• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCDL Article IV Ad-Hoc Debates

romma

imported post

My thoughts are as follows:

We need to go with a smaller Executive Board for practical purposes. Everytime someone steps down and we have to file paper work with the State, it may become tedious and expensive as well... If CCDL takes off State-Wide and there are hundreds of participating members someday, we could always ammend our Constitution.

I think if we have a Chairman/ President, a Vice-Chair/ Vice-President, aSecretary, and a Treasurer it wouldbeeasier to maintain.

For the rest of the positions, they could maybe be made as either appointed positions, maybe some of them combined into two for now, and if not appointed then maybevoted in as subcommittee positions accountable to the Board and membership as a whole...

This way at meetings we could give Executive reports, and Committee(Sub) reports.

Anyhow, these are some of my thoughts on how to streamline the structure to avoid filing hassles with the State.

Here we go Article IV:

Article IV: The Executive Board and Organizational Governance

Section 1. The Chairman
a. Represent the members of the CCDL in all facets of the organization.
b. Set general and executive board meeting agendas.
c. Proposes specific annual organizational priorities.
c. Coordinates relevant speakers and guests to attend CCDL functions.
d. Serves as CCDL liaison to other state and local firearms related organizations.

Section 2. The Vice-Chairman
a. Uphold and faithfully fulfill the responsibilities of the Chairman in their absence.
b. Assist the Chairman in carrying out defined duties.

Section 3. The Treasurer
a. Maintain an updated balance sheet of the bank account.
b. Collect membership dues at the beginning of the year.
c. Collect member receipts for reimbursement of approved expenses.
d. Carryout an annual fundraiser.
e. Collect and deposit checks from the fundraiser.
f. Prepare an estimated budget for upcoming events.
g. The Treasurer’s signature is required on all checks.
h. At the monthly general meeting: provide bank statements, reimbursements, receipts and expenditures.

Section 4. The Secretary
a. Take minutes at the general and executive board meetings.
b. Distribute the general meeting’s minutes to members through email before the next meeting.
c. Submit the minutes to the Vice-Chairman to display online.
d. Coordinate the fundraiser with the Treasurer.
e. Generate typed copies of administrative information as needed.
f. Take an attendance count at the meetings.

Section 5. The Membership Coordinator
a. Continually update the membership database with new members, contact information, and personal interest information.
b. Contact all members to advertise general meetings.
c. Coordinate membership tables at potential recruiting venues.
d. Circulate an attendance sheet at meetings to record the names of the present members.
e. Send a welcoming email to all new members.
f. Moderates the CCDL.us website.

Section 6. The Events Coordinator
a. Inform members of the time, date, and location of events at the meetings and through email.
b. Coordinate food, beverages, and other necessary items for group events.
c. Obtain permission or permits to hold events in certain places
d. Submit a budget to the Treasurer one month before proposed events.
e. Propose events for consideration to promote the CCDL mission statement.
f. Events should be friendly to open carry.

Section 7. The Legislative Advocacy Coordinator
a. Monitors Connecticut legislature for firearms related bills.
b. Monitors extraneous local attempts to regulate firearms not in line with Connecticut law.
c. Contacts elected representatives on behalf of the CCDL.
d. Generates calls to action to members regarding legislation.

Section 8. The Public Relations Coordinator
a. Send press releases about meetings, speakers, and public events to local media.
b. Send press releases to firearms related organizations, locally and nationally.
c. Develop and coordinate a system for promoting the CCDL around the state.
d. Field questions about the CCDL from local media.
e. Monitor local media for firearms related articles and stories.
i. Respond as necessary on behalf of the CCDL.

Section 9. The Community Service Coordinator
a. Organize, inform, and involve members in community service projects throughout the state.
b. Organize at least three service projects per year.
c. All community service projects should be friendly to open carry.

Section 10. Organizational Governance
a. Committees
i. Each executive board officer shall have the authority to nominate, with the approval of the Chairman, committees within their respective office.
ii. Committee members serve at the pleasure of the nominating executive board officer as needed.
iiii. Committee members may serve terms longer than one calendar year.
iv. Committee members shall not have authority to create subcommittees.
b. The CCDL uses Robert's Rules of Order for all official business.

JGuinness

imported post

Scott said (black), My input (red)
My thoughts are as follows:

We need to go with a smaller Executive Board for practical purposes. Everytime someone steps down and we have to file paper work with the State, it may become tedious and expensive as well... If CCDL takes off State-Wide and there are hundreds of participating members someday, we could always ammend our Constitution.

I proposed the minimum amount of officers I felt was needed to effectively promote our organization. It also allows for maximum involvement of our members if used fully. If we have hundreds of members we are going to want to have specific people in charge of specific roles, it will make running the group easier. As I have stated previously, this proposed constitution is for a large group if that is what we aim to be.

I think if we have a Chairman/ President, a Vice-Chair/ Vice-President, aSecretary, and a Treasurer it wouldbeeasier to maintain.

For now I will agree with this because of the size of the organization. I would not be opposed to tabling some board positions until the group reaches a certain size (say 100 active members), at which point the constitution automatically amends itself to instate the remaining positions.

For the rest of the positions, they could maybe be made as either appointed positions, maybe some of them combined into two for now, and if not appointed then maybevoted in as subcommittee positions accountable to the Board and membership as a whole...

This is a good idea to get around reporting "officer" changes to the state for now. If specific chairs serve on an appointed basis for whatever period of time we decide it could work.

This way at meetings we could give Executive reports, and Committee(Sub) reports.

Anyhow, these are some of my thoughts on how to streamline the structure to avoid filing hassles with the State.

In my experience, this structure works with committed individuals and is very efficient in accomplishing goals. There might be a hassle with the state... but if it makes us more effective in the long run, it will be more than worth it. My two cents.

romma

imported post

Justin, thank you for the input here... Hopefully we get some more thoughts from members on this Article!

Good to see you, and I am wiped out getting ready to dive into bed... BTW, I was out your way tonight in New Britain.

JGuinness

imported post

Input in red, what could be tabled temporarily:

Section 1. The Chairman
d. Serves as CCDL liaison to other state and local firearms related organizations.
(Essential)

a. Uphold and faithfully fulfill the responsibilities of the Chairman in their absence.
(Could be tabled)

Section 3. The Treasurer
h. At the monthly general meeting: provide bank statements, reimbursements, receipts and expenditures.
(Essential)

Section 4. The Secretary
b. Distribute the general meeting’s minutes to members through email before the next meeting.
(Essential)

a. Continually update the membership database with new members, contact information, and personal interest information.
d. Circulate an attendance sheet at meetings to record the names of the present members.
(Tasks could be handled by the secretary, although a dedicated position will make maintaining rolls and membership affairs easier, possible appointment)

Section 6. The Events Coordinator
a. Inform members of the time, date, and location of events at the meetings and through email.
(If we plan to hold our own events ie. days at the range, BBQ's, protests, etc... a dedicated position will be the best option, possible appointment)

b. Monitors extraneous local attempts to regulate firearms not in line with Connecticut law.
(If we plan to work with representatives this dedicated position could be valuable, again a possible appointment)

a. Send press releases about meetings, speakers, and public events to local media.
b. Send press releases to firearms related organizations, locally and nationally.
(Next to essential, our image will be what we make it to the media, it is going to be important to monitor and make sure media gets our story right and portrays us in a positive light, let alone covers our efforts, possible appointment)

a. Organize, inform, and involve members in community service projects throughout the state.
(Non essential, purely to explore a means to portray the group in a positive light, we will need some form of community service to provide a platform for our organization to get our message out without looking like we're preaching (ex. road-side clean-up while carrying openly) possible appointment)

a. Committees
i. Each executive board officer shall have the authority to nominate, with the approval of the Chairman, committees within their respective office.
ii. Committee members serve at the pleasure of the nominating executive board officer as needed.
(These are separate issues entirely based on what is determined about the fate of the positions above.)

JGuinness

imported post

romma wrote:
Justin, thank you for the input here... Hopefully we get some more thoughts from members on this Article!

Good to see you, and I am wiped out getting ready to dive into bed... BTW, I was out your way tonight in New Britain.
Input is good at this point, I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks, this was not easy to write. Organization is essential if we want to have influence.

Protector

imported post

Article IV: The Executive Board and Organizational Governance

Section 1. The Chairman

Section 3. The Treasurer

Also should mention the responsibility to keep the books in accordance with State law for our type of organization.

Section 4. The Secretary

This could be an appointed position, that reports to the executive board. Move theresponsibility to moderate the websiteto the PR coordinator.

Section6. The Events Coordinator

I think should be a board member. Events take money, that means expenditures from the CCDL account. I think that makes it important to be on the board. Also another reason to be a board position is that it will take more than one personand time to put together any event. Most of them wouldbe handled by a committee which should be chaired by the Events Coordinator. So in keeping with Section 10 it just makes sense to make this position a board member.

Another position I feel should be a board member.As this legislative session showed there are many bills that come up that will require our attention.This can make this person awfully busy and in need of help, so again in keeping with Section 10 this should be a board position.Alsothere may be times where a speedy decision is required as to how and what we support or oppose, so to be able to just speak to therest of the board or act as a board memberwould make this easier and quicker. Yet another reason to make this position a Boardmember is theobligation as a lobbying organization to comply with the laws regarding lobbying, and this person would have the responsibility to ensure that compliance.

I would make this an appointed position. Reasoning behind that is that the PR person works more for the Board and the Membership than with them. Should also bethe moderatorfor the website and the Facebook page.

Combine this position with that of the Events Coordinator. As any community service project we do will also be an event it would be better to have just one person with overall responsibility for these things.

a. Committees

This would take us down to 6 Boardmembers, which I think is managable as far as any paperwork with the State, and streamlines the organizational structure.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Quick question. Maybe the answer to it wont be.

Since we are now officially INC. , and we had to file paperwork with the state, How many people had to sign the paperwork?

I lot of the discussion is based onsignatures onpaperwork with the state.

What other paperwork has to be filed with the state?

How many signatures will be required on the rest of the filed paperwork?

Ok sorry more than a quick question. :lol:

GoldCoaster

imported post

I think some very valid points are being raised. I agree with the ones being essential although not being reported to the state (public relations, event coordinator etc).

I hope that having a lot of members becomes one of our problems, that's something this group needs! Those are good kinds of problems.

romma

imported post

Code:
Since we are now officially INC. , and we had to file paperwork with the state, How many people had to sign the paperwork? 

I lot of the discussion is based onsignatures onpaperwork with the state. 

What other paperwork has to be filed with the state?

How many signatures will be required on the rest of the filed paperwork?

As far as who has signed so far Lenny, Myself, Robert, and Jay have signed on as execs. Susan had to sign to become a registered agent as well.

I thinkbut I am not certain that wehave to file ourinsignia with the gun.

However, every time we add,or change officers in any way, we have to file.

If Iam incorrect on this, Susan will correct I am sure.