Thread: I talked to Sheriff Bouchard

Post imported post

Talked for about 10 minutes, definitely a good conversation.

I would describe his tone as fairly apologetic about what happened. He wanted it known that he is very pro gun, "philosophically in line with what we are doing". He told me about how they have gone extra steps to make it easier to get CPL's in Oakland County, and how he is a very strong supporter of gun rights when the media contacts him.

He said that this incident is being used to create a training procedure that will be instituted through the entire department. This will include when you can demand ID/CPL, as well as the other obvious things that will need to be taught.

It sounds like what happened is being taken very seriously by Sheriff Bouchard and others there. He basically stated that because it's so uncommon to see open carrying, the deputies there were regrettably caught off guard. He also noted that from the tone of the one particular deputy, that they might have to talk to her about how she interacts with people.

I told him about how in another incident with MOC, an officer was visibly shaking when he interacted with us, and how I understood that not knowing what people with guns were doing could be downright terrifying to a police officer, and I wanted to make it clear that we mean no offense or harm to police or anyone else. He seemed to agree and understand.

I think it's important to stress that we both totally agreed that we don't want animosity between MOC and the OCSD. He said that any time that we have questions or concerns, to please call him. I would go so far as to say that in the future, if a local department in Oakland county detains or otherwise harasses an open carrier (or a group of them), that the Oakland County Sheriff's Department should be called to help resolve the problem.

This promises to have some what of a ripple effect of police in Oakland County talking to each other in the coming weeks and months, causing it to be all the less likely that we'll be detained needlessly in this area.

One last important thing to mention is that he told me that it wasn't an off duty Troy officer that called, rather it was a Boston Market employee. I believe this is significant, because it is the first time I can recall having a non government worker call the cops on someone in Michigan for open carrying.

A conclusion that some will doubtlessly come to, and perhaps accurately, is that they are being apologetic because some of the things they did were clearly actionable. Whether this is the case or not is immaterial, as long as the result we seem to have reached has been reached.

I, for one, am very appreciative of the steps that Sheriff Bouchard has promised to make.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

For anyone lurking who missed it, there is a summary of what happened on this page of the thread about the Boston Market meeting: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/23273-7.html

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    He said that this incident is being used to create a training procedure that will be instituted through the entire department. This will include when you can demand ID/CPL, as well as the other obvious things that will need to be taught.
    Michigander, thanks for your follow up. If you wish, rather than be left wondering about any change to their procedures, you could probably FOIA all written, audio, or other record of training and procedures related to handling citizens open carrying firearms or related to requests or demands for identification. You probably know that, just putting that out there for anyone else who might be curious if changes in their department are actually occurring.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Come to think of it, the FOIA request and complaint we sent in already asks for information about what steps are taken. We'll be getting that information, and it was already specified that it will be made public, minus the personal information of any officers.

Post imported post

This is great news to hear, Michigander. It goes to show that with patience and detailed documentation, one can make a impact. Kudos to Sheriff Bouchard for giving you the time to hear your end of the story and to implement the incident for training purposes. You made a difference indeed. Fantastic!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    One last important thing to mention is that he told me that it wasn't an off duty Troy officer that called, rather it was a Boston Market employee. I believe this is significant, because it is the first time I can recall having a non government worker call the cops on someone in Michigan for open carrying.
    Not the first. I had a guy call 911 on me in Target awhile back. ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...344963#p344963 )

Post imported post

This is good, VERY good!!!

Post imported post

Bravo Zulu

Post imported post

Nice job. I hope he follows through. I voted for him this time and I will remember his supportcome next election.