• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington Cease Fire dilemma

Solar

imported post

I decided to browse their site (know thy enemy) and saw that they had a facebook page. Once I got there I had a total shock. They have a feature where people can 'become fans' of their organization and a little window that shows 6 of perhaps 50 or so fans of their site (fans include none other than Greg Nickels). By chance, I noticed the avatar of one of my Facebook friends, someone whom I attended High school and played rugby with. I had to sit and think about this for awhile, then wrote to him, expressing my sadness regarding his affiliation. If he were merely a random person from the past it would be one thing, but we have so many common friends, this might become an issue. I am an adamant supporter of our rights, and am very vocal to any person that supports or represents any organization that I oppose. Has anyone else had an incident like this? Any suggestions?

heresolong

imported post

Solar wrote:
I decided to browse their site (know thy enemy) and saw that they had a facebook page. Once I got there I had a total shock. They have a feature where people can 'become fans' of their organization and a little window that shows 6 of perhaps 50 or so fans of their site (fans include none other than Greg Nickels). By chance, I noticed the avatar of one of my Facebook friends, someone whom I attended High school and played rugby with. I had to sit and think about this for awhile, then wrote to him, expressing my sadness regarding his affiliation. If he were merely a random person from the past it would be one thing, but we have so many common friends, this might become an issue. I am an adamant supporter of our rights, and am very vocal to any person that supports or represents any organization that I oppose. Has anyone else had an incident like this? Any suggestions?
Join a bunch of pro-2nd Amendment facebook groups. Every time you do it will pop up in the notifications and people will see it. Other than that, I wouldn't be too in-your-face about it. He has the opportunity now to have a civil debate with you and hopefully you can use that to advantage if he engages.

Solar

imported post

He responded with some of the same old arguments like the 2nd amendment has no place in the 21st century and that he sees no reason for anyone to carry a gun. He wants to agree to disagree. That would be fine with me regarding a friends opinion, however since he is actively giving his support to anti-gun groups and people like Greg Nickels I have decided to voice my opinion and counter arguments. Not that I will get anywhere... but I refuse to just do nothing.

Good idea though about joining those other groups. Thanks

heresolong

imported post

Solar wrote:
He responded with some of the same old arguments like the 2nd amendment has no place in the 21st century
Ask him why haven't they proposed a Constitutional Amendment to repeal the Second? If the debate is going to continue.

Tawnos

imported post

Solar wrote:
He responded with some of the same old arguments like the 2nd amendment has no place in the 21st century and that he sees no reason for anyone to carry a gun. He wants to agree to disagree. That would be fine with me regarding a friends opinion, however since he is actively giving his support to anti-gun groups and people like Greg Nickels I have decided to voice my opinion and counter arguments. Not that I will get anywhere... but I refuse to just do nothing.

Good idea though about joining those other groups. Thanks
Mass printing and distribution of free thoughts using adhesives has no place in the 21st century, and I see no reason for anyone to put a bumper sticker on their car expressing political or religious opinion. Fortunately for a lot of idiots out there with ugly bumper stickers, the Constitution disagrees with what I think there is a reason for. Just because I think a bumper sticker is tacky (it is, after all, a sticker ;) ) does not mean that I should be able to limit your freedom of expression through their use.