• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of home depot in Lacey.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

So a few months ago, you may recall that I went into the Lacey Home Depot to make the management aware of their own policy, explain my rationale/logic for carrying, educate about state law, provide copies of their own corporate policy, etc etc.. to prevent any possible problems in the future..

Today, the SAME manager came up to me after I'd been in the store for 2 mins and in no uncertain terms told me that HIS policy was that he didn't want firearms in his store and his 'loss protection team' agreed with him. When I mentioned that he was violating the CORPORATE policy (of which I had previously handed him) and reminded him that I had already been over this with him, he said that HIS policy is to not allow firearms in the store, and said that if I didn't leave that he'd call the police and have me arrested (this was about the third sentence out of his mouth). He refused to give me a business card, and because he was NOT in any home depot approved attire (no ID card, smock, etc) I had to ask his name. I asked him the name of the store manager and he replied that the ONLY person above him was the district manager, which was a blatant lie, as there is a store manager as well...

LUCKILY, I was able to acquire the store managers, district managers, and district 'loss prevention' managers names/numbers from alternate sources.

I'll update as I go...

I'm sick and tired of this personal agenda bullshit...

Nitrox314

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
"...and his 'loss protection team' agreed with him."
You mean the guys that are supposed to keep things from getting shoplifted? I was not aware they were a task force in a whole different department from store employees... I don't recall that shoplifters usually carried guns...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'll update as I go...
Looking forward to your update...

How much were you planning to spend? I'd sure make that information part of my communications with those at higher levels.

heresolong

imported post

BB62 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'll update as I go...
How much were you planning to spend?
I don't know that this makes much of a difference. A customer is a customer and the little amount one spends on one visit is pretty negligible, no matter what. The big thing is the loss of regular customers and the violation of corporate policy by a manager who doesn't have that authority.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

heresolong wrote:
BB62 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'll update as I go...
How much were you planning to spend?
I don't know that this makes much of a difference. A customer is a customer and the little amount one spends on one visit is pretty negligible, no matter what. The big thing is the loss of regular customers and the violation of corporate policy by a manager who doesn't have that authority.
Obviously. But for those on the fence, losing sales $$ (especially lots of them) is something they don't want to be a part of.

And besides,it might make for a largergift card, offered in apology!:quirky

heresolong

imported post

deanf wrote:
I'm sick and tired of this personal agenda bull@#$%...

Oh, the irony.
So you are assuming that everyone on this board carries because they have a personal agenda, and not because they believe in the right to self defense and because OC is a more convenient and comfortable way to carry than CC?

deanf

imported post

So you are assuming that everyone on this board carries because they have a personal agenda, and not because they believe in the right to self defense and because OC is a more convenient and comfortable way to carry than CC?

Of course not.

When a person goes into a store armed with literature, and is there specifically to "educate" store management about a particular subject, that is a personal agenda. Need I explain the irony further?

heresolong

imported post

deanf wrote:

Of course not.

When a person goes into a store armed with literature, and is there specifically to "educate" store management about a particular subject, that is a personal agenda. Need I explain the irony further?
Sure. Except that I think we can all agree, however, that the store manager has no right to use corporate property to further his personal agenda in direct conflict with the corporate policy. That is why I don't think that "irony" is necessarily the appropriate term here. The manager is in violation of the terms of his employment contract and the OP is taking his free time to clarify something that he believes in. Not really ironic at all.

deanf

imported post

that the store manager has no right to use corporate property to further his personal agenda in direct conflict with the corporate policy.

The manager is in violation of the terms of his employment contract

None of these things is any of our business. These are private matters between the employer and the manager. We shouldn't be butting in. The store manager or any representative of the company right down to the kid who cleans the urinals has full legal authority to eject any person (who is not in a protected class) from the store for any reason. Whether they have authority from their employer to eject people is a separate matter and again, none of our business.

What other action could possibly be taken by an OCer against this store manager for this violation of corporate policy other than a boycott and reporting the manager to his employers? Does someone propose calling the police? A lawsuit? What?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

deanf wrote:

Oh, the irony.

Hard to compare going out of your way to prevent issues vs going out of your way to cause issues (contravening corporate policy in the process).

Is a salvation army bell ringer not supposed to complain about telemarketers? They are both soliciting money, after all...

Manu

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
......his 'loss protection team' agreed with him. ....
Thats strange never heard of a "loss prevention team" helping managers to loose a customer and other potential customers.....keep us updated for other developments.

deanf

imported post

Hard to compare going out of your way to prevent issues vs going out of your way to cause issues (contravening corporate policy in the process).

The issue caused is in the eye of the beholder. Walking into a store in what amounts to a cold sales call and then proceeding to "inform" store management of their own policy could be seen as causing an issue on their end. And even if you do have the dispensation of corporate to OC there, it may be an issue for the store manager and anyone else at the store if you do. How they decide to deal with the issue is another matter, but it is an issue.

deanf

imported post

This melodramatic affront that some of our more strident members take when not kowtowed to by merchants and others is really off-putting.

Literature from corporate does not establish a right to carry at Home Depot. It gives you license to do so. License which can be taken away on the spot by the manager or any other employee. They can revoke this license without regard to circumstance and enforce any code of conduct on you which they at their sole discretion choose. If you're not agreeable, your only recourse at the moment is to leave.

Again I ask,
What other action could possibly be taken by an OCer against this store manager for this violation of corporate policy other than a boycott and reporting the manager to his employers? Does someone propose calling the police? A lawsuit? What?

Machoduck

imported post

deanf, you seem to be missing a major point here. TechnoWeenie followed his so-called "agenda" 6 months ago. That has nothing to do with what just happened.

This whole series of responses by you has me wondering where you stand on the issue of how we should fight for the continued life of our rights. Let's face it; TechnoWeenie ran into a bigot, plain and simple. Bigots know it all, prejudge other people, and thus have no intention of being confused by the facts. I shudder to think of what your behavior would have been, had you been born black, in the South, and had been advising other blacks in how to deal with racial bigotry.

MD

deanf

imported post

TechnoWeenie followed his so-called "agenda" 6 months ago. That has nothing to do with what just happened.

He connects the two happenings in his opening post. They are related.

This whole series of responses by you has me wondering where you stand on the issue of how we should fight for the continued life of our rights.

There is no right to carry at Home Depot, or on any other private property. There is license, which I've explained above. There is no right to be free from bigotry or discrimination on private property unless you are a member of a protected class.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
So a few months ago, you may recall that I went into the Lacey Home Depot to make the management aware of their own policy, explain my rationale/logic for carrying, educate about state law, provide copies of their own corporate policy, etc etc.. to prevent any possible problems in the future..

Today, the SAME manager came up to me after I'd been in the store for 2 mins and in no uncertain terms told me that HIS policy was that he didn't want firearms in his store and his 'loss protection team' agreed with him. When I mentioned that he was violating the CORPORATE policy (of which I had previously handed him) and reminded him that I had already been over this with him, he said that HIS policy is to not allow firearms in the store, and said that if I didn't leave that he'd call the police and have me arrested (this was about the third sentence out of his mouth). He refused to give me a business card, and because he was NOT in any home depot approved attire (no ID card, smock, etc) I had to ask his name. I asked him the name of the store manager and he replied that the ONLY person above him was the district manager, which was a blatant lie, as there is a store manager as well...

LUCKILY, I was able to acquire the store managers, district managers, and district 'loss prevention' managers names/numbers from alternate sources.

I'll update as I go...

I'd like to hear the store manager's side of the story--especiallywith regard to when,whyand how he asked you to leave. Was it really the "third sentence" he uttered to you?

You have painted a picture of the manager being emotional, brusque, uncaring and possibly vindictive. That may very well be true. And that would probably help you as you follow up on a complaint to district or corporate.

But what was YOUR attitude? What were YOUR statements? WHO CARES if the guy is in civvies with no name tag on? You already KNOW he is the manager in charge.

Once he tells you to git, you should git. Then do your fact-finding, complaining and follow-up. And be effective about it.

Is there any way we can get his side of the story? It would help in understanding what happened. We may be missing something that's important here.

Thundar

imported post

HankT wrote:
I'd like to hear the store manager's side of the story
Here you go Hank:

The manager is a narrow minded ideologue with a napoleon complex that every employee hates. He has conquered the employees and is now graduating to customers.

Techno Weenie is fighting back and the manager does not like it. Makethe despotfeel unemployment pain TW.

Do you get it yet Hank?

Thundar