Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which company makes the best 1911?

Post imported post

simple right? which company makes the best 1911? preferably with ambi-safety. i want an affordable 1911 but i dont want a crap gun either. Ive been looking at taurus right now. maybe springfield?

Banned

Post imported post

They're all pretty good. Even an Armscor will send 'em downrange with unflagging reliability.

If you want "best," look around on Gunbroker.com for one that's one a 2700 match.

Post imported post

Is there a crap 1911? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Mr. Browning came up with a design that's nearly impossible to screw up too badly.

Post imported post

A good 1911 for about 600 would be the taurus pt 1911 and it comes with the ambi safety plus the grooves on the front of the slide and a polished feed ramp. This is the model i bought.

Post imported post

I've got a full sized Springfield 1911A1 Loaded that I absolutely love. Paid about $850 for it. Great gun. I swapped out the brown wood grips that came with it for the black aluminum grips you see. Also I use Wilson Combat 8 round magazines with it. The only thing it doesn't have that I would like on it is front strap checkering.

Post imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
    simple right? which company makes the best 1911? preferably with ambi-safety. i want an affordable 1911 but i dont want a crap gun either. Ive been looking at taurus right now. maybe springfield?
    Who knows, it's all a matter of PERSONAL preference.

Springfield & Kimber are some of the top names out there.

RRA, RIA, Taurus and on and on and on ........

Post imported post

You have three options, in my opinion. I don't care for any other company that makes 1911s, because once you handle a Kimber, Ed Brown, or Wilson, they look and feel clunky. (no offense guys).

http://www.kimberamerica.com/

Kimber makes the best "production" line 1911. They give you the best value for your money, while keeping costs down with a production line that reduces costs of labor. You won't find a better overall quality and value for the money, with many custom features that come standard on all models. I own a Kimber, and love it. A Kimber 1911 is my only main carry gun.

Ed Brown http://www.edbrown.com/

and

Wilson Combat http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

make the top of the line CUSTOM 1911s, that are all hand made by top experienced gunsmiths. No production line here! You get exactly what you ask for, and you will pay top dollar for it too.

Kimber is the lowest quality of standard I will accept in my carry gun. One day I WILL have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, unless the U.N. fascists get their way.

All three companies are American owned and made.

Post imported post

Best is qualitative, so you've going to get subjective answers.

Best fit/finish?

Best accuracy?

Best value?

Most expensive?

Best looking?

FWIW, I have two RIAs, and I can recommend them.

Post imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
    I've got a full-size S&W 1911 in 45acp that I paid about $800 for out-the-door. With 3K rounds through it, it's still as tight as it was when I bought it. However, I don't consider it to be a "top end" 1911 by any means.

IMO, in regards to 1911 platforms, you really only get what you paid for. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule and I'm certain there are many who own inexpensive 1911's that are more than satisfied with them.

Post imported post

Para-Ordnance makes them from about $600 on up. Owning both Paras and a Kimber, I will buy another Para first. They provide more for the money IMHO.

Post imported post

STI here in Texas makes some nice looking 1911's.:P

www.stiguns.com

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:

http://www.stiguns.com
    Wow, are they obsessed with 3/4'' lettering !?!?

If those letters were not so big, I'd consider.

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    All three companies are American owned and made.
    Which I can't say the same for my beloved Springfield.

And is also why I'm considering my 1911 purchase to be a Kimber.

Post imported post

Too subjective of a ?.

I own or have owned 1911's from:
    Colt (CCO, DE, pre series 70, series 70 and 80)
    Springfield (1991A1 and several variants of the same)
    Dan Wesson (Ponitman, RazorBack)
    Para Ordnance (kit before they made complete guns, P14, CCW)
    Sig (GSR)
    S&W (1911SC)
    Detonics Combat Master
    Coonan Model B
    along with a few Custom guns.

Never owned a Taurus 1911.

Never had to send any back or had any major problems.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    CrossFire wrote:

Wow, are they obsessed with 3/4'' lettering !?!?

If those letters were not so big, I'd consider.

Still they are some sweet looking firearms. If I could only afford them.

Post imported post

Yea they look real good.

I absolutely LOVE the Rear Engraving job on their pro Models

Post imported post

CrossFire wrote:

I really like the Perfect 10, but I'd prefer it in a 5" model. Now, the MSRP being $2500 well.... :shock: I don't think I like it that much after all. For that much, I can own 4 Glocks or XD's or a combination of both with change left over for ammo.

ETA: I wonder why STI doesnot include the mag capacity? They only specify as hi-cap.

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    CrossFire wrote:

I really like the Perfect 10, but I'd prefer it in a 5" model. Now, the MSRP being $2500 well.... :shock: I don't think I like it that much after all. For that much, I can own 4 Glocks or XD's or a combination of both with change left over for ammo.

ETA: I wonder why STI doesnot include the mag capacity? They only specify as hi-cap.
    I understand like I said I wish I could afford one. But thats OK my SA-XD's are all the gun I will ever really need.

Post imported post

Try the Taurus PT1911....lots of features and nice fit and finish. Also it happens to be very affordable. My brother has one and loves it. It will be my next 1911. Heres the site...

http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol

Post imported post

there is no "best 1911". They are all good.

Post imported post

Just get yourself a Springfield Mil-Spec, a notch above their GI model. Shoot it. Figure out what upgrades you want, do some yourself, pal up with a smith in your area for others and you're golden.

You will not be disappointed.

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Just get yourself a Springfield Mil-Spec, a notch above their GI model. Shoot it. Figure out what upgrades you want, do some yourself, pal up with a smith in your area for others and you're golden.

You will not be disappointed.
    I'll 2ndthat

Post imported post

I vouch for the Taurus as that is what I had. The price is unbeatable and you actually get a pretty modern and well rounded gun with many of the bells and whistles already in place that you might have to purchase a la carte with other manufacturers. I never had a single problem with the Taurus.

But again, the 1911 is different from other guns in that they are all basically the same gun regardless of manufacturer. As long as you stick with a brand name you are going to love it.

Just buy one that you like and be done with it.

Post imported post

It's unlikely there is a "best." There's such a wide array of 1911 models available.

What a classic design. I've gotten the 1911 bug in recent years and now own several, Colt, Dan Wesson, Kimber and S&W in .45 and 10mm (mostly). My favorite right now is a S&W 1911PD and my least favorite is a 70 series Combat Commander which I've owned for 30 years.

I've yet to jump into the EB/Wilson/STI level and don't think I will. Well, probably not.

Best? I think it's a quicksand concept here. But it's fun to think about all the choices.

Post imported post

With almost any manufacturer you can get a really good 1911, but the "cheaper" manufacturers will have a higher percentage of guns with problems in either the short run, the long run, or both. So, basically it is a crap shoot, but your odds are "better" with the top manufacturers because they have tighter tolerances on their guns and generally higher quality parts overall.

I would say they order is something like this (Only including manufacturers with most guns under $1500):

The best:
    Dan Wesson
    Tightest tolerances, highest quality parts, fantastic warranty should you have the rare bad one, no MIM parts, and each gun has specially matched parts (thus the tight tolerances) and assembly is done entirely by hand. The only issue is that they are so popular now that they may be working too hard to meet demand as it seems like quality MAY have slipped a little recently. Though it could just be that their rising popularity has resulted in many new people buying their guns and then not oiling them enough. People new to Dan Wessons may not realize you need to put a ridiculous amount of oil on them for the first ~500 rounds because of the ridiculously tight tolerances.

Close second:
    STI (pricier though)

Damn fine 1911's:
    Kimber
    Springfield

Very good 1911's:
    Colt
    S&W
    Sig
    Para-ordnance

Decent 1911's:
    RIA/Armscor

Basically, you would be fine for general purposes with any of these, even the RIA. For defensive carry you might want a weapon that holds more rounds than normal, which not all manufacturers offer (ruling out Dan Wesson). However, if you want a target gun then you want to go with the Dan Wesson, STI, Kimber, or Springfield, and hopefully you get one of the better ones for the Kimber or Springfield. Of course, you could just as well go with any of these, and even with an RIA you might get SUPER lucky and have a particularly accurate one, as mentioned previously.

Also, since Dan Wesson's don't cost more than most of these there is no reason to not get one of those as far as I can tell. If you bought a cheaper gun (other than an RIA) and had it fixed up by a good gunsmith it would still cost more than the Dan Wesson, though it might be a better gun at that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast