• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrogant Toledo Police

Combat Veteran

imported post

I called Toledo Police to inform them that in view of the total number of Police layoffs, it was my intention to exorcise my right to open carry my firearm. I was switched to different offices 3 times and finally talked to a member of the Operations Division whereupon I was informed that police would arrest me, and that court costs and legal fees would be quite expensive,and could I afford the arrest record, and all the expenses, and is it worth all that troubleto be a "vigilante."

Hmm, such is the mind set of our Toledo Police.:banghead:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps you should have pointed out to who ever you talked to over the phone , that your expense for OC wouldn't be anywhere near as high as the City of Toledo's expensive if they arrest you.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Please tell me you wanted to "exercise" your right, and not "exorcise" it.

Sorry. I'm in my proofreading mode.

LEO 229

imported post

Combat Veteran wrote:
I called Toledo Police to inform them that in view of the total number of Police layoffs, it was my intention to exorcise my right to open carry my firearm. ..Snipped

exorcise

Main Entry:ex·or·cise
Variant(s):
also ex·or·cize ˈek-ˌsȯr-ˌsīz, -sər-
Function:
transitive verb

1 a: to expel (an evil spirit) by adjuration b: to get rid of (something troublesome, menacing, or oppressive)

: to free of an evil spirit

I am not sure that exorcising a demon that is preventing you openly carrying a gun is illegal either. :lol:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Why did you contact the PD for a discussion, instead of just going about your everyday business while OCing?

What were you hoping would result from the discussion?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Maybe you should have left out the "in the light of...," because that could be misconstrued into you being a vigilantly. Just tell them you're going to OC purely because it's legal to do soand they can suck a dick if they don't like it.

Deanimator

imported post

Combat Veteran wrote:
I called Toledo Police to inform them that in view of the total number of Police layoffs, it was my intention to exorcise my right to open carry my firearm. I was switched to different offices 3 times and finally talked to a member of the Operations Division whereupon I was informed that police would arrest me, and that court costs and legal fees would be quite expensive,and could I afford the arrest record, and all the expenses, and is it worth all that troubleto be a "vigilante."

More to the point is the "mind[less]set" of your short bus mayor, Carty Finkbeiner. He's Ralph Wiggum from "The Simpsons" promoted lightyears beyond his level of incompetence.

The Toledo PD are just his stooges.

Statesman

imported post

They may have interpreted your words as intent to act as a police officer, "in light of police layoffs, i'm going to ....". It's rarely a good idea to have a conversation with police, unless you need them for something.

Next time, just ask them what their current department policy is on OC, and how they would respond to a MWG call, where no crime is being committed.

Power has the tendancy to make anyone arrogant.

Legba

imported post

I think it's revealing that they threatened you with an "arrest record" as opposed to even the possibility of a conviction.

Nice allusion to the Peter Principle, deanimator.

-ljp

LEO 229

imported post

Statesman wrote:
They may have interpreted your words as intent to act as a police officer, "in light of police layoffs, i'm going to ....". It's rarely a good idea to have a conversation with police, unless you need them for something.

Next time, just ask them what their current department policy is on OC, and how they would respond to a MWG call, where no crime is being committed.

Power has the tendancy to make anyone arrogant.
I agree with you.

Why tell them you are going to do is and it is because there are fewer cops.

It does have the tone of... since there are no cops I am going to go out armed and take up the slack.

It seems the call was made not to solicit information but to inform the police he was going to do it and they were forewarned.

Best option would have been to ask how they felt about it and what response would be made if someone called on him.

This would give him some insight on carrying may be fine or may be problematic. Then he can prepare for any contact that he knows will be negative.

Before HR218 I traveled out-of-state and visited the local police department. I asked the supervisor how they felt about out-of-state cops CCing. He said they were fine with it and I could do it if I had my credentials.

I asked because I knew that some localities would arrest cops and not recognize them as a cop if they were from out-of-state. The codes can be vague on this when giving a LEO exemption. This is why HR218 was probably pushed forward.

If I go back, I am certainly not going to call up and warn them that I am going to do something that is otherwise legal. What is the point?

codename_47

imported post

I called Toledo Police to inform them that in view of the total number of Police layoffs, it was my intention to exorcise my right to open carry my firearm.

Before you told them that, did you inform them that you are exercising your right to free speech? Did you tell them you exercised your right to vote?

Why bother? If it is a right, you don't have to ask permission. Just do it. If they arrest you, sue their pants off. At this point, with the layoffs that may actually be a real threat.

Treo

imported post

I’m sorry but I don’t see the point of calling the police before hand to let them know that you’ll be OCing if it’s legal do it there’s no point in deliberately antagonizing the police

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

codename_47 wrote:
I called Toledo Police to inform them that in view of the total number of Police layoffs, it was my intention to exorcise my right to open carry my firearm.

Before you told them that, did you inform them that you are exercising your right to free speech? Did you tell them you exercised your right to vote?

Why bother? If it is a right, you don't have to ask permission. Just do it. If they arrest you, sue their pants off. At this point, with the layoffs that may actually be a real threat.
There is no "right to vote" ... just saying ...

I do agree with the point of the above (and others) that I do not see any point in calling LE to inform them of your intent to perform a legal act. There are also several good points about "tone" of the comments that may have meant something different to LE than intended.

My 40 years of life experience tell me that about 90% of the time that a generally law abiding citizen gets into trouble with some gov't authority is when s/he has the right to remain silent but not the ability.

Pagan

imported post

Combat Veteran wrote:

Were youjust trying to start trouble? It sure sounds like it. Go about your normal activity while legally exercising your rights, but don't antagonize the cops, if they violate you, then take them to court.

We need level headed citizens in this cause, not people itching for a fight. I'm not accusing you of that, but it seems that you are trying to get the local PD to hassle you.:quirky

NightOwl

imported post

exorcist_l.jpg

Is this a pre-call photo, before said exorcism?

Sorry, I couldn't resist (like most folks so far lol). Anyhow, if it's legal to do so, just do so. Calling to tell them like that is just baiting, like you're looking to pick a fight.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

DrMark wrote:
Why did you contact the PD for a discussion, instead of just going about your everyday business while OCing?

Indeed, that is just challenging them. There is no reason to notify them of your intent to exercise your rights.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
DrMark wrote:

SNIP There is no reason to notify them of your intent to exercise your rights.

I know this was not necessarily the gist of you comment, SV. I'm using it as a springboard to explore further.

I wonder if it is inappropriate in all cases to notify.

I could see a formal letter laying out all the legal points if one is going to OC in an area where maybe police don't know better.

One, it gives the cops a chance to come up to speed and saves the possible legal expenses of a lawsuit, or worse a trumped up charge.

And, it might also serve a purpose sorta like an about-to-be-libeled person notifying a newspaper that the story they are about to run contains libelous information. AsI understand it,if the newspaperstill prints the libel despite good evidence provided on notice, itadds support to the libel suit.

Ideas?

codename_47

imported post

And, it might also serve a purpose sorta like an about-to-be-libeled person notifying a newspaper that the story they are about to run contains libelous information. AsI understand it,if the newspaperstill prints the libel despite good evidence provided on notice, itadds support to the libel suit.

IMHO, no. That has no bearingon anything. In a lawsuit, all that matters is if the other side did it or not. You have no duty to attempt to avoid having your rights violated.

It doesn't add support or damages to the libel suit. If it is libelous, then it is libelous, period. If you are damaged, you are damaged. Notifying them in advance doesn't make it any worse.

I could see a formal letter laying out all the legal points if one is going to OC in an area where maybe police don't know better.

One, it gives the cops a chance to come up to speed and saves the possible legal expenses of a lawsuit, or worse a trumped up charge.

IMHO, the formal letter is already written. Just send them a copy of the constitution and hilight the 4th, 14th, and 2nd amendments.

If the cops are going to trump up the charges, they are going to do it, letter or no letter. That's like telling them "I am going to sue you" when they are illegally searching you or whatever. They are still going to do it.