• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan liquor control act

choover

imported post

Hey guys I am a new member from belleville michigan and I have been reading up on these forums for about a week and have found them to be very insightful :)

I am a bit confused on the Michigan liquor control act, it says that it is unlawful to carry in a area covered by this.. What does this mean? My local K-mart ect sell beer if I recall correctly, does that make them zones I cannot OC in?

Looking to make my first OC here soon, I just wanna make sure I have my ducks in a row first, thks for the help

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Welcome choover.

If you don't have a CPL, it is illegal for you to possess, carry, open carry any firearm into a place licensed under the MLCA.

These places include but are not limited to:

Kmart
Kroger
Meijer
Target
Any restaurant that sells beer, wineorhooch :)
your local party store
Many gas stations (they sell beer now)

ANY PLACE in MICHIGAN that legally sells beer, wine and/or liquor is a no no for any non-CPL holder.

Michigander

imported post

dougwg wrote:
ANY PLACE in MICHIGAN that legally sells beer, wine and/or liquor is a no no for any non-CPL holder.

I'm still trying to figure out for sure if this applies to walking through the parking lots. The prohibited place to carry is: h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act

But is the parking lot part of the establishment?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Michigander wrote:
dougwg wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out for sure if this applies to walking through the parking lots. The prohibited place to carry is: h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act

But is the parking lot part of the establishment?
Establishment in my mind means the building. But it's an interesting question. Not that it has weight but the concealed carry law had to further define premises to exclude the parking area. May show legislative intent.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
Establishment in my mind means the building. But it's an interesting question. Not that it has weight but the concealed carry law had to further define premises to exclude the parking area. May show legislative intent.

Back before we all understood that you HAD to have a CPL to go to a liquor licensed business, I was still paranoid enough never to do it. In this case, I'm going to continue on with that paranoia and think that the parking lots should be avoided too.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

choover wrote:
Hey guys I am a new member from belleville michigan and I have been reading up on these forums for about a week and have found them to be very insightful :)

I am a bit confused on the Michigan liquor control act, it says that it is unlawful to carry in a area covered by this.. What does this mean? My local K-mart ect sell beer if I recall correctly, does that make them zones I cannot OC in?

Looking to make my first OC here soon, I just wanna make sure I have my ducks in a row first, thks for the help
Welcome to OCDO Choover. Please add Michigan to your Profile.

choover

imported post

Am I to understand that you can open carry with a CPL in the above situations? I am going to get my CPL I had already taken the class but right after I started going through a divorce, I had enough sense that I left everything I had locked away due to the high stress of the situation. And with the time lapse I am certain I need to retake the class =/ ( almost 2 years )

conservative85

imported post

Welcome choover. hope you take in the wash rinse repeat thread. Learn it, live it, love it.

Yes with a cpl you may open carry in the fore mentioned areas...Target, Meijer etc.

ramblinfeaver

imported post

choover wrote:
And with the time lapse I am certain I need to retake the class =/ ( almost 2 years )
Your certificate does not expire, unless something new passes where you need more range/classroom hours to qualify, but that has not happend. Your instructor may be nice and let you sit in his class for free to brush up on the laws. Our traning team up here does that, but im not sure how they are down state.