• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Fredericksburg

Skelt11

imported post

Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the forum and I have been reading quite a bit and am starting to rethink my opinion on open carry. I have always been of the mindset that it would draw undo attention to you from those you don't want it from, not just regular citizens but the bad guys. I'm really impressed with what I have read here. Most notibly how accepted OC is. I would have never thought that. I do admit, I dont remember where I was but I did see a man OC once while I was CC. I did look at him quiet a bit. We made eye contact he smiled and nodded and that was it. Just stuck out to me and I was probably more aware of hime do to the fact that I was CC at the tme.

With that being said, I have a few questions.

- If I am carrying IWB holster, can I just pull the top of my shirt over the grip? I believe it has to be completely visible correct?

- I currently only own one OWB, a Milt Sparks 55Bn. Would that be acceptable or do you guys recommend some thing like a Serpa?

- Are there any military that have ran into senior members of their command? That is something I worry about. Even thought I'm a SNCO I could see a less informed (less willing to listen) senior member try to make life hard if they see me. Anyone have any experience with this?

So my last question is are there any OCers in the Fredericksburg or Massaponix (Sp?) that would like to get together for a OC dinner in the area? I think maybe OCing for the first time with some other OCers would kind of break me in, you know the whole group therapy thing.

Thanks for all that post on this site. I have learn a ton of new information and love it! Hopefully I'll take the leap and try my first open carry soon!

Xeni

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

I've never run into an issue with OC in Fredericksburg, PWC, or Stafford. You'll find that most people either won't see it, won't care, or assume that you know what your doing. And, this IS Virginia so that helps a lot, too.

In regards to your IWB question - that type of carry method is called Virginia Tuck. As long as you are not disguising the nature of the firearm - you are legal. IMHO, if you can see the grip and part of the slide, I think you are safe.

I personally use a Serpa. I like it and have recieved many compliments on it.

I don't have the issue you have but as a contractor I do work with other contractors, government civilians, and military members. They all know that I carry off base. And, I've never had someone give me anything but friendly conversation based on that.

If something is set up for the Fredericksburg, Stafford, Dumfries area - I'm in.

Happy carrying!

wheelerXD

imported post

The whole worry about higherups giving you grief for Ocing, I try to avoid the areas where I think mine would be but for the most part there'll all reasonable men that agree with the 2nd amendment. But then again we're grunts so guns are the cool thing I guess except for a few guys but hey they have office jobs working for the commands safety lady. I wouldn't imagine them giving you grief as long as your still conducting yourself professionaly like members of the military are suppose to due on/off duty which few actually do.

Semper Fi

Skelt11

imported post

Thanks guys and I'm sorry for the repost. I didn't see the other thread at the bottom of the page :banghead:

gotsig, sounds like you haven't had any issue. Unfortunately I'm a POG with a comfy office job also. I know a lot of the guys I work with live in my area but I have never personally ran into them though. My luck, the first time I OC they would all be having dinner right whenI walked in. Honeslty don't know if it would be a big deal or not.

Semper Fi

wheelerXD

imported post

I've ran into a few of my peers and as far as I know they never even noticed my sidearm the only time one did was at joe joes in dumfries he snuck up on me and then just called me a hillbilly for packin my hand cannon around like that. But most of the guys I talk with at work know I open carry since I usually talk about that when they are asking what all they need to do to carry when they first get here or asking about OC and I try to answer their questions as best as I can or I send them here. See now if you were Chair Force or Navy I might see your them having problems.

Semper Fi

DarkHorse

imported post

Skelt11 wrote:
Hi guys and gals. I'm new to the forum and I have been reading quite a bit and am starting to rethink my opinion on open carry. I have always been of the mindset that it would draw undo attention to you from those you don't want it from, not just regular citizens but the bad guys. I'm really impressed with what I have read here. Most notibly how accepted OC is. I would have never thought that. I do admit, I dont remember where I was but I did see a man OC once while I was CC. I did look at him quiet a bit. We made eye contact he smiled and nodded and that was it. Just stuck out to me and I was probably more aware of hime do to the fact that I was CC at the tme.

With that being said, I have a few questions.

- If I am carrying IWB holster, can I just pull the top of my shirt over the grip? I believe it has to be completely visible correct?

- I currently only own one OWB, a Milt Sparks 55Bn. Would that be acceptable or do you guys recommend some thing like a Serpa?

- Are there any military that have ran into senior members of their command? That is something I worry about. Even thought I'm a SNCO I could see a less informed (less willing to listen) senior member try to make life hard if they see me. Anyone have any experience with this?

So my last question is are there any OCers in the Fredericksburg or Massaponix (Sp?) that would like to get together for a OC dinner in the area? I think maybe OCing for the first time with some other OCers would kind of break me in, you know the whole group therapy thing.

Thanks for all that post on this site. I have learn a ton of new information and love it! Hopefully I'll take the leap and try my first open carry soon!

Seklt,

Welcome. I wouldn't mind an OC dinner here in Fredericksburg. I am really booked up the rest of this month though (the weekends that is). I OC in Fredericksburg/Massaponax often. No problems to report.

I have two serpa holsters and they work really well for me. PM me or come up with a timeline on an OC dinner and create a topic on it.

Again, welcome.

Argus Eyed

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forums, you'll find a lot of good information and people here. OC'ing with other people is a good way to start. That's what I did for my first time, it was at the Tea Partyat theVirginia Beach Town Center, with a few guys from this site. :)

Also, dress nice, be polite, act like your not even carrying, and never touch your handgun,and always be aware of the people around you.

Edit: The "Virginia Tuck" works well when you are CC'ing and go into a establishment that serves alcohol.

streetdoc

imported post

You are going to find that very few people even notice, and if they do, they won't comment about it. I do a lot of my shopping in and around Fredericksbug and have never had a problem OC'ing. Initially, my wife was against it because she was worried about what others would think, now it is more OK. Since she got her permit she CC but will occasionally OC as long as I am with her. As a retired Marine, I'll stand my ground and do whatever I legally can do. In my second career, my employer (local government) is very anti-firearm but most of the actual fire department employees are pro-gun. Do what you want just be able to rationally defend your position to the Senior SNCO's and Officers over you.

Bundabar

imported post

I OC all over the Massaponax and Fredericksburg area.

I think an OC Fredericksburg dinner is a great idea. Let me know the time and place and I'll be there.

MSC 45ACP

Town Center in Fredericksburg

Bridget and I went "road trippin' today and stopped at a mall near Fredericksburg just off I-95 on Rt 3 (I think).
I noticed the sign inside the doors at the mall. I looked for the usual "no guns" sign and was happy to see something a little different... It said something like "firearms carried IAW state and federal law". Would that possibly mean OCing was OK? I was wearing a lot of outer clothing and would have been weird looking to to the Virginia Tuck with all that on.

I don't know if the name is correct, but the mall had several different JC Penny's stores in it. I thought that odd, too.

Anyone know about this?

I'd love to hear about your experiences there.

Mike

TFred

Bridget and I went "road trippin' today and stopped at a mall near Fredericksburg just off I-95 on Rt 3 (I think).
I noticed the sign inside the doors at the mall. I looked for the usual "no guns" sign and was happy to see something a little different... It said something like "firearms carried IAW state and federal law". Would that possibly mean OCing was OK? I was wearing a lot of outer clothing and would have been weird looking to to the Virginia Tuck with all that on.

I don't know if the name is correct, but the mall had several different JC Penny's stores in it. I thought that odd, too.

Anyone know about this?

I'd love to hear about your experiences there.

Mike
Yep, it's "Spotsylvania Towne Centre"... an "upgrade" from "Spotsylvania Mall" after they spent a bunch of money on sprucing the place up.

They used to have the more standard "no weapons" type wording, but what it says now is meaningless, not an exact quote but essentially, "No weapons other than those authorized by state (and/or?) federal law..." I'm pretty sure on the bolded part.

What does that mean? Who knows. As we all know, Virginia law does not "authorize" very much of anything, so in the absence of it being "unauthorized", it is authorized. I'd be willing to bet that the author of the sign has no clue that this is the case in Virginia, and that it does not say what they really intend for it to say.

There have been reports that if they see it, they will ask you to leave. Haven't heard anything recently though.

I would CC there, but expect to be asked to leave if they see you OC.

TFred

Last edited:

TFred

OC'd today at the new Steak & Shake in Massaponax. No issues. Good burger, but a lot smaller than it looked in the picture on the menu.
You gotta get the double at a minimum, the triple if you are even moderately hungry. I've heard they are already looking at plans to enlarge the place... totally blown away by how successful it's been. Weekend nights, you can't walk in and get a seat until after 9. In a group, forgeddaboutit...

TFred

zoom6zoom

Yeah, it was the double. I tried stopping there a few weeks ago, stuck my head in the door, said, "forget this" and hit the road. I'd like to see one closer to Woodbridge! It's currently the only one in the state.
OC'd at the Wawa down the street from there today on my way back from Glen Allen, gas was still at 3.72.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Welcome to the forums, you'll find a lot of good information and people here. OC'ing with other people is a good way to start. That's what I did for my first time, it was at the Tea Partyat theVirginia Beach Town Center, with a few guys from this site. :)

Also, dress nice, be polite, act like your not even carrying, and never touch your handgun,and always be aware of the people around you.

Edit: The "Virginia Tuck" works well when you are CC'ing and go into a establishment that serves alcohol.

You do know that you can CC into ABC-ON establishments now, don't you?