• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport News Park

22crew

imported post

Well soon the family and i are going to go camping at Newport News Park. Is it legal to have my G19 in the park, CC or OC? I just don't feel to safe staying in a tent with my three kids and a wife without some sort of protection....besides a ax or my pocketknife. Thank you.

22crew

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

22crew wrote:
Well soon the family and i are going to go camping at Newport News Park. Is it legal to have my G19 in the park, CC or OC? I just don't feel to safe staying in a tent with my three kids and a wife without some sort of protection....besides a ax or my pocketknife. Thank you.

22crew
Yes, OC and CC is legal.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Are you sure you want to go to Newport News Park? I stayed there overnight last month for Boy Scouting Adult Leadership training. It was chilly, but I was well-prepared for that.

I was NOT prepared tro listen to the hourly passage of freight trains blowing their whistles all night. Did you happen to notice the Fire/Rescue Station on Jefferson near the park entrance? Its nice to have an EMS presence so close to the park, right? Theyget quite alot of business between the hours of midnight and 6 am on weekends.

We were in the campsites farthest frommajor roads and railroad tracks. (Jefferson and Ft. Eustis Blvd) and were still blessed with the sounds associatedwith a busy coal-loading seaport operating 24/7/365and a major metropolitan area whose inhabitants regularly make use of their Emergency Medical System late at night on weekends.

Bring ear protection and wear it like you were at the range if you want any sleep.

22crew

imported post

Well that sucks MSC. Thanks for giving me a heads up though. I want to go somewhere close for the first time. I think i'll go out there and check it out before hand.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

If you're military, there are some nice camping spots at Cheatham Annex, between the Yorktown Naval Weapons Station and the CIA compound at Campe Peary. There are also nice camping places at Seashore State Park in Va Beach (I think they call it First Landing Park now) and down at the other end of Va Beach is a KOA campground and a couple others not far from Dam Neck.

There are also camp grounds around Williamsburg, too. Send me a PM if you want to get into this further as I am dragging the discussion away from the intended weapons topic...

Mike

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
There are also nice camping places at Seashore State Park in Va Beach (I think they call it First Landing Park now)
Yes, it's called First Landing now. I stayed there last weekend (05/01- 05/03) First Landing is a State Park and you can not OC in a State Park, but CC is OK in State Parks. :)

ravonaf

imported post

We stayed at Newport News Park for a weekend last August. I agree it was a bit loud but other than that we loved the park. That time of year it was mostly empty.

I have to admit the firearms and parks confuse the hell out of me. Let me see if I can get this straight.

Private Parks it's up to the owners.
City/County parks CC and OC are ok?
State Parks you can only CC?
Federal Parks it has to be locked in a case and unloaded?

MSC 45ACP

imported post

ravonaf wrote:

Private Parks it's up to the owners.
City/County parks CC and OC are ok?
State Parks you can only CC?
Federal Parks it has to be locked in a case and unloaded?

That seems to about sum it up, but I am NOT a lawyer (IANAL) and I'm still learning the rules about OC. The National Park Situation has been addressed and is up in the air right now. There are several threads on the battle on here and on other web sites. They are really trying to get the National Parks to parallel the laws in the state in which they are located.