• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which company makes the best 1911?

poothrowingape

imported post

simple right? which company makes the best 1911? preferably with ambi-safety. i want an affordable 1911 but i dont want a crap gun either. Ive been looking at taurus right now. maybe springfield?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

They're all pretty good. Even an Armscor will send 'em downrange with unflagging reliability.

If you want "best," look around on Gunbroker.com for one that's one a 2700 match.

FogRider

imported post

Is there a crap 1911? I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Mr. Browning came up with a design that's nearly impossible to screw up too badly.

headhunter09

imported post

A good 1911 for about 600 would be the taurus pt 1911 and it comes with the ambi safety plus the grooves on the front of the slide and a polished feed ramp. This is the model i bought.

soloban

imported post

I've got a full sized Springfield 1911A1 Loaded that I absolutely love. Paid about $850 for it. Great gun. I swapped out the brown wood grips that came with it for the black aluminum grips you see. Also I use Wilson Combat 8 round magazines with it. The only thing it doesn't have that I would like on it is front strap checkering.

001.jpg

Dustin

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
simple right? which company makes the best 1911? preferably with ambi-safety. i want an affordable 1911 but i dont want a crap gun either. Ive been looking at taurus right now. maybe springfield?

Who knows, it's all a matter of PERSONAL preference.

Springfield & Kimber are some of the top names out there.

RRA, RIA, Taurus and on and on and on ........

Statesman

imported post

You have three options, in my opinion. I don't care for any other company that makes 1911s, because once you handle a Kimber, Ed Brown, or Wilson, they look and feel clunky. (no offense guys).

http://www.kimberamerica.com/

Kimber makes the best "production" line 1911. They give you the best value for your money, while keeping costs down with a production line that reduces costs of labor. You won't find a better overall quality and value for the money, with many custom features that come standard on all models. I own a Kimber, and love it. A Kimber 1911 is my only main carry gun.

Ed Brown http://www.edbrown.com/

and

Wilson Combat http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

make the top of the line CUSTOM 1911s, that are all hand made by top experienced gunsmiths. No production line here! You get exactly what you ask for, and you will pay top dollar for it too.

Kimber is the lowest quality of standard I will accept in my carry gun. One day I WILL have an Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, unless the U.N. fascists get their way.

All three companies are American owned and made. :dude:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Best is qualitative, so you've going to get subjective answers.

Best fit/finish?

Best accuracy?

Best value?

Most expensive?

Best looking?

FWIW, I have two RIAs, and I can recommend them.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:

I've got a full-size S&W 1911 in 45acp that I paid about $800 for out-the-door. With 3K rounds through it, it's still as tight as it was when I bought it. However, I don't consider it to be a "top end" 1911 by any means.

IMO, in regards to 1911 platforms, you really only get what you paid for. Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule and I'm certain there are many who own inexpensive 1911's that are more than satisfied with them.

Gordie

imported post

Para-Ordnance makes them from about $600 on up. Owning both Paras and a Kimber, I will buy another Para first. They provide more for the money IMHO.

Marco

imported post

Too subjective of a ?.

I own or have owned 1911's from:
Colt (CCO, DE, pre series 70, series 70 and 80)
Springfield (1991A1 and several variants of the same)
Dan Wesson (Ponitman, RazorBack)
Para Ordnance (kit before they made complete guns, P14, CCW)
Sig (GSR)
S&W (1911SC)
Detonics Combat Master
Coonan Model B
along with a few Custom guns.

Never owned a Taurus 1911.

Never had to send any back or had any major problems.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
STI here in Texas makes some nice looking 1911's.:p

http://www.stiguns.com

I really like the Perfect 10, but I'd prefer it in a 5" model. Now, the MSRP being $2500 well.... :shock: I don't think I like it that much after all. For that much, I can own 4 Glocks or XD's or a combination of both with change left over for ammo.

ETA: I wonder why STI doesnot include the mag capacity? They only specify as hi-cap.

CrossFire

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CrossFire wrote:
STI here in Texas makes some nice looking 1911's.:p

http://www.stiguns.com

I really like the Perfect 10, but I'd prefer it in a 5" model. Now, the MSRP being $2500 well.... :shock: I don't think I like it that much after all. For that much, I can own 4 Glocks or XD's or a combination of both with change left over for ammo.

ETA: I wonder why STI doesnot include the mag capacity? They only specify as hi-cap.
I understand like I said I wish I could afford one. But thats OK my SA-XD's are all the gun I will ever really need.