• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone OC'ing in Dodge county

xdfan83

imported post

I am beginning to OC on my property and plan on soon heading out in public. Just curious if anyone else has done this and if they have had any issues?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Just curious if anyone else has done this and if they have had any issues?

Not in Dodge county, but I'll come up and go grocery shopping strapped up if you want me to break the ice for you. ;)

Seriously though. You have nothing to worry about. Pick your favorite grocery store. Open carry next time you do your grocery shopping. Use a shopping cart. It gives your hands/arms something to do instead of just hang there.

Follow the law (unloaded and cased when you transport) as long as you are in the grocery store parking lot, you are in private property and don' t need to worry about school zones.

"Just do it!" ;)

We open carry in the lions den down here (milwaukee county) you'll have no problems in Dodge county. Most people won't notice at all. Some might notice, but people just go on about there business. I've open carried in Home Depot and Pick n Save in Milwaukee county, Target, Walmart, Pick n Save and a Gas station in Waukesha county. Not even a hint of anyone being disturbed.

So go out and OC and then post up and tell us how it went!

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dodge County Park Rules:

19.04PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES AND PARK REGULATIONS .

The following activities shall be prohibited in any Dodge County Park unless prior written approval is obtained from the Department:

WEAPONS, FIREARMS, FIREWORKS, HUNTING AND TRAPPING.(a)Possessing or having control of any firearm or airgun as defined in § 939.22, Wis. Stats., unless it is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case.

19.07PENALTIES

(2)Any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter, shall forfeit to Dodge County not less than $5.00 nor more than $500.00 together with costs of prosecution and restitution for damage of property. The judgment so obtained may be enforced in the same manner as any civil judgment. Any person who has the ability to pay such forfeiture but refuses to do so, may be referred to the committing court.

xdfan83

imported post

I just had my first successful public open carry. Went to the local Piggly Wiggly to pick up a few things for my wife and decided it was time to try it out. No one even seemed to notice. It was fairly busy and I know at least a few of the employees saw but not one word at all.

Thanks to everyone posting their stories about carrying. Without those stories I don't think I would have done it myself. I will continue to carry around Dodge county to get the word out. I would be more than willing to meet with anyone and go for a carry in the area if you are interested or just want someone to go with you for the first time.

Let's all keep up the good work and make this common knowledge.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Without those stories I don't think I would have done it myself. I will continue to carry around Dodge county to get the word out.
Please keep posting your carry experiences! As you say, it definitely helps other people build their confidence. Well done!

smithman

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
Without those stories I don't think I would have done it myself. I will continue to carry around Dodge county to get the word out.
Please keep posting your carry experiences! As you say, it definitely helps other people build their confidence. Well done!
You are in good company. I OC everywhere now and have yet to have a negative experience. Though many of us have started regular OC, we know that there are still people sitting on the fence about it, even on this website. Let's empower each other to OC and exercise our rights by keeping to post our OC stories.

xdfan83

imported post

Just got back from another successful open carry at Walmart in Beaver Dam. I had nothing said to me at all. I didn't notice any strange looks and I know a lot of employees saw me. It was fairly busy and I was in there for about 15 minutes. It gets easier each time. I plan on going for a walk on a busy Beaver Dam street this weekend if anyone is interested. Im not sure what day. I'm thinking Friday evening would be good. Maybe stop somewhere for dinner if my wife is willing to come along with. If anyone is interested in joining let me know and we can figure something out.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you can find some other OC'ers in your area, you should consider going out to lunch or dinner together. It makes OC'ing easier on the nerves for recent converts and its a great way to make friends or like-minded acquaintences. Really, these things can be a lot of fun!

xdfan83

imported post

Did some carrying again today. Went to the local car wash and kwik trip which was right next door to get some cash. Was there for about 20 minutes total and no one noticed once again. Anyone in the area who would like to carry somewhere just let me know. I would be more than happy to join anyone.

xdfan83

imported post

Carried again at the local Subway and then walked over to the gas station next door. There were a couple of High School kids working at Subway who seemed to be quite nervous at first but made a few jokes with them and by the end they seemed fine. Got my father in law to carry along with me and I believe he will begin to carry now on a much more regular basis. Was out at my range yesterday and had an older gentleman ask me about carrying and if I have had any problems. I told him nothing so far and he seemed quite happy about it.

Nytedrgn

imported post

HEy XDfan I'm in dodge county as well......actually recently moved back to dodge county from brown county due to a financial downturn...

I would OC with you but I'm without firearms at the present time...still trying to figure out the best way to own a firearm with my present situation(will get to that in another separate post).

Be careful in beaver dam, way too many schools for my taste. Almost like walking a gauntlet in certain area's.

xdfan83

imported post

I was in Juneau this afternoon at Movie Gallery and also at Piggly Wiggly. Carried in both places with no issues. Got a few strange looks but no one said anything. I have only carried in Beaver Dam at stores which are private property so don't have to worry about school zones. When the weather is nice one of these weekends I would like to get a few people together to go for a walk around the Culvers area where there are no school zones. Probably stop in the for lunch since they don't serve any alcohol. If anyone is interested pm me and we can figure something out.

Nytedrgn

imported post

well xdfan83 I would advise against carrying in the movie gallery or piggly wiggly in juneau again...your within the 1000 ft gun free school zone....I believe the front doors to both establishments are about 250ft shy of the 1000ft...but it is private property...BUT still risky.

I'd join ya at culvers, but I'm experiences financial hardships and wouldn't want to impose.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

your within the 1000 ft gun free school zone....I believe the front doors to both establishments are about 250ft shy of the 1000ft...but it is private property...BUT still risky.
Not risky at all. I OC every week within a school zone when I grocery shop. Its private property. Not an issue.

Nytedrgn

imported post

true...I guess my stumbling point is that cops seam to refer to parking lots as public most of the time around juneau, beaver dam, watertown...until the property owner posts signs acknowledging it as such.

xdfan83

imported post

I'm just not too concerned with what the local officers consider to be law. I know what the laws are. I have not run into any officers as of yet but they should also know the law. If not then when they stop me they will find out when they call to find out if I'm legal.

otter

imported post

I carried today at Wal-Mart in Beaver Dam while I was getting some tires put on the car. I was there for nearly an hour, and the store was very busy (middle of the day) so plenty of people saw me. No questions asked, although I did get a few weird looks.

My attire may have thrown some people off though: I still had the lower half of my uniform on (black boots and 5.11 TDU cargo pants) and an NYPD t-shirt.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

drewdown wrote:
I carried today at Wal-Mart in Beaver Dam while I was getting some tires put on the car. I was there for nearly an hour, and the store was very busy (middle of the day) so plenty of people saw me. No questions asked, although I did get a few weird looks.

My attire may have thrown some people off though: I still had the lower half of my uniform on (black boots and 5.11 TDU cargo pants) and an NYPD t-shirt.
Thats cheating you looked like a cop!

But I won't lie, I'm in the WI National Guard, so when I carry I at least have the haircut, so they might figure I'm a cop or something off duty.