• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT of OC, Run in with small minded city cop tonight

triehl27

imported post

Tonight I went up to my cabin, north of seattle, when I got there I turned the dogs loose as I always do, as everyone else living there does and has done for 30 years to do they're thing. After 45 mins or so later as I was videoing the sunset, and incoming storm, accross the water, I hear screaming from the parking lot area. SO I go check. Some Asian woman is running towards the bathrooms screaming that the black dog is trying to kill her. Katie the dog is lopeing the opposite direction 300yds away from her and couldn't care less about the woman. Woman runs into the restroom as i whistle up the dogs an put them away.

I then went back the the womans rest room and assured the woman that the dogs were friendly and now they were put away. She screams at me she wasn't hurt that the dog just ran in front of her accross the the parking lot from her (50+yds away) but that she is calling the police about my attack dogs. And then I hear her on the ophone with 911. Ok so I head back to the cabin to wait.

Over the next 20 mins I observe the woman out the window, poke her head out of the restroom, and wander in the parking lot a bit before going back into the restroom several times. After the 20mins a city cop car shows up lights a blaze and a 60yr old cop gets out, the woman rants about some guy siccing his dogs on her, and points towards the cabin... Crap here we go, so I put the dogs in the back bed room and go out to stand on the porch to meet the cop. The cop drives the 100 ft from the rest room to the driveway and then procedes on foot into the driveway. Here is the conversation:

mind you this was all caught on video for properity,

Cop (C): YOU! YOU THERE BOY!
me(m): yes, canI help you? i'm...
C: FREEZE... STAY WHERE YOU ARE... DON'T MOVE A MUSCLE... SPEAK ONLY WHEN SPOKEN TOO, BOY! SHOW ME YOUR HANDS

m: I am showing you my hands... they're out to my sides... my name is....

C: I SAID FREEZE! I SAID SHUT UP, I SAID SHOW ME YOUR HANDS

m: ok, you want me to freeze or move to a better place to show you my hands? (mind you they are in view straight out to my sides palms out and open at this point with the cop's flashlight covering me and him yelling everything)

C: I SAID FREEZE! I SAID SPEAK ONLY WHEN SPOKEN TOO, I SAID SHOW ME YOUR HANDS, i SAID DON'T MOVE, I SAID STAY WHERE YOU ARE!

me: I haven't moved at all. (About now i'm getting pissed, this is stupid, i am being held at flashlight point 10' away from the cop while standing on my porch )

C: OK SONNY BOY WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP THERE?

me: standing here

C: THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT, I MEANT WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

me: standing here

C: WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE THE HARBORMASTER'S OFFICE? (The Port rents the cabin during the week for an office)

m: s. t. a. n. d. i. n. g. h. e. r. e.

C: HOW'D YOU GET THAT DOOR OPEN!

m: I used my key.

C: WHERE'D YOU GET THE KEY?

m: from my key ring, see it has the key to my truck on it too.

C: EXACTLY HOW'D YOU GET IN THAT DOOR?

m: Well I drove in the driveway, and I put the truck in park, and applied the parking
brake, then I got out of the truck and took the key to the door, i inserted the key in the door and then i turn the knob and pushed, and the door opened so I went in to the house.

C: WHERE'D YOU GET THE KEY?

m: It's mine

C: WHY DO YOU SAY THAT IT'S YOURS?

m: well you see I own this house... the PORT rents space from us.

C: WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THERE TONIGHT?

m: well i was having a nice quiet night watching the sunset and TV til 10 mins ago
when you pulled up and we started playing 20 questions about why I am at my own home, standing on my own porch, so here I am standing here with my hands in the air and a flashlight in my face. Is there something I can help you with specifically? Otherwise my popcorn is getting cold.

C: A WOMAN WAS ATTACKED, I'M LOOKING FOR SOME DOGS

m: oh there are dogs all over the place, some over at the Inn down there past the
launch, some over at the neighbor's house, some at the B&B down there, heck i bet there are some on the boats in the marina, any particular dog?

C: BIG DOGS

m: define big

C: YOU GOT DOGS?

m: yep

C: WHAT KIND?

m: wirefox terrier about 15lbs

C: mind if i look inside?

m: yep i do

C: YOU GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE?

m: nope, ...you got articuable, reasonable suspicion, probable cause, or a warrent?
nope?

C: GUESS YOU DON'T GET IT SONNY BOY, I'M A COP THE COP IN THIS TOWN,

M: without probable cause or a warrent, Guess you don't come in.

C: THOSE ARE THE PORT OFFICES, THEREFORE UNDER CITY OFFICES, THEREFORE I DON'T NEED A WARRENT!

m: 3 points of fact, they are not city offices of XXX, they are IN fact Port offices of XXX, and technically fall under XXX County Sheriffs, since the city denies this property is part of the city, so Secondly you are about 75' outside of the city limits, and Thirdly they are only recognized as the port offices of the harbor master, Monday through Friday 10am - 4pm, otherwise it's my cabin.

C: GOT ANY OTHER REASON I SHOULDN'T COME IN THERE AND LOOK AROUND?

m: Yeah you're rude and loud and this whole thing is on video, cause you inturrupted my videoing the sunset and storm rolling in.

C: oh, oh ok, (turns and walks away and leaves)

Yep that was a fun 15mins. Mind you everything that is capitalized was YELLED. from 10' away.

He never asked me for id, never let me introduce myself, or speak other then when spoken too.

This cop figured he had just caught some kid breaking into the harbor master's office and was gonna scare the snot outta the kid. Mind you I am 30, but look young in the right light. And this cabin has been in the family for 35 years.

I really figured after I had gotten pissed, i was talking my self into jail, but what is he gonna tell the judge? HYPOTHETICALLY:
COP: *Ah I caught this kid, going into his own home using his own key, so i yelled at him for 15 minutes your honor, before I arrested him.*
*Judge:*you have anything to say son?*
*ME: *Yeah, you wanna see the video? When it's over could we just skip jail time for me, and whistle up the firing squad?*

He had no probable cause as he had told me he was looking for BIG DOGS, and I told him that i had a wire fox terrier, about 15lbs, gonna be kinda hard to argue PC with that discrepency

I tried to do everything right, calm, introduce myself, polite, until it just got ridiculous.

I'd complain to the chief of police... but that was the chief it turns out. I will be putting a call into the mayor tomorrow. For privacy issues i did not post up specific location details.

Tomb Raider

imported post

I think you handled that well, And some say we have tude with a gun :banghead:. Did he have a round loaded or was it in hispocket :?.So this lady from the other side, she has a place there or a boat to ? Seen her before ?

Nitrox314

imported post

If you need some basic digital editing done let me know.I have Sony Vegas Studio. I am no expert, but I can bleep out words and probably cover up faces if neccessary.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

You have to love it when you can waste 15 min. of some turds life. Now he has no story of excitement to tell his little friends at the bait shop and you have the pleasure of RIGHTFULLY sending him on his way.

Nice Job

amlevin

imported post

Did the officer look anything like this?
spaceball.gif

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020yK2gBKInsBRIOjzbkF/SIG=126v1055l/EXP=1241656330/**http%3A//www.flickr.com/photos/hillyblue/1071368721/

codename_47

imported post

I love the "only speak when spoken to..." bit. I think I might have started singing "its a small world after all non stop at that point. I do like the standing here part, but the whole "boy" thing would have probably ticked me off.

triehl27

imported post

I probablly will put the video up at some point, BUT I am dealing with a complaint to the city coucil and Mayor about this. So far the cop's report varies greatly from what happened. So greatly indeed that the Mayor suggested it be put before review by the city council. That should get a laugh, having your whole city council watch as you make an ass of yourself.

Once this is cleared up and behind , and I post up the video, be patient.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

:what:WTF

ha ha ha, sorry not laughing at you, im laughing at all the people who say we shouldnt judge the cops when they act like this becasue we dont know the whole story, since you have video :celebrate