• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC is the ultimate act of political activism in Washington

44Brent

imported post

It is my opinion that that act of OCing is more effective in the fight for 2nd Amendment rights than the following:
  1. Writing letters to your congress person.
  2. Sending donations to political parties.
  3. Sending donations to 2nd Amendment organizations.
  4. Calling your congress person.
  5. Writing letters to the editor.
Here's why I believe it is the most important activity in which you can participate:

Every time you OC, you are saying "NO" to the propaganda war that is waged against gun owners. People who OC are like a small army of ants that destroy the anti-gun ownership mythology that is presented in the media. When you OC, you cleanse your pathway of negative propaganda. Million dollar campaigns of negative propaganda can be effectively nullified at NO COST, simply by the actions of a few people who OC. The reason OC is an effective political act is because most of the people around you own and like guns. When they see you OC, they are emboldened to "come out of the closet".

However, I am not saying that you should not do items 1-5. When it comes to activism, do "all of the above".

Dave Workman

imported post

A firearm is NOT a prop for political activism.

It is a piece of emergency survival equipment.

bugly

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

Correct, Dave, but when worn openly, it also sends a message that criminal activity is not welcome in your presence. A win/win situation, IMHO.

Dave Workman

imported post

bugly wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

Correct, Dave, but when worn openly, it also sends a message that criminal activity is not welcome in your presence. A win/win situation, IMHO.

Yoursentiment is well-intentioned. No offense intended -- when I want to send a message, I use a postcard. And when I want to make a political statement, I write a column, wave a flag or carry a sign.

I have not known an O/C'er to harm anyone, anywhere. That's because they were minding their own business.

44Brent

imported post

For anyone who states that guns are not props for political activism, I have a picture for you. This is Dianne Feinstein holding a scary looking EBR (evil black rifle). This picture was taken while she was agitating for an AWB.

dftf2.jpg

Dave Workman

imported post

44Brent wrote:
For anyone who states that guns are not props for political activism, I have a picture for you. This is Dianne Feinstein holding a scary looking EBR (evil black rifle). This picture was taken while she was agitating for an AWB.

dftf2.jpg

Yep, and it became quickly obvious from this image that the woman is a bonehead.

There is a lesson, a moral, in that.

There is a monumental difference in being "Hi-Visibility shrill" and being reasoned, calm and prudent.

People can usually tell the difference in a nano-second.

44Brent

imported post

There was a 10 year AWB thanks to the efforts of Dianne Feinstein, as she was successful in imprinting an image in the minds of her "target" audience -- that audience not being people who own EBRs.

Does the following picture contain props?

attachment.php

Dave Workman

imported post

Why, yes, Brent, that picture DOES contain props. It's a website aiming at a specific audience, whereas Feinstein was prancing for a press conference.

And you should note that this particular event was not responsible for passage of that 10-year ban on so-called "assault weapons."

That was the handiwork of the current vice president, Chuck Schumer, a Democrat-controlled Congress and the strong-arming of Bill Clinton and Rahm Emanuel.

Feinstein can certainly claim credit, but she had plenty of help that was far more capable.

She wanted a permanent ban, and even some of her closest allies told her to pound sand.

Now her close allies remember November 1994. And while she can take credit for the AWB, that's tantamont for taking credit for the issue that drove her party out of power for a dozen years.

Wouldn't want that on my political resume, would you?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

A prop? No.

An essential element of political activism, when OCed? Yes.

adamsesq

imported post

Great topic with lots of good views on many different sides. In fact it is so great that opencarry.org has a whole forum devoted to it:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum6/

Might I suggest this thread, the title notwithstanding, is NOT Washington related and would be better off in the forum listed above.

-adamsesq

compmanio365

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
44Brent wrote:
I wonder why these people are gathering together to pick up trash while OCing? Is it because they enjoy picking up trash? Or, could it be that they understand that OCing is a political activity?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22514&forum_id=55

Maybe they're just environmentally conscious.

And good citizens.
Could it be all 3? Speaking for myself, I say yes....I think it's a great way to get exposure, and is the main reason for it.....if we clean up the highway while getting that exposure, then that is a great perk.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Shamefully, I haven't been to an OC trash pickup. But I was at the Willow Lake Apt. get together and I can tell you it was NOT primarily to make political statement, though we managed to do so by our actions.

The primary thrust of that particular get together was to lend support to the LACs living there and to send a message to the criminals, thugs and druggies in the neighborhood that they are not welcome.

I'm told most of the BGs in the immediate vicinity moved to greener pastures.