• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need to know what Supreme Court case this came from

T Vance

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

"Anonymous Tip

In a 1990 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court confirmed that, through corroboration of its detail, an anonymous tip can be enough to give rise to the reasonable suspicion required for a stop.5 More recently though, the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 ruled that an anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person, even where descriptive detail regarding the subject has been corroborated. The Court declined to adopt the "firearms exception" to Terry's requirement of reasonable suspicion.6 Similarly, in another 2000 Supreme Court case, an anonymous tip with a physical description and location that a person had a gun was not enough for reasonable suspicion, absent anything else to arouse the officer's suspicion.7 In that case the Court ruled that it was irrelevant that the defendant fled when the officer got out of his car and ordered the defendant to approach him.8 The tipster need not deliver an ironclad case to the police to justify an investigatory stop; it suffices if a prudent law enforcement officer would reasonably conclude that the likelihood existed that criminal activities were afoot and that a particular suspect was probably engaged in them.9 "

What Supreme court cases were these?

T Vance

imported post

The reason I want to know is because if I am going to court over OCing (at minimal fighting the traffic ticket I recieved after the initial stop), and I reference this Supreme Court decision, they are probably going to ask me "what case are you refering to". If my reply is, "uhhhhhhhh....it is something I read online" then it won't be helping me any.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

T Vance wrote:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/13328.html

"Anonymous Tip

In a 1990 decision, the U.S. Supreme Court confirmed that, through corroboration of its detail, an anonymous tip can be enough to give rise to the reasonable suspicion required for a stop.5 More recently though, the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 ruled that an anonymous tip that a person is carrying a gun is not sufficient to justify a police officer's stop and frisk of that person, even where descriptive detail regarding the subject has been corroborated. The Court declined to adopt the "firearms exception" to Terry's requirement of reasonable suspicion.6 Similarly, in another 2000 Supreme Court case, an anonymous tip with a physical description and location that a person had a gun was not enough for reasonable suspicion, absent anything else to arouse the officer's suspicion.7 In that case the Court ruled that it was irrelevant that the defendant fled when the officer got out of his car and ordered the defendant to approach him.8 The tipster need not deliver an ironclad case to the police to justify an investigatory stop; it suffices if a prudent law enforcement officer would reasonably conclude that the likelihood existed that criminal activities were afoot and that a particular suspect was probably engaged in them.9 "

What Supreme court cases were these?

If you would have read on father in the article the references are at the bottom. I believe these two cases are the one's he refers to.

6 Florida v. J.L., 529 U.S. 266, 120 S. Ct. 1375, 146 L.Ed.2d 254 (2000).
7 Pennsylvania v. D.M., U.S. 120 S. Ct. 203, 146 L.Ed.2d 953 (2000).

Venator

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Venator wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
That's were I got it and it's posted on the info thread, if people would just take the time to read it, there is a ton of good info there. Hence the name of start here first info thread. You can lead a horse to water....
This could be helpful too:

http://www.laaw.com/seizure_chart.htm

Venator

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Venator wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
That's were I got it and it's posted on the info thread, if people would just take the time to read it, there is a ton of good info there. Hence the name of start here first info thread. You can lead a horse to water....
This could be helpful too:

http://www.laaw.com/seizure_chart.htm
Link posted on info thread, thanks.