• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Protection Ammo

malignity

imported post

I've been contemplating switching my ammo for personal protection in my .40 S&W. Right now, I carry standard Winchester JHP's, which I imagine would do the trick, but after googling different pictures of other personal protection ammo, I realize that there are a lot of other ammunition's out there that have a bigger bore and probably have more stopping power. I started doing research, and I've got a tossup between multiple ammunitions.

Right now, I've considered the following:

Federal HST
Winchester Rangers
Cor Bon DPX
Speer Gold Dot
Federal EFMJ

Any preferences? Why or why not?

DocV

imported post

Make sure that the round you choose feeds and cycle reliably and that point of aim is the same as point of impact. There can be variations between loads and manufacturers.

Dahwg

imported post

Federal HST is what I've gone with. In every test I've seen it always expands the exact same way- consistently. It outperformas all other ammo hands down. Downside is that many stores won't sell it because it's labeled LE only. I've got a small stockpile so I know you CAN get it. This is what every single HST I've ever seen looks like when it's been recovered. Jacket-Core separation is almost unheard of.

[align=center]
a7698140ce325d46aea925c2d4c6a3e6_small.jpg
[/align]

[align=left]Here's a good article on wound ballistics. [/align]
[align=left]http://le.atk.com/pdf/Ft_CollinsPoliceDpmt.pdf[/align]
[align=left][/align]

smash29

imported post

Vote #2 for Gold Dot here.. Most every LE department I read about when I was trying to make my decision carried Gold Dots, Rangers, or HSTs so, all things being equal, I went with the GDs because they werethe easiest (and cheapest) to find.

Dustin

imported post

Forget about Ranger Ammo, its LE only so screw them.

Federal Hydra-Shok
20 rounds
COST = $21.00 to $24.00
Ballistics//
Muzzle Velocity - 1140 fps
Muzzle Energy in ft lbs - 447

Speer Gold Dot
20 rounds
COST = $21.00 to $24.00
Ballistics//
Muzzle Velocity - 1200 fps
Muzzle Energy in ft lbs - 496

Not a whole lot of difference, but enough to lead me to choose Speer Gold Dot. Plus I found the Federal ammo higher, and harder to find.

Dustin

Marco

imported post

Many loads exceed the 1200fps with no over penetration issues.

There are many loads that are subsonic that penetrate further.

Personal preference.

Dustin

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Many loads exceed the 1200fps with no over penetration issues.

There are many loads that are subsonic that penetrate further.

Personal preference.

Yea like 9mm rounds right ?

Which is why LE Departments have just about all switched over to .40 and up.

Marco

imported post

Dustin wrote:

No one is discussing 9mm except you.

The OP carries a .40, the link I provide was for .40.
Okay we get it you don't like 9mm especially+p or +p+.

Air Marshals carry glorified 9mm's, they don't seem too concerned with over penetration.
Ill. State police have been using 9mm+P+ ammo for yrs and are happy with it and they carry Glocks:)shock:).

Dustin

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Dustin wrote:

No one is discussing 9mm except you.

The OP carries a .40, the link I provide was for .40.
Okay we get it you don't like 9mm especially+p or +p+.

Air Marshals carry glorified 9mm's, they don't seem too concerned with over penetration.
Ill. State police have been using 9mm+P+ ammo for yrs and are happy with it and they carry Glocks:)shock:).
Slow down and read a little.
I said there's no sense in having a round go any faster than 1200. Otherwise you'd run the risk of over penetration LIKE 9mm's have. Which is exactly WHY LE departments ACROSS the nation DO NOT ALLOW 9mm's. So NO they are NOT happy with 9mm, which is why they are switching to begin with.

This all revolves around the speed of the bullet, which is completely relevant to the topic at hand. It has nothing to do with my personal feeling towards 9mm. I could careless. I'm using the 9mm’s over penetration speed, in comparison as to why he SHOULD NOT worry about having a round faster than 1200.

I've got lot's of LE in the family, from across Louisiana. They all have said that their departments have all made the switch to .40S&W or higher b/c of the dangers of over penetration, and for better knockdown power. Proving again, that speed is not what is needed, nor should it be desired.

Marco

imported post

Many LEO agencies still issue 9mm's.
NYPD, LVMPD Ill. State Policejust to name a few.
What is the .357Sig if not a glorified 9mm going real fast, it is issued to Air Marshals.
Many agenciies that don't issue 9mm still allow officers to carry it on and off duty.

I have no issues with .40 @ speeds >1200 fps depending on bullet design as with any other caliber.

When you compare the top (pistol) loads on this chart most are close or exceed 1200fps.
http://www.handloads.org/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0

Again personal perferrence, risk vs benefit.

malignity

imported post

Dustin wrote:

Are you sure about this? I know it USED to say this on the box, but so did Federal HST's, and I've seen places where you can buy both Federal HST's, as well as Rangers. I guess I need some clarification on this, because I was actually leaning toward Rangers until I read this.

headhunter09

imported post

So i just thought i would give my $0.02 on personal defense rounds, i have the magsafe rounds and sorry for no link but they are a lighter round then the standard hollow point and they reduce recoil by 20% i think as well as they have 6 little bb's in the bullet tip, they dont over penetrait and dont richochet, they say something along the lines of 64+ grain. Over all they are a awesome round for self defense, i use them in my glock 17 and my taurus pt 1911 45. acp. They run about $20 bucks for 8 rounds.Again im sorry for the lack of a link.

malignity

imported post

I've seen those before, and almost considered them until I saw the price/ratio of ammo. Unfortunately, my magazine carries 14, and I have 2 mags, so I'd easily be spending close to $100 for them, where I can get a box of 50 Federal HSTs for around $37'ish. :/

Dustin

imported post

malignity wrote:
Dustin wrote:

Are you sure about this? I know it USED to say this on the box, but so did Federal HST's, and I've seen places where you can buy both Federal HST's, as well as Rangers. I guess I need some clarification on this, because I was actually leaning toward Rangers until I read this.

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/
Ranger® Law Enforcement

At Winchester Ammunition, we're committed to designing, developing and manufacturing the finest handgun, rifle and shotshell ammunition in the world. We are extremely proud of the products we offer.
The Winchester Ranger line of ammunition is available only to law enforcement agencies and is not available to the general public.

Check out there Logo. It's for COPS and it reads:

_li_01.gif

7.gif

I will not support them with my money $$$ eitherway.