• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Audio Recorders

FatboyCykes

imported post

Okay, so here I go, finally have a little play money that I've been waiting for. Obviously, this is a must have for anyone OC'ing.

More than anything else, I would like to have the ability, and ease of transferring an audio file from the recorder to my computer and to be able to pass it along, key word ease here.

These are the two models that I've found that seem the most reasonable in price and capabilities.

Olympus VN-5200PC - About 50.00 on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-52...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241561160&sr=1-4

This looks like the one I'll be purchasing, the only thing holding me back is this one review on Amazon...

One more peeve is the lack of organizer program for your PC. The VN4200PC came with a very basic, but very useful program that allowed you to sort and file recordings on your PC. The VN5200PC does not. The best you can do is dump the files on disc and then use some other program to figure out how to arrange and file the recordings. So far this has been a tedious and annoying process.
This however seems to be the singular negative post regarding the transfer abilities, most compliment it's compatibility with Vista(what I have) and Windows Media Center.

Olympus VN-4100PC - About 35-50 on Ebay
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-VN-4100PC-Digital-Voice-Recorder/dp/B000OVPB9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1241571212&sr=1-1

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R40&satitle=OLYMPUS+VN-4100-PC&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=48091&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=34%26fsoo%3D1

This one seems to have a lot more negative and positive comments regarding the PC transferability....

Anybody have any other suggestions? I would like to keep it at or lower than 50.00 on the price, and it must have some kind of computer transferal capability, other than that go crazy.

TheSzerdi

imported post

I recently purchased an Olympus VN-5000 at Best Buy for around $45 and didn't realize till much later that it has no PC transfer port. It records very well and clearly and seems to hardly use the batteries, but the lack of PC transfer is annoying. I bought a double male 1/8" audio cable at radio shack and just plug it into the mic port on my comp and the speaker port on the recorder. Turn on the recording software of choice (I use Audacity cuz it's free) and push play on the recorder. It works, although only in realtime which makes for slow transferring. All in all a great recorder with crappy interfacing. Next time I'll pay more attention to packaging and less to sales associates.

Michigander

imported post

There are a vast array of recording options. I suggest carrying multiples. An audio recorder is good by itself, but it can be complimented with items such as digital cameras that can take video too, pen and paper, a cell phone that records audio and/or video, and a friend with a full sized camcorder and an audio recorder in his or her pocket.

A month ago I'd probably have thought carrying 2 or more recording devices was paranoid, but in light of what's been going on lately, we all need the point driven home that we need to carry recorders EVERY time we carry.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Michigander wrote:
There are a vast array of recording options. I suggest carrying multiples. An audio recorder is good by itself, but it can be complimented with items such as digital cameras that can take video too, pen and paper, a cell phone that records audio and/or video, and a friend with a full sized camcorder and an audio recorder in his or her pocket.

A month ago I'd probably have thought carrying 2 or more recording devices was paranoid, but in light of what's been going on lately, we all need the point driven home that we need to carry recorders EVERY time we carry.
Agreed, and in certain situations, it might be necessary to take 2nd and 3rd and 4th precautions, that that's just not practical on a day to day basis for basic, non-educational OC'ing.

I want one for 95% of the carrying I do, which I know is legal, but want to have it just in case. I think this will be a bigger issue/deal once I get my CPL as it has it's slightly more "gray" areas.

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Agreed, and in certain situations, it might be necessary to take 2nd and 3rd and 4th precautions, that that's just not practical on a day to day basis for basic, non-educational OC'ing.
I subscribed to that attitude right up until 6 or 7 Sheriff's deputies who didn't know any better surrounded us at Boston Market and demanded IDs. We were eating, minding our own business, and not being very visible, certainly not much of an educational attempt. Things are improving, and problems are very rare to begin with, but sadly, bad encounters can happen almost anywhere in this state, and that is why I think that to anyone who can afford them, 2 recorders is a bare minimum when OCing.

viperar15

imported post

i bought mine at walmart for i think around 30 bucks. awesome quality.works even recording from jeans pants pockets. and has pc transder. it was a little gray and black unit. its not with me right now, so i dont remember anything, besides getting it at walmart.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I have the Olympus VN-4100PC, and I have only one problem with it - battery life.

Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but I use NiMH rechargeables, and they don't have nearly the life of the $$$ batteries - but I'm too cheap to buy the more expensive ones.

The recorder itself can record like 24 hours, but you'd be lucky to get more than 3-4 hours out of it - and then there's the fact that the battery meter goes from full to flat (as calculated by the recorder itself) with no warning.

Someone mentioned something about a Sansa (Salsa?) mp3 player with recording capabilities - I'm not sure which one it ones - if someone knows what I am referring to please chime in.

Back to the dedicated recorders, if anyone knows one that functions well with NiMH batteries, or has a built-in battery with long-life, please tell us about it!

Bronson

imported post

Double check that you are not already carrying a voice recorder.

Many MP3 players have this capability (mine does) as do many cell phones. You may already be lugging one around and not know it :p

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Bronson wrote:
Double check that you are not already carrying a voice recorder.

Many MP3 players have this capability (mine does) as do many cell phones. You may already be lugging one around and not know it :p

Bronson

You are correct... my new BB Storm has 8GB on my card and records clearly from a distance of about 20 feet outside at normal voice levels. Plus, it automatically saves it in .mp3 format. :) Plus, I have loaded various legal opinions, MCL Sections, and other useful documents on it... very handy indeed.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Indeed it is! I'm too cheap to invest in something like that though :p I have a company provided cell phone and all they need it to do is make calls :p

I did however purchase the Olympus vn-5200pc that I originally posted. New from Amazon for 51.40, should have it in a few days, I'll report back when I've had a chance to play with it a bit :)

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I have an Olympus WS-110. It breaks in half to reveal a USB (2.0). Battery powered which is the only down side. 21 hour battery and 69 hour recording. Easy on off and out of sight controls:celebrate. Microphone could be better, but that's almost an absolute must for all but the highest end recorders. They come after market for anywhere for $5 -$20. The one Michigander linked on the Kalamazoo thread looks awesome. But I've got no clue what the price tag is though.

Veritas

imported post

Personally, I think we should keep our spy media devices to ourselves and PM that info to people as we deem necessary. If LEO is visiting this site, they're going to become aware of all of our little gadgets.

Just my two cents.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

But really we have as much of a right to record the incident on whichever media we choose as they do. It is possible, but I think there is little they could legally (Key being Legally) do about it.

ghostrider

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
But really we have as much of a right to record the incident on whichever media we choose as they do. It is possible, but I think there is little they could legally (Key being Legally) do about it.

Veritas is right. These things should be kept private. Sure, it's your right to do so, but we've already had reports of officers taking (unlawfully) peoples recording devices and in one case turning it off (while claiming that he didn't know what it was, even though he knew how to disable the lock), and another purposefully trying to damage it.

You have to understand. We are talking about crooked, cops who are conducting criminal actions. They will do whatever necessary to cover up their criminal acts.

I agree that these things should be removed, and taken care of through PM.