• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Audio Recorders

Veritas

imported post

Absolutely correct you are (and talk like Yoda am I)...

But do we, or do we not, want to create and inspire change? How can that be done when officers change their behavior for the cameras? Or what if you're arrested, and upon your subsequent release you find that your media device has been erased, damaged, or just plain "missing"?

Veritas

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Veritas is right. These things should be kept private. Sure, it's your right to do so, but we've already had reports of officers taking (unlawfully) peoples recording devices and in one case turning it off (while claiming that he didn't know what it was, even though he knew how to disable the lock), and another purposefully trying to damage it.

You have to understand. We are talking about crooked, cops who are conducting criminal actions. They will do whatever necessary to cover up their criminal acts.

I agree that these things should be removed, and taken care of through PM.
+1,000

FatboyCykes

imported post

I can understand the earlier covert camera/recorder, but if LEO is indeed patrolling this site, you'd have to modify about 100 threads as an audio recorder of some sort is recommended in a ton of threads. I think I'll start looking for that covert device....:D

Said device is all over ebay for 30-50 bones.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
...I agree that these things (discussion of recording devices) should be removed, and taken care of through PM.
(my parenthesized text above)

I disagree. You can't have an interactive discussion about such the choices, plusses and minuses of such devices via PM.

Now, if we're talking deep cover stuff, then I agree.

However,one always has the right to remain silent, and people should exercise that right if their recording device is tampered with.

FatboyCykes

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Veritas wrote:
If LEO is visiting this site...
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"They are definitly visiting the site. That was brought to my attention yesterday.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Hi guys! :p
I know they are visiting, but I said patrolling, as in actively watching on a regular basis. Small difference, semantics really, but I think it stands to reason, that anyone who spends more than a few minutes on this site, is going to realize that the vast majority of us are going to have some type of recording device(s) on our person whilst open carrying, I pretty much think that cat is out of the bag, and it should be.

The deep cover, secondary, devices w/e, I don't mind them knowing about the potential of those either myself. I do very, very little OC by myself, and never by myself in a questionable situation.

I know that, that is no guarantee, but I think they are reasonable steps in the current climate of OC.

ghostrider

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Veritas wrote:
If LEO is visiting this site...
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"They are definitly visiting the site. That was brought to my attention yesterday.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"Hi guys! :p
I know they are visiting, but I said patrolling, as in actively watching on a regular basis. Small difference, semantics really, but I think it stands to reason, that anyone who spends more than a few minutes on this site, is going to realize that the vast majority of us are going to have some type of recording device(s) on our person whilst open carrying, I pretty much think that cat is out of the bag, and it should be.

The deep cover, secondary, devices w/e, I don't mind them knowing about the potential of those either myself. I do very, very little OC by myself, and never by myself in a questionable situation.

I know that, that is no guarantee, but I think they are reasonable steps in the current climate of OC.

Just because you don't OC, doesn't mean you won't have the need. CC'ers have also been harassed for their choice, just not as often.

That said. There have been instances of officers actually mentioning this site in their reports in such a way that it's clear that they got the info from visiting here.

Maybe you feel that you (general term) have nothing to hide, but others may with to remain as low profile as possible.

FatboyCykes

DanM

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
T Vance wrote:
Con's -The Pause/Resume button is the same as the Delete recording button and is hit twice to either pause/resume or to delete. If you aren't paying attention, you just deleted your recording. (major drawback, but is the only con I could find.)
That's the only negative review I could find on the unit. Nice one!

And that negativereally ain't relevantfor us responsible gun carriers who would carry this device.I'm suretrigger-finger discipline could easily be adopted for this device as well. :)

T Vance

imported post

With that recorder I find myself stopping it instead of pausing it when I play it back. Hell as long as you are using it primarily to record, then transfer to your PC then it won't be used to playback much anyway.

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I'm not sure that you need to be that careful. I've been spotted by a number of cops in the royal oak area, and I have yet to be stopped by them. I think it's pretty reasonable to infer that Warren cops would be the same way, or at the worst stop you and try to demand ID, then leave, because of the picnic that happened there last year.

If you're unsure of whether or not the police in your neighborhood are aware of OC, you can contact them. If you don't want to, someone else here will for you if you ask. With a few exceptions like Detroit, once the police are aware of open carrying, they tend to leave you alone.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
FatboyCykes wrote:
I'm not sure that you need to be that careful. I've been spotted by a number of cops in the royal oak area, and I have yet to be stopped by them. I think it's pretty reasonable to infer that Warren cops would be the same way, or at the worst stop you and try to demand ID, then leave, because of the picnic that happened there last year.

If you're unsure of whether or not the police in your neighborhood are aware of OC, you can contact them. If you don't want to, someone else here will for you if you ask. With a few exceptions like Detroit, once the police are aware of open carrying, they tend to leave you alone.

Again, we are not talking about your every day, honest cop who is just trying to maintain order. We're talking about the crooked ones who know full well that they are breaking the law and violating someones rights. We're talking about an officer who would tamper with evidence and turn off a citizens personal recorder, or drop it on the ground to damage it, or turn of their own lip mike. Further, there are also uncanny incidents of police abuse of authority and citizens that have mysteriously failed to get recorded on the on board recording systems of patrol cars (even though it worked fine before the event).

Bottom line is that there are plenty of crooked cops out there who won't hesitate to do what is necessary to cover up their own unlawful behavior.

These things have been reported on these forums.

Just consider what such a thug (I don't even like calling such cretin "officer" lest it soil the image of decent LE) might do once he confiscates/destroys the voice recorder.

That thug that unlawfully arrested Veritas stated he "detained" him (It would be interesting to hear the judges view of the officer referring to being cuffed and stuffed as "Detained") because he was "suspicious". That thug had no knowledge of any crime that Veritas had involvement with, and he knew that he didn't have reasonable suspicion. Veritas is fortunate that it was broad daylight, and there were plenty of witnesses around, as well as a notice from MOC on intent. It was too public for him to cover up. Had the same thing happened with less witnesses, and after dark when Veritas would have had no witnesses, and passerbys. IT quite possibly could have been a different story.

We are talking abou criminals here. Consider that mind set when making such decisions. You don't leave your car doors unlocked in downtown Detroit just because the majority of people are decent and honest.

SigSauer

imported post

Anyone ever think of using a ****PM me***? I have a ***PM me*** (you can find a used one on ebay, I'm sure). Oh, and I think that all of the ***PM me*** devices work in this way.

Here's why I like it...

It can record your entire day, non-stop.
Easy to erase your "no-event" files.
Rechargeable
Unhindered recording in or out of it's case
Non-proprietary audio file
Can record to internal memory, or to SD card
Records in background, can't tell that it is recording
Doesn't look like a digital recorder

SOUND QUALITY! Without a doubt, the finest and clearest sound quality that I have ever heard from a "digital recorder". I have used this to record moments of time (we can discuss this bit privately) where clarity of spoken word was crucial. This unit recorded from a table, from a bag at my feet, from my shirt pocket, from a location 20 feet away and down a short hall. I was thrilled. Oh, and no "fabric" or "movement" noise like you would get from most pocket recorders.

Best of all, it is just a simple ***PM me***, the same thing that many geeks (such as myself) carry all of the time. You can't think anything BUT "is this thing on??" when you see what is obviously a digital recorder. With a ***PM me*** the recording option is so little used that it isn't going to be the first thing that you think of when you see it, right? Think about it a minute.

Ok, I made it all "Secret Squirrel/Spy vs. Spy " for you. Just PM me and I'll give you the decoder ring. Just don't shoot your foot off in the meantime (yeah, I'm sure that little joke will get someone's panties all bunched-up, just don't send me PMs about it).

ghostrider

imported post

SigSauer wrote:
Anyone ever think of using a ****PM me***? I have a ***PM me*** (you can find a used one on ebay, I'm sure). Oh, and I think that all of the ***PM me*** devices work in this way.

Here's why I like it...

It can record your entire day, non-stop.
Easy to erase your "no-event" files.
Rechargeable
Unhindered recording in or out of it's case
Non-proprietary audio file
Can record to internal memory, or to SD card
Records in background, can't tell that it is recording
Doesn't look like a digital recorder

SOUND QUALITY! Without a doubt, the finest and clearest sound quality that I have ever heard from a "digital recorder". I have used this to record moments of time (we can discuss this bit privately) where clarity of spoken word was crucial. This unit recorded from a table, from a bag at my feet, from my shirt pocket, from a location 20 feet away and down a short hall. I was thrilled. Oh, and no "fabric" or "movement" noise like you would get from most pocket recorders.

Best of all, it is just a simple ***PM me***, the same thing that many geeks (such as myself) carry all of the time. You can't think anything BUT "is this thing on??" when you see what is obviously a digital recorder. With a ***PM me*** the recording option is so little used that it isn't going to be the first thing that you think of when you see it, right? Think about it a minute.

Ok, I made it all "Secret Squirrel/Spy vs. Spy " for you. Just PM me and I'll give you the decoder ring. Just don't shoot your foot off in the meantime (yeah, I'm sure that little joke will get someone's panties all bunched-up, just don't send me PMs about it).

PM inbound.:p

j/k

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SigSauer wrote:
Anyone ever think of using a ****PM me***? I have a ***PM me*** (you can find a used one on ebay, I'm sure). Oh, and I think that all of the ***PM me*** devices work in this way...
Yeah, but how much does it cost?? :lol:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

BB62 wrote:
SigSauer wrote:
Anyone ever think of using a ****PM me***? I have a ***PM me*** (you can find a used one on ebay, I'm sure). Oh, and I think that all of the ***PM me*** devices work in this way...
Yeah, but how much does it cost?? :lol:
They are surprisingly inexpensive under $40. Never mind I was thinking of another recording device than what the poster was referring to.

SigSauer

imported post

Hey, to all those that PMd me regarding the "James Bond-ish" recording device (well, not so "James Bond", really) -

You should search Ebay, but also check out craigslist (I use Craigslittlebuddy.com, awesome once you set-up your cities). My guess is that for as much time as you spend hunting amazon and waiting for special sales for digi-recorders, you should be able to find one of these things for a decent price.

Good luck,

Sig