• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stop & Shop doesn't want our business

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I heard from Porcupine 411 (listen here)that two open carriers were thrown out of the Stop & Shop in Manchester today. I called the store that most closely matched the description given and the manager confirmed that it was his store.

The address and phone number of the Stop & Shop that doesn't want our business is:

365 Lincoln St
Manchester, NH
(603) 623-3725

I don't know if it is all stop and shops or just this particular one. Time will tell.

If you live in the Manchester area, I would encourage you to call the above number, press zero, and ask to speak to a manager. Let him/her know that you heard about the fact that people open carrying were thrown out of the store on May 5th and that you do not patronize places that do not allow you to protect yourself and will shop at a place where, unlike the Lincoln Street Stop & Shop, you are welcome. You might also consider writing a letter to corporate.

This is a no brainer, but be polite. You don't have to be rude in order to be firm. No need to feed any stereotypes.

When I called the manager told me that "things have happened" and he doesn't feel comfortable with open weapons in the store. I thanked him and informed him I would be shopping elsewhere (I have shopped at that particular store only once, but will be sure to steer clear from now on).

I didn't feel like starting an argument so I didn't point out how dumb it was to think people who are honestly, openly carrying for self defense are anything but a positive for a store. If "things have happened," that's all the more reason to make sure you are armed when you go there - and a robber is not going to be carrying openly anyway.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Another update.

I called the corporate # and spoke to a nice customer service Rep. I explained to her that it was my understanding that two people had been thrown out of the Stop & Shop on Lincoln Street for open carrying. She was unclear as to what that meant: "does that mean that they are carrying them in their hands?" I explained that that would be brandishing, but open carrying simply meant carrying a pistol secured safely in a holster, but where it was visible, as opposed to concealed carrying where it is covered by a jacket or shirt. Open carry, I explained, was less regulated - no license required - and safer because criminals do not generally carry openly.

I further explained that I do not patronize stores that do not allow me to defend myself and therefore was concerned that I would no longer be able to patronize any Stop & Shops. I said I wanted to clarify whether this was only this particular store, or all Stop & Shops. She told me she would call me back after having spoken to the store manager and the legal department.

nh92d

imported post

I've lost count how many times i've OCed while in there shopping.Last time it was,was maybe 2 weeks ago.Not once has anyone said anything to me..

definatly post back as soonas you hear something from their corporarte office.may have to call and write myself..

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

You absolutely should call yourself. Point out that you're a regular customer and there have never been problems. Tell them you would like to continue shopping there if they will not kick you out (and no, not carrying is not an option...groceries aren't worth your life).

That's how I feel anyway.

nh92d

imported post

Just contacted the Corporate office and expressed how i felt about the two that were asked to leave while OCing.i was very polite in the words i used.will post back when/if i get a reply..

nh92d

imported post

nh92d wrote:
Just contacted the Corporate office and expressed how i felt about the two that were asked to leave while OCing.i was very polite in the words i used.will post back when/if i get a reply..

Haven't receivied any reply yet.would of called them (but i honestly don't like talking on the phone)

though,i did go there the other day and did some OC shopping without issues.there was even a M.P.O strolling around in the store.don't think he saw me (or if he did,he wasn't concerned).granted,i wasn't doing enough shopping to even fill cart halfway(didn't even have cart) 15-20 mins max..

still would of been nice to hear back from them..

doobie

imported post

This is starting to sound like a 'he said; she said' dealio. The S&S store doesn't have a policy against firearms open or concealed.

The manager saw a (Miller or was it Cooper?) Travis OC'ing (they are both pretty young looking), claims he didn't see Mike.

The time they are in there is their 'high theft' and 'high violence' period of the day which is why they tend to keep an officer there. The manager spoke to the officer he called for backup, and when backup got there they were asked the leave.

According to Mike, they were ALWAYS together, so it could be that the manager just saw the Travis pistol?

Who knows. I'll keep shopping the same amount of S&S (which is pretty much never) as it isn't convenient to get to, but if I'm near one and need something I'll go in.