• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question

wheelerXD

imported post

Hey ya'll,
I was wondering if anyone has used the online chp course in Prince William county? Did they accept? The reason I'm asking is cause wife is planning on goin down to North Carolina and possibly South Carolina and I'd prefer if she was able to carry for I won't be able to go with her due to work. Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Sorry if this was asked else where. I looked through the older threads that I found involving the online course and didn't see anything.

Semper Fi

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gotsig try a search within this forum and you may have some luck. It seems to me that PWC is one of the counties that has resisted the useage of the online course, but I can't say for sure.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
PWC accepts.. I know people that have taken it there.. and a law was passed.. all of Virginia has to accept it by law... make them follow it!

That's cool, thanks for the info Ed. My wife has been wanting to take it, but it's hard for her to find the time. A online course would really help.

I'm off to Google it now.....lol:lol:

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Argus Eyed wrote:
ed wrote:
PWC accepts.. I know people that have taken it there.. and a law was passed.. all of Virginia has to accept it by law... make them follow it!

That's cool, thanks for the info Ed. My wife has been wanting to take it, but it's hard for her to find the time. A online course would really help.

I'm off to Google it now.....lol:lol:
Here is a link to the online course;
http://www.concealed-carry.net/HIL23501

My wife took it takes about an hour.

wheelerXD

imported post

The wife just finished taking it a few hours ago and passed. But boy was that video hell to watch. the safety rules were weird- keep your finger off the trigger till you are going to fire(ok thats one thats i always have heard and used) #2 keep your weapons pointed in a safe direction( round about way of one that i use and hear at every range, but down is only a safe direction in the woods he kinda makes it sound like) #3 keep your weapon unloaded until you intend to use it( which I have never heard).

He also seemed pretty anti OC implying almost that if you OC you will either have the cops called on you or get kicked out of wherever you are patronizing. Then he goes to say that you have to OC in a ABC on site restraunt or leave it behind.

But anyways the wife went to the court in Manassas to turn in her application. Which was $50 and no fingerprints or SSN which when I did mine back when we first got to VA in 07 they made me give my SSN and fingerprints but i didn't know better. So now hopefully she gets in time for her trip.

Semper Fi

TexasNative

imported post

Those are the three safety rules (as opposed to the four rules many of us are used to) as taught in NRA courses.

wheelerXD

imported post

Oh ok. I was just curious about that since in every class I have had and then well in the military the only of those that I have heard was keeping your finger straight and off the trigger which is well common sense then in a round about way the keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction.

Semper Fi

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gotsig wrote:
He also seemed pretty anti OC implying almost that if you OC you will either have the cops called on you or get kicked out of wherever you are patronizing. Then he goes to say that you have to OC in a ABC on site restraunt or leave it behind.
True. And I've never been kicked out of anywhere, though some others have.

bdodds

imported post

he probably made it sound like 'down was only safe in the woods' because at a range, especially indoors, down is usually where concrete and other hard, ricochet-prone surfaces are.. the only truly safe direction is downrange.. outside the ground is probably safer, as there is no known good downrange, there could always be other hunters or people beyond where you can easily see..

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
ed wrote:
It is my understanding that it will be a law as of July 1, 2009.
Details, Details..

Many people on other posts have gone to www.VirginiaCHPtraining.com and never had a problem. I have only heard of two cases that had an issue (in Charlottesville) and had they even pushed back a little I am sure it would have been resolved. Now July 1st is "almost" 45 days away. So if they decline you because of that.. you walk in July 1st and say HAND OVER MY PERMIT or talk to my attorney.

wheelerXD

imported post

I understand what he was sayingit's just how he worded it, he made it sound like it's unsafe to carry a pistol in a holster( sorry I nit pick things sometimes to much or think about them more in depth then what they were getting at I guess word be what I'm getting at). but hey it was better then having to go find a class a work around our schedule to get my wife in it so she can get her permit, and I already know she can she shoot for only shooting her xd40 a couple times she can damn near outshoot me with it.

Semper Fi

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When I got home last night, I told my wife that she can take the CHP class online. But to my suprise :shock:shedoesn't think taking a CHP class online is a good idea. She said that if someone wants to CC they should at least go to the class in person and show that you have the knowledge (she knows you have to take a test online) and to demonstrate your ability on the shooting range. I guess she will just have to find the time and go in person and take the class.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Whether you take the class online, or at a gun show there is no range time. While I agree someone with no shooting experience needs to have range time training, an experienced shooter should be able to take the class without range time. I also believe CHP holders need to have regular practice at the range.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No range time? Maybe it's different now. When I got my CHP about 5 or 6 years ago. I had to shoot (If I remember correctly) 25 rounds at the end of the course. I do agree thatCHP holders need to have regular practice at the range.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

There isno requirement for range time to get a CHP in VA. Although I personally believe everyone who has a CHP should have shooting experience and practice regularly.

leprechaun117

imported post

ed wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
ed wrote:
PWC accepts.. I know people that have taken it there..  and a law was passed.. all of Virginia has to accept it by law... make them follow it!
It is my understanding that it will be a law as of July 1, 2009.
Details, Details..

Many people on other posts have gone to www.VirginiaCHPtraining.com and never had a problem.  I have only heard of two cases that had an issue (in Charlottesville) and had they even pushed back a little I am sure it would have been resolved. Now July 1st is "almost" 45 days away. So if they decline you because of that.. you walk in July 1st and say HAND OVER MY PERMIT or talk to my attorney.

Law vs. not law isn't exactly "details." My buddy "pushed back" as hard as was possible without paying for a lawyer. Even the VCDL told him to just wait till July 1st. Charlottesville has no problem with the online class, Albemarle County does.

AJG

imported post

Wow.... $39.99 to take th online course (in approximately 1 hour) without firing a shot, or pay approximately $50 and take a course from a NRA certified instructor that includes a bit of range time. Hmmmm which to pick? I really can't believe that the state approved a course that doesnt even have any requirement for the student to "show proficiency" instead they have a here ya go attitude. I cant wait to read in the paper the first time one of these "Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class" graduates from The Concealed Carry Instituteshow up in court for a firearm related incident and blame the state cause they didnt need to show proficiency. ugggggggggggggg

Alex G

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/Range Safety Officer