• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That wasn't so hard!

JohnK87

imported post

I've had a Minnesota PTC for about three months now. During winter, even with an OWB holster for my Stoeger Cougar it was easy to at least partially conceal.

But, in warm weather it's different. I got a new carry gun (M&P 40c) that I have the OWB holster for but have not gotten my Supertuck yet. I figured I'd try OC for the afternoon. I took my 5 yr old boy fishing at the dock first. There were a couple old guys there, no one noticed or said anything. They were talking lib politics ("it will take 20 years to undo Bush...") before discussing how the moon landing was all just a Hollywood production :banghead: so we didn't talk.

Then off to the skateboard park for an hour, then Menards. Looked around the garden center, ordered some railroad ties, paid, picked them up. The whole day, no one said anything or even looked like they noticed. I guess they figured a 6'2", 300 lb guy with a grey flattop and a 5 yr old in tow wasn't going to mess with them :D

I was going to keep going for dinner, but when I picked the wife up she was mortified that someone would freak out at Taco John's so in the interest of domestic peace I untucked the T-shirt and concealed it the rest of the day.

I do like the M&P 40c- 10+1 and about 2/3 the size and weight of my Cougar. Very easy to forget you even have it. :celebrate

JohnK87

imported post

Whoops, I did it again. Panera bread, car dealer, shooting range (put a couple hundred through, mostly practicing acquisitions, double taps and the Mozambique drill). Then OC'd through Kohls, Sam's Club, Menards, Walmart. No one cared.

JohnK87

imported post

We discussed this again on the way to a meeting with my son's future principal today. She is worried that someone will freak out, call MWOG 911, and I'll end up thrown down and handcuffed in front of our 5 yr old son. God forbid they take me to jail and she has to come get him from the station! So, she doesn't want me to open carry unless I'm alone or she is with. I can live with that, even if I'm doing nothing wrong. I wear long T-shirts or dress shirts I can always pull out and hang over the holster to go concealed.

I've just been surprised at the COMPLETE lack of noticing or interest. I guess I must look like a cop or something.

BTW- thanks for your service, from a former NAVYLT (83-92).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OC and the forums.

Yes it is unusual how folks don't seem to be alarmed by the sight of openly carried firearms, even though we are told of how it is suppose to potentially cause mass hysteria and panic. :what:

But hey, isn't that the way we want it to be?

marine77

imported post

Welcome to OC Johnk, i've been doing it since i got my card in Jan. There are a lot

of people who don't seem to notice, but you do get some second glances and the

deer in the headlight:what:looks a lot. But it makes it worthwhile some,

when a person asks you what your carrying and then start talking about different

guns, reloading, etc.

NightOwl

imported post

JohnK87 wrote:
I've just been surprised at the COMPLETE lack of noticing or interest. I guess I must look like a cop or something.

Glad to hear your experience went so well, but this might not be accurate. I certainly don't look like a cop when I OC, and generally nobody even raises an eyebrow at me. Heck, there's some people on these forums who look about as uncoplike (like my new word?) as is possible, judging from what they've said, and they don't get anybody reacting either. Most folks just don't get worked up about it even if they do notice.

Though, in regards to Taco John's, I seem to recall something about them having a no-weapons policy and that they ask people to leave, so your wife might have been correct in that regard. Perhaps I'm confusing them with a different establishment, but I don't think so.