• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC around Fayetville

tracylaud83

imported post

I will be driving up from FL ina fewweeks for a wedding on base.

Anyone OC around Fayetville ?

Anywhere to avoid ??

Being from Florida, I'm used to CC, but would like to OC while there.

Any advice ??

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

ghoststan wrote:
avoid fortbragg or pope afb other than that any place that sells alchol or have a no waepon sign posted
what he means is anywhere where alcohol is bought AND consumed, like a restaurant/bar. gas stations and grocery stores that sell alcohol are fine.

but yeah, OC is entirely legal, except in restricted areas.

thnycav

imported post

Fort Bragg Regulation 190-12, 1 December 2004

Chapter 7 / Exceptions / 7-1. General exceptions. “Nothing in this regulation shall prohibit:
(g.) Fort Bragg is Federal property. As such, state-issued concealed handgun permits are not
recognized or valid on Fort Bragg. Therefore, persons entering Fort Bragg must comply with all
the provisions of this regulation, regardless of whether or not they hold a state-issued concealed
handgun permit. This includes all personnel who enter through any Access Control Point (ACP).
An exception is granted for personnel holding valid North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permits
who directly traverse public highways through Fort Bragg as long as they are not stopping on or
within the installation, or going through an Access Control Point (ACP). Apart from this,
carrying of concealed weapons (of any sort) on Fort Bragg is strictly prohibited.”

The above extract is taken directly from the regulation. But there are other portions of the regulation that state CCH permits are not honored. This sort of ambiguity is prevalent throughout the regulation. In addition to that problem, a sampling of Military Policeman and Contract Security Officers (manning the ACPs) will yield different interpretations and even a lack of familiarity with this exemption. It is highly recommended that if you intend to transit Ft. Bragg using this exemption, you keep a hard-copy of FB 190-12 in your vehicle so you can show your intent to comply with it. It can be found and printed from the web at: http://www.bragg.army.mil/PSBC-PM/ProvostMarshalDocs/FB Reg 190-12.pdf

As Concealed Carry permitees know, there are restrictions regarding the transport and possession of any firearm on Federal property. Ft. Bragg is no exception. 2004 is the most recent version weapons regulation for the post (FB 190-12). This revision updates the regulation to include changes appropriate to the post 9-11 security on the installation. The Provost Marshall’s Office (PMO) is charged with overseeing the enforcement of this regulation. The Provost Marshall is akin to the Sheriff of the military reservation.
The current regulation states that NC CCH permit holders can transport their handguns concealed across the reservation provided that they are coming from one off-post location and going to another off-post location and provided that they are not stopping anywhere on the post. The regulation states that the permit holder must also be using “public roadways” or “public highways”. The regulation clearly states that this is outside the checkpoints that lead into the cantonment area. The PMO has stated that you cannot enter any of the checkpoints with a concealed or loaded weapon. The stipulation about being able to transit Ft. Bragg from one off post location to another only applies if you are using exterior roads (outside checkpoints) such as Lamont, McRidge, Bragg Blvd/24-27, Murchison Rd/210, Plank Rd, King Rd, Preachers Rd and Longstreet and Chicken Roads outside their checkpoints and then only if you do not stop on post.
If you do need to enter through a checkpoint, you must have your firearm unloaded and separate from the ammunition. If you have a trunk or toolbox, either the gun or ammunition should be in it. If you do not (truck, van, SUV, etc) make your best effort to keep gun and ammunition separate. Also, it is recommended that the firearm be in some sort of case such as a firearm shipping case (i.e. do not have it unloaded and still concealed on your person or hidden under the seat, etc).
If you do not have a concealed carry permit, there is no provision on Ft. Bragg to carry openly, as you can do in NC proper. In this case you will need to comply with the above directions for entering a checkpoint of the installation or for stopping on post, regardless of where you are.
On Ft. Bragg, you can only carry tear/O.C. pepper spray if it is for personal protection and if the capacity doesn’t exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
Also, by Ft. Bragg definition, a loaded weapon is any weapon with the ammunition in the breech, chamber, cylinder, magazine or other loading mechanism attached to the weapon.
Civilian violators of the above restrictions may be subject to administrative and/or judicial action under Army Regulation 600-20 and Titles 5 and 8 of the U.S. Code.
Any weapons confiscated for being loaded and / or concealed can- and usually will- be destroyed.
Further questions on this can be directed to the XVIII Airborne Corps Provost Marshall’s Office at (910) 396-4931/0391/0392.

tracylaud83

imported post

Just returned

OC the whole time.

No problems at all. OC in Souther Pines, Carthage, Fayetteville, Bragg and Pope.

Had some strange looks at 1 wal-mart, but no one else seemed to notice or care.

Even was at Bragg PX (I stayed in the food court, as my sister-in-law shopped for something). No issues.

Again, I had a good hair-cut, dress pants, Polo shirt, so I agree that it's how you look and present yourself.

Places I went were Hardee's, Burger King, Wal-Marts, Michaels, Chapel, O-Club Bragg, O-Club Pope, PX/BX, Feed Store, Lowes, Piggly-Wiggly, Jerry's ?, and a few other places.

ghoststan

imported post

how did you pass the bragg checkpoint you have to tell them you are carrying a gun and ammo and gun have to be lock on different locations is posted all over the base

thnycav

imported post

You are right and when they confiscate it they will not return it. The weapon gets destroyed.

razor_baghdad

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
Just returned

OC the whole time.

No problems at all. OC in Souther Pines, Carthage, Fayetteville, Bragg and Pope.

Had some strange looks at 1 wal-mart, but no one else seemed to notice or care.

Even was at Bragg PX (I stayed in the food court, as my sister-in-law shopped for something). No issues.

Again, I had a good hair-cut, dress pants, Polo shirt, so I agree that it's how you look and present yourself.

Places I went were Hardee's, Burger King, Wal-Marts, Michaels, Chapel, O-Club Bragg, O-Club Pope, PX/BX, Feed Store, Lowes, Piggly-Wiggly, Jerry's ?, and a few other places.

Sorry.....but OC at the PX I simply don't believe....there are enough gun savvy folks on Bragg to have told you to stash it or even call the MP's on you.....Pope BX...anywhere on Pope also....

If I had seen you, I'd have tapped you on the shoulder and asked you to stash it.

If you are military, why would you risk your military career to OC on Fed property?? I don't think you did.

If you OCed with yourSIL in the PX / BX, you endangered her career or her husbands career as her sponsor.

If you need a refresher, here ya go:

Fort Bragg Regulation 190-12, 1 December 2004

Chapter 7 / Exceptions / 7-1. General exceptions. “Nothing in this regulation shall prohibit: (g.) Fort Bragg is Federal property. As such, state-issued concealed handgun permits are not recognized or valid on Fort Bragg.

Therefore, persons entering Fort Bragg must comply with all the provisions of this regulation, regardless of whether or not they hold a state-issued concealed handgun permit. This includes all personnel who enter through any Access Control Point (ACP).

An exception is granted for personnel holding valid North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permits who directly traverse public highways through Fort Bragg as long as they are not stopping on or within the installation, or going through an Access Control Point (ACP). (IE Fort Bragg Blvd / Hwy 87)

Apart from this,
carrying of concealed weapons (of any sort) on Fort Bragg is strictly prohibited.”

Stay / Besmart.

tracylaud83

imported post

You are all correct.

I did have my ID, and Badge ready, just in case , But know one even asked.

Unless you have ID like mine, I wouldn't risk it. As everything you said and postedis true.

And the hired gate guards, just looked at my ID, and waived us thru. (No sticker on the car)

razor_baghdad

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
You are all correct.

I did have my ID, and Badge ready, just in case , But know one even asked.

Unless you have ID like mine, I wouldn't risk it. As everything you said and postedis true.

And the hired gate guards, just looked at my ID, and waived us thru. (No sticker on the car)
Quick question --- Is your SIL military or your brother military??

FightingGlock19

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:

what part of this cockamamie are we supposed to being led to believe?

tracylaud83

imported post

Call me a troll, and disregard this post.....

I'm not giving family names in Army, nor posting my Fed ID.

So, with nothing else to prove anything I did on that trip. Disregard........

mekender

imported post

from his other posts, he is either an active or retired prison guard for either the federal government or the state of FL...

either way, his ID would probably get him out of just about any trouble for carrying on base...

bennwj

imported post

I have to throw the serious B.S. flag out on this one. I have 16 years at Ft. Bragg and can state for a fact that the only "Badge" that will allow a person who is NOT on duty to carry is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer....DEA, FBI, USSS etc. Off Duty CID agents do not carry and either do Off Duty MPs. Hell, MPs on duty there do not carry a round in the chamber......

Many, many Soldiers at Bragg have NC CCWs, but nobody with half a brain would try to open carry at the P.X

bennwj

imported post

mekender wrote:
from his other posts, he is either an active or retired prison guard for either the federal government or the state of FL...

either way, his ID would probably get him out of just about any trouble for carrying on base...

No it wouldn't......

I have a friend who is married to a NC State Trooper. When she comes on post her gun can not come with her unless she is acting in an official capacity when she comes on post.

I have another friend who is a Secret Service Agent and when he visits (I lived on post) he showed his credentials at the gate and he was allowed to carry....

If the original poster was actually credentialed to carry on federal property he would not have even posted his test of OC. He would have known that he was permitted to carry.

Big RED B.S. flag

tracylaud83

imported post

What TEST ????

All I said was that the gate guards (Not even military), didn't even look or ask.....

I also said that I had credentials on hand and ready, but no one even asked...

Gilly

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
What TEST ????

All I said was that the gate guards (Not even military), didn't even look or ask.....

I also said that I had credentials on hand and ready, but no one even asked...
Without posting a picture of them, exactly what kind of credentials do you "have?" I smell something...