• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picked up a Walther PPS tonight.

richarcm

imported post

What a beautiful and small gun!! :) It was between the PPS and the Kahr P9. I hope I made the right decision....

ritepath

imported post

I loved the PPS, I was going to pick up a PPS 40 but if just felt too narrow in my hand when compared to my M&P 9c. That and the extra 100 bucks...LOL

But the PPS is a great gun, I'd still love to have one. I think you'll love it...

richarcm

imported post

ritepath wrote:
I loved the PPS, I was going to pick up a PPS 40 but if just felt too narrow in my hand when compared to my M&P 9c. That and the extra 100 bucks...LOL

But the PPS is a great gun, I'd still love to have one. I think you'll love it...
I already have a problem though. Upon taking down the gun and putting it back together I noticed that my guide rod does not fully extend. As a result the slide does not fully rack. I emailed S&W. Hopefully they can just send me a new one or something.

Alexcabbie

imported post

richarcm wrote:
ritepath wrote:

I already have a problem though. Upon taking down the gun and putting it back together I noticed that my guide rod does not fully extend. As a result the slide does not fully rack. I emailed S&W. Hopefully they can just send me a new one or something.
Get on YouTube, there are already videos about the weapon that may tell you what if any misstep yo may have taken.

You mean to tell me S&W makes THIS one too?? Ohhhhh my head. Say it ain't so :banghead: They already effed up the PPK, and now Walther trusts them with THIS design? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

richarcm

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
richarcm wrote:
ritepath wrote:

Get on YouTube, there are already videos about the weapon that may tell you what if any misstep yo may have taken.

You mean to tell me S&W makes THIS one too?? Ohhhhh my head. Say it ain't so :banghead: They already effed up the PPK, and now Walther trusts them with THIS design? :banghead::banghead::banghead:
I dont believe this is a misstep. It disassembles exactly like a Glock or and XD. The guide rod just doesn't extend out as far as it should and so it isn't creating a tight enough of a fit for the slide to operate properly.

And yes, S&W makes the Walther's. At least they make the Walthers sold in the US. I believe that the design is still Walther's.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I just watched the assembly vid for the PPS and it looks to me like the guide rod and spring are to be removed as a unit?? So if it worked before you took it apart it ought to work when you put it back togerher. But It's your weapon and I have never gotten intimate with the PPS (as of yet). Are you sure you didn't take it down too far and maybe lost a washer or something??

richarcm

imported post

When I first bought it I only racked the slide a couple of times but didn't really pay much attention to it. Any inconsistencies when compared to my XD9 I surely played off as being simply because it was a different gun. And, again, it works exactly like a Glock or an XD. There are only 4 parts to it....the frame, slide, barrel and guide rod/spring assembly.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

The Walther PPS is made by Walther, in Germany. It is imported by S&W, and they take care of customer service in this country. Again, the PPS is 100% Walther/German made.

As far as your guide rod issue, that's a new one. I'm a regular over at http://ppstalk.com and I've never heard of that. I too would think it was a reassembly issue. Let us know what you figure out.

richarcm

imported post

DreQo wrote:
The Walther PPS is made by Walther, in Germany. It is imported by S&W, and they take care of customer service in this country. Again, the PPS is 100% Walther/German made.

As far as your guide rod issue, that's a new one. I'm a regular over at http://ppstalk.com and I've never heard of that. I too would think it was a reassembly issue. Let us know what you figure out.
Come on now. You people act like it takes skill to put together these guns. The Glock the XD and the PPS all assemble and disassemble in almost exact fashion. Assembly is all but about 2 or 3 steps. And I don't know how you could botch installing the guide rod even if you actually tried to.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps it just doesn't sit as tight against the barrel as it does on other guns. I contacted S&W and they said that I should take it to the range and fire some rounds through it. I shot about 200 rounds through it, took it apart, cleaned it and put it back together. The spring just doesn't provide enough tension against the barrel. It seemed to fire fine, load fine and eject fine. So maybe thats just how this gun is....I don't know.

richarcm

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Then get a new spring.  There is such a thing as a random defective part, you know.

Thanks. I never realized that. First though I want to find out if it's normal. And if it's not normal then I am going to ask s&w send me a replacement spring.