• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interstate sale

Chaingun81

imported post

I am thinking of buying a gun from my co-worker who is a MD resident while I'm a VA resident. I thouhgt that since we are residents of different states, we cannot have a private transaction and have to go to an FFL to do the transfer, but he assures me that it only applies to handguns, while what he issellingis an SKS rifle. I want to make absolutely sure that the sale would be 100% legal - can anyone advice me on this?

As a side note - what is the price range SKSs go for? He owned his for probably about 10 years but barely shot it.

Thanks!

bdodds

imported post

Negative, you need to do it through an FFL if it's interstate in any way, rifles or handguns.. sorry..

edit: point of clarification, on a long gun transfer only the receiving end needs to be an FFL, but the sender needs to check state regs on their end to see what forms need to be filled out, that can vary..

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks! I won't buy it from him then. I'll just have my local FFL order it for me and do a full transfer with a background check and everything and avoid the private sale alltogether...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I seem to remember something about sales in contiguous states. I'll see if I can find it.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
I seem to remember something about sales in contiguous states. I'll see if I can find it.
How Can I Buy a Gun From Another State?
[font=Arial,Helvetica]This is looking at the flip side of the previous question:[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1](B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]source if he arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in his own State?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]firearms may order a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]from the dealer.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1][18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29][/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Again, only one dealer is needed. Also note that you don't have to have the dealer "buy" the firearm for you, you can make all the financial and sales arraignments yourself, tell the seller who will be handling the transfer for you. Only the transfer must be performed by the FFL holder.[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]On the same subject, an (apparently?) little known fact. "I'm in another state of which I'm not a resident -- I can't buy a gun, can I?" Yes you can:[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1](B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]GCA?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1][18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29][/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]So, you can buy a shotgun or rifle in any state, it just has to be in person (and legal in that state and yours).[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-2](Did you know an individual can buy a shotgun at a gun show in another state, but a licensed dealer cannot[/size][/font]

zoom6zoom

imported post

SKS value will vary a bit depending on the model, and if it's been "modified" with aftermarket crap. Origin will also make a difference... a Russian or Albanian will go for more than a Yugo, for example.

A few pics to help you ID it:
SKSgroup.jpg

From top - Yugoslavian 59/66, Romanian Model 56, Egyptian Rashid

RussianSKSright.jpg

Russian

albaniansksR.jpg

Albanian (rare)

NorinicoSKS3.jpg

Norinco (Chinese)

Yeah, I like SKS's.

KBCraig

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1](B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]GCA?[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-1]A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]So, you can buy a shotgun or rifle in any state, it just has to be in person (and legal in that state and yours).[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica][size=-2](Did you know an individual can buy a shotgun at a gun show in another state, but a licensed dealer cannot[/size][/font]
Just to make clear: you can buy it from a licensee (FFL).

Chaingun81

imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
SKS value will vary a bit depending on the model, and if it's been "modified" with aftermarket crap. Origin will also make a difference... a Russian or Albanian will go for more than a Yugo, for example.

I found out that the one he was offering is Chinese. I don't trust the Chinese one(tell me if I'm wrong), so I was hoping for a Russian or at least a Yugo. Another reason not to buy from him and just go straight to the dealer.

By the way, what are the price ranges for each type you mentioned?

bdodds

imported post

Again to clarify, you don't have to buy from a dealer, you have the other party mail the gun to a dealer near you, and you pick it up at the dealer.. they'll charge you a nominal fee ($20-30 usually) for a transfer and do a background check on you.. then away you wisk..

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I bought a Chinese SKS for $70 around 1993. I gave it to my little brother as a gift. He has put several thousand rounds through it since then. No problems, ever! Its very reliable and a great plinker!

I recently bought a Romanian WASR (thier version of the AK-47). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Anyone know anything about them concerning reliability and accuracy?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I bought a Chinese SKS from the Roses store in Grafton (Washington Square).

I believe it was $99.95.

I quit going in there when they quit selling guns & ammo. I'm surprised it's still open.

wylde007

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I recently bought a Romanian WASR (thier version of the AK-47). I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Anyone know anything about them concerning reliability and accuracy?
Mine was decent OOTB.

mercutio545

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I bought a Chinese SKS for $70 around 1993. I gave it to my little brother as a gift. He has put several thousand rounds through it since then. No problems, ever! Its very reliable and a great plinker!

My WASR 10/63 has never let me down. I have a Polish underfolder that cost twice as much, but there is no difference when shooting them. No canted front sight, no mag wobble, it's all good.

n25511434_35837456_1598.jpg