to what is, despite the current political situation, still the best country in the world.

Many thanks for all your help - really appreciate it.

Paul

A few final notes: transporting a firearm is NOT the same as carrying.

You can legally transport your firearms from Connecticut to NC regardless of having a permit under a Federal law that provides for "safe transit." Since it is legal for you to have them in Connecticut (starting point) and NC (stopping point), you may transport them by keeping them unloaded in the trunk, or locked in a carry case in the rear of the vehicle (if an SUV or Van).

Whether a non-resident has reciprocity depends on the state in which you are carrying: South Carolina does not honor ANY non-resident permits. NC makes no distinction (I carry on a VA non-resident permit in NC)

Adam H

imported post

jkeith is correct. Below is G.S. 14-404(c) which lists who is ineligible to receive a permit.

(c) A permit may not be issued to the following persons:
(1) One who is under an indictment or information for or has been convicted in any state, or in any court of the United States, of a felony (other than an offense pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade). However, a person who has been convicted of a felony in a court of any state or in a court of the United States and who is later pardoned may obtain a permit, if the purchase or receipt of a pistol or crossbow permitted in this Article does not violate a condition of the pardon.
(2) One who is a fugitive from justice.
(3) One who is an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug (as defined in 21 U.S.C. section 802).
(4) One who has been adjudicated mentally incompetent or has been committed to any mental institution.
(5) One who is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.
(6) One who has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions.
(7) One who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship.
(8) One who is subject to a court order that:
a. Was issued after a hearing of which the person received actual notice, and at which the person had an opportunity to participate;
b. Restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of the person or child of the intimate partner of the person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and
c. Includes a finding that the person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of the intimate partner or child; or by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury.
Since you are a legal resident alien, you are eligible for a pistol purchase permit. Of course, you only need a permit if you want to purchase a pistol once you have moved to NC. As for you existing firearms, you can bring them with you when you move. You don't need a permit to posses them and you don't need to register them.

As for carrying them, as long as open carry, you don't need a permit(State v Kerner). If you want to carry concealed, you can carry on a non-resident permit as long as it is recognized by NC. A VA or NH permit would work.

State v Kerner: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/state_v_kerner.txt
CCW Reciprocity: http://www.ncdoj.com/DocumentStreamerClient?directory=Publications&file=listofstates.pdf

flibdob

imported post

Thanks for all the advice - it's much appreciated. Glad I'll be able to maintain responsibility for the safety of my family in NC when I get there.

I've already received the non-resident VA permit application per Rayburton's advice and will be getting that off this weekend.

Top blokes - thanks again.

Paul