• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

College Student saves lives in GA

riverrat10k

imported post

Saw this this morning. Guns save lives!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html

College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader
Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009Updated: 6:41 pm EDT May 4, 2009

COLLEGE PARK, Ga. -- [/b]A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they’re thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident.

“Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all,” said student Charles Bailey.

TOM JONES: College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader[/b]

Bailey said he thought it was the end of his life and the lives of the 10 people inside his apartment for a birthday party after two masked men with guns burst in through a patio door.

“They just came in and separated the men from the women and said, ‘Give me your wallets and cell phones,’” said George Williams of the College Park Police Department.

Bailey said the gunmen started counting bullets. “The other guy asked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough,” said Bailey.

That’s when one student grabbed a gun out of a backpack and shot at the invader who was watching the men. The gunman ran out of the apartment.

The student then ran to the room where the second gunman, identified by police as 23-year-old Calvin Lavant, was holding the women.

“Apparently the guy was getting ready to rape his girlfriend. So he told the girls to get down and he started shooting. The guy jumped out of the window,” said Bailey.

A neighbor heard the shots and heard someone running nearby.

“And I heard someone say, ‘Someone help me. Call the police. Somebody call the police,’” said a neighbor.

The neighbor said she believes it was Lavant, who was found dead near his apartment, only one building away.

Bailey said he is just thankful one student risked his life to keep others alive.

“I think all of us are really cognizant of the fact that we could have all been killed,” said Bailey.

One female student was shot several times during the crossfire. She is expected to make a full recovery.

Police said they are close to making the arrest of the second suspect.

Copyright 2009 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.[/i]

I love a story with a happy ending!

rat

bohdi

imported post

You mean these "kids" were actually responsible enough to DO something? The only reward the defender is going to get other than still living is expelled, watch. Glad to hear the victim who got caught in the cross fire will make it.

chiefjason

imported post

Generally speaking "apartment" is an off campus term and "dorm" being on campus. Most dorms don't have patio doors either. I find this incredibly interesting and always have.

"“And I heard someone say, ‘Someone help me. Call the police. Somebody call the police,’” said a neighbor.

The neighbor said she believes it was Lavant, who was found dead near his apartment, only one building away. "

So what I am seeing is that after commiting a serious crime, being foiled in the crime, then being shot, you runout screaming for the police! Brilliant! All the crap the at-riskkids I used to work with would talk about cops, then that is the first thing anyone does in an emergency. Call the cops. :banghead: That mindset has alway baffled me. "Yes officer could you please help me. I was just trying to rod those folks and somebody shot me. What's up with that?" Sheesh

ChinChin

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Another argument for CCW on campus. I wonder if the Brady Bunch will cover this self defense - 10 lives saved - story?

Of course they will; although they'll focus on a different aspect of the story:

"Student with a gun causes girl to be shot during robbery."

YllwFvr

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Please stop Dustin, you are making me crave a Tarrentino movie.

:lol:

Good for them! I bet he is a hero to more than a few people there.

Of course I am willing to bet something negative will come out of this. First I bet the police took his gun. I bet the college will be talking to him, maybe security doing a random check to see if he is armed on campus.

Id buy that guy a beer! Or a milkshake if he was under age ;)

N00blet45

imported post

Happy Birthday! You get to live.

They should have just stayed cowered in fear and let the masked men have whatever they wanted. They definitely shouldn't have fought back.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Not to be negative - he needs more range time.

Hope that the young lady that was shoot doesn't hold him responsible and realizes that he probably saved her life.

+1 on taking action.

Yata hey

BabyGlock

Ashland (I delete what my friend wrote), Oregon, U
imported post

Wow!!The college student with a gun in his backpack!! Way to go!!

Good thing someone had a gun in his backpack!!!

Just think what would have happened if no one had a gun on them!!

I always carry (in my purse), and this is a re-enforcement of why it is a very good idea to do so...

Babyglock

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BabyGlock wrote:
Wow!!The college student with a gun in his backpack!! Way to go!!

Good thing someone had a gun in his backpack!!!

Just think what would have happened if no one had a gun on them!!

I always carry (in my purse), and this is a re-enforcement of why it is a very good idea to do so...

Babyglock
Good to carry but there are much, much better places to carry than in a backpack or purse.

Neither allow for good accessibility and can be lost in a struggle.

Give some thought to a good holster, please.

Yata hey

BabyGlock

Ashland (I delete what my friend wrote), Oregon, U
imported post

well, the problem is that I live and work in a very liberal town (Ashland) and I would lose all my business in one fell swoop! I need to pay my bills... I would like to have work that was in a conservative area, that would be nice to be myself and not pretending to be on of them. Perhaps one of these liberals will confide in me and I will pass the info on. (I'm probably dreaming, but you never know...) Anyway, I carry in my purse until I have different clientel.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The 'count the bullets' thing did not bode well.This would've been ugly. This is a perfect example of WHY students (or anybody else) need to be armed. Too bad for the girl who was shot... Not clear how that happened... other than she might'a freaked and ran betwen the shooters.

The 'Brady's' will never admit to this... and will prob'ly attempt to block national coverage. I hadn't heard about it here (yet) 'til today on this forum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The 'count the bullets' thing did not bode well.This would've been ugly. This is a perfect example of WHY students (or anybody else) need to be armed. Too bad for the girl who was shot... Not clear how that happened... other than she might'a freaked and ran betwen the shooters.

The 'Brady's' will never admit to this... and will prob'ly attempt to block national coverage. I hadn't heard about it here (yet) 'til today on this forum.
If it can't be sensationalized into something bad or scary, you seldom will.

That is why we scour the news, LE reports and such for positive defensive use of guns and spend so much time and effort countering the lies, distortions and misinformation of the antis.

Yata hey

KS_to_CA

imported post

WHERE IS THE BRADY BUNCH? WHERE IS THE BRADY BUNCH? WHERE IS THE BRADY BUNCH? OMG! OMG! OMG! GUNS KILL PEOPLE!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am pretty sure the National Liberal Media is going to bury this like the Venus Ramey of waynesburg, Kentucky and the story of the Appalachian law school event.

imported post

If enough people emailed someone at Fox News (perhaps O'Reilly), maybe a bit of attention could break through the vast "media leftist purchase" *anyone smell MSNBC??* of the major news conglomoson this story...

Recon' I'll fire an email for the hell of it......