• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing Through

j2l3

imported post

Howdy! I'll be passing through eastern Oregon on I-84 next month. Won't really be stopping, just passing through. SInce Oregon doesn't recognize my Washington CPL, what do I need to know for OC in that part of your state to keep out of trouble?

Thanks!

Phssthpok

imported post

You can go unloaded if you like, but that kinda defeats the purpose of being armed.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing east of the cascades is off-limits to loaded OC.

(Beware the I-82/US-395 Umatilla Army Depot 'federal property' trap though)

adamsesq

imported post

As long as you stay east of Portland you should be fine as said. But don't cross into Portland with that magazine in the pistol or even rounds in the magazine seperate from the pistol!

-adamsesq

Jeffytune

imported post

Hi.

If I may be over critical here, technically you will be passing neer the Umitlla Indian reservation and federal Forestry land. And both of those could pose an issue. You need permission to bring a pistol on tribal lands, and federal forest are under the control of the BLM.

Here is a link to the USGA map.
http://www.nationalatlas.gov/printable/images/pdf/fedlands/or.pdf

I think if it were I, I would just unload it wile driving in Oregon, and put it in a case in the back. Drive through in the daytime, and, really, I have driven out there, there ain't a whole lotta anything out there too worry over.

Just my 2 cents worth.

bamskel

imported post

understanding the specifics...

I'll be traveling through for a wedding this summer, will most likely be camping along the coast. Coming from Alaska, which does not require any license for concealed or open carry. Would like to carry open while in Oregon, but know that specific cities (ones stated in this thread) I should just not carry at all in, and keep it locked up in the car.

Thankfully, I will only be driving through any of them, and flying into Portland just to rent a car and drive out.

Just making sure I'm understanding Oregon laws correctly, but no license is required for open carry other then specific cities such as the ones stated here? And public places, etc...

I need to figure out where exactly I'll be camping at though, I saw someone say BLM controls forest-type areas? What are the BLM laws? I'll most likely be near/around Newport for our camping section.

jerg_064

imported post

Jeffytune wrote:
Hi.

If I may be over critical here, technically you will be passing neer the Umitlla Indian reservation and federal Forestry land. And both of those could pose an issue. You need permission to bring a pistol on tribal lands, and federal forest are under the control of the BLM.
Unlike NPS; BLM respects the local/state laws when it comes to firearms so you can open carry on BLM land.

wayneco

imported post

When you are driving on a road that passes through an indian reservation, as far as I can tell, as long as you don't get off the road, you are not technically on the reservation.

I know this because I regularly go to a place in northern Nevada where I have a home and the only route is a Nevada state two lane road that is bordered on both sides by a Piaute reservation. Everyone uses this as the route from Reno to go hunting, everyone (and I mean everyone) in the town has guns and rifles, as do I. When we took our concealed carry class in that town, our instructor said that there is no carry or transport on reservations but if you stay on the road, you're not on the res.

I'll just pass this on, it certainly sounds plausible and I treat it as fact when transporting my weapons to-and-fro.

adamsesq

imported post

I do not do Indian Law but I understand that the previous post is not accurate. You are on a reservation if you are within their borders. They CAN enforce Indian Law on anyone even if you are only a state highway within their boundaries. Most of the time they don't, however.

Warm Springs has been known to put up road blocks on US 26 looking for alcohol but they generally have let anyone go that was not Indian.

-adamsesq

j2l3

imported post

I don't know about Oregon but in Washington, Tribal police cannot enforce state or local law on non-indians. They can detain you and call the local Sherrif to come deal with you. They cannot file criminal charges on you.

The exception to this is if the tribal police have received equivelant training to the state police academy and are certified by the tribal THEN they can enforce local and state laws on non-indians.

Also, in Washington, a state highway is a state highway and state law applies.

Squeak

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Howdy! I'll be passing through eastern Oregon on I-84 next month. Won't really be stopping, just passing through. SInce Oregon doesn't recognize my Washington CPL, what do I need to know for OC in that part of your state to keep out of trouble?

Thanks!
I'll be going to ID on the same route - on my bike. I normally OC, but the top of my jacket covers the top of my gun. OC on a bike going through OR O.K.? The only stops will ge gas, food, and yes, potty!